Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Me

I am a big Dixit fan, I have purchased six copies of this game, three of which I have given away (a copy of Dixit 2 and Odyssey to my sister, and a copy of Journey to my game night host who introduced me to the game). I have not yet purchased J for myself, because I'm always playing the copy of at my host's house.

In an end of year wrap geeklist, I did a quick write up of how I think the family interacts and I thought I'd turn it into a slightly longer review. As an architect I think about this shit way too much....

Initial thoughts that got derailed into the auxiliary stuff

For me 1 is the granddaddy and I still think it has the best art (I am particularly fond of the cat and fishbowl). Because Marie is the artist for 2, I think the two make the best pairing. For any normal human being that is just about right. You don't actually NEED more cards than that. And since I feel Dixit bogs with more than 6 players, you really don't need the extra chits either.

However, O's score track is nice, and it is nice to be able to add a couple extra player bunny tokens if you need it. However the voting placard sucks monkeynuts and we never use it. Instead we just use voting chits from 1, and if there are more players we use dice from a copy of Perudo (you can always add 2+6=8).

J has the nice "feature" of adding more voting chits, unfortunately they used the same bleeping colors as 1. That was a very unfortunate oversight because now they aren't as easy to use as supplemental voting chits for 7+ players. However, we make do and we do use the J chips if we have more than six players. And of course we just completely ignore the stupid plastic pawns of J.

So in summary we use the O scoretrack and bunnies (since they sit better) with the 1 and J voting chits. But really we don't love Dixit for the scoring right?

We love it for the ART.

And for that I have to say J has turned out to be an excellent expansion. If you are happy with your Dixit 1 and Dixit 2 cards and you don't feel the need for more, then you should just stick with that pairing.

However, if you're a Dixit hoarder like me, then you most likely purchased O. Because the penciller was a different artist the O cards really stuck out like a sore thumb even though Marie was the colorist. I also think the art in O was not open ended as 1 or 2 (nor of J) which is why I consider O to be the weakest of the bunch. (Its why I didn't buy J blind, I didn't want to be burned again).

For J however, they came in with with a completely different artist and art style. I think you would have a similar visual discombobulation if you slipped J into a 1+2 deck, but it works really well when you include it into a deck of all the expansions. It creates a deck where there is now enough visual variety that it actually eliminated the jarring-ness of the O cards.

As for J on its own. The cards are really quite excellent. Its all digitally painted (YMMV), the colors are gorgeous, the art is beautiful, and I think the depictions are open ended like the first Dixit. Our first couple plays of J were as a standalone game and we were "oohing and ahhing" all the new cards. If I had to judge each deck individually I'd put it just a hair ahead of 2 but behind 1 (my absolute favorite). However I reiterate that I think that 2 pairs better with 1.

Recommendations in a Nutshell

My base recommendation would be for 1+2 because it is nice to have that many cards at the least and they make an excellent pairing and I think a game runs better with two decks. Maybe a 1+J deck could also work, but I think the visual dissonance would make for a weaker pairing.

If you want to additional cards to 1+2 then you should get O+J together, either O or J alone would be a visually jarring addition to a 1+2 deck. Maybe a 1+O+J deck would work, but O is just the weakest of the four (though not bad, just not as good).

But if you really want ONLY ONE Dixit, I would recommend 1, but you must look at J before making your decision. You might find that prefer the digital painting style of J and it would make an excellent standalone game even though you'd miss out on the wooden bunny meeples.

Postscripts

If you want the game tonight, I suggest you go to your local big box Target or Walmart. They'll almost certainly have J and you can't go wrong with that. Maybe Barnes and Noble would have 1? But really if you want to Dixit, and you want to do it tonight, and you don't have an FLGS, J is pretty easy to get your hands on.

If you live with very conservative folks, I would recommend considering J. I think overall the art is a less dark than that of 1. This is entirely subjective, but I remember someone watching us playing 1 a couple years at a friend's christmas party (at her parent's house) ago and remarking how spooky it was...and I would not pull out Dixit for my extremely religoiusly conservative father (he made me throw away Titan as a kid).

My host got a copy of Dixit Jinx for Christmas. I'm really excited to try out the game but I have not had a chance to do so. As an architect who had Modernism shoved down my gullet for eight years in school, I suspect that *I* will quite enjoy the abstract art of Jinx, but I am not surprised that people who like the rich art of the big box games have not found it as enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience is that Dixit Jinx just doesn't have the clean scoring system that makes Dixit work so well. It's a nice concept but it just doesn't work as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Macias
Spain
Esplugues de Llobregat
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice review. I just tried Dixit Journey today for the first time with 5 non-gamers and it's been a blast. Everybody had a lot of fun. I was a little worried as I got it as a present for my cousin and I'd read that the art, gorgeous as it is, wasn't as open-ended as the original Dixit, but I find it was alright. Maybe a tiny little bit less open-ended but in no way as bad as I've heard people say.
As I said, beautiful art, awesome game and a great time to be had with the family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Victor Mancha wrote:
Very nice review. I just tried Dixit Journey today for the first time with 5 non-gamers and it's been a blast. Everybody had a lot of fun. I was a little worried as I got it as a present for my cousin and I'd read that the art, gorgeous as it is, wasn't as open-ended as the original Dixit, but I find it was alright. Maybe a tiny little bit less open-ended but in no way as bad as I've heard people say.
As I said, beautiful art, awesome game and a great time to be had with the family.

No, if there has been complaints about it being "too" closed, I'd say its overblown, though I do have such objections for Odyssey (though again more in a comparative sense than anything).

Very happy it worked out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.