Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shane Walsh
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes that is the score in games of 1960 that me and two mates Geoff and Robert have accumulated over 3 years or so of playing .

We all love the game but only get to play it whilst on holiday and hence it's on slow rotation in our gaming sphere .

We have all spent time playing either candidate in roughly equal measure but have this rather startling statistical anomaly which seems to increase in disproportion every time we play .

Now is it just us and our peculiar experience ?

May there be a "Groupthink" issue where similiar strategies have been followed most times and led to the same result ?

Or is it purely an anomaly that will soon right itself ?

Geoff in particular pipes up with his "Nixon can't win" refrain every time we play now as results are tallied but we don't want to see this great game consigned to "Never play again because it is unbalanced status".

That said what comments/thoughts/strategies/experiences do you 1960 players have to aid us ? .............

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Ulman
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I don't have any opinion regarding the balance of the game. However, two player victory point games like this are easy to balance through a bidding scheme:

At the start of the game, one player bids a number of electoral votes. The opponent can outbid or pass. Then the player who won gets to choose which side he/she plays, but looses that many electoral votes to his/her opponent at the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quinn Munnerlyn
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a 14 game winning streak on 1960 at one time consisting of 13 Kennedy wins to 1 Nixon win.

I've lost all 4 games since ending that streak as Kennedy.

I think to get a better understanding of the balance you should switch up opponents every now and then too so you're up against different tactic sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Moore
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
It may be you're applying some rule wrong? I'd be interested to know about any tactics or strategies you all are using heavily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gibson
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played the game dozens of times and all feel that it's a balanced game. There are distinctions in the manner in which a player applies to Nixon or Kennedy, which can result in less than optimal results. All I can suggest is that repeated strategies can result in similar results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.