$10.00
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently posted photos of some clear deck boxes that I made for Summoner Wars and Sentinels of the Multiverse. It was requested that I post a tutorial on now to make them.

I recorded a video, which is now on YouTube. I'm linking to it from here. If there's a better forum please let me know.

The video is a little choppy and twice the camera crashed. I'm using my iPhone 4, and had too much video already on the phone. Sorry. I hope it's still helpful. I'm happy to answer any questions, but hope I was clear enough that you won't have any.

Thanks for watching!

http://youtu.be/QOTqQxWHHTQ
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
nice idea. hadnt thought of using transparency plastic before. its creasing ability makes it ideal and sturdy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool! I'll have to try that, thanks for sharing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sen-Foong Lim
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea! I think there's a market for such things...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice post/idea.

Two thoughts:

1. I wonder if thicker laminator pouches would also work?

2. I use the tuckbox creation "powerpoint" file (that can be found elsewhere here on BGG?) and wonder if printing that framework to the transparency might be a quicker/easier way to get all the folds.

Will look into next time I need to make some boxes. Thanks again for sharing the idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Ada
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You ever travel to Delaware with your tools???

Great job
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Koeppen
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
LEGO: Hopeful for new 'Castle' sets in 2015!
badge
Games: Regarding my favorite theme of 'Fantasy', I'm hoping for fewer 'card' games and more 'board' games.
mbmbmbmbmb
wmreed wrote:
I'm happy to answer any questions, but hope I was clear enough that you won't have any.

Ooo, you're good!

In all seriousness, this is a great idea, and well executed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
say "em-cee-crispy"
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing that I could think to add would be a tag of some kind to assist removing the boxed deck from the game box insert. After all, it will fit just that bit more snuggly than before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not been an issue with the games I've done this for, but I see your point. I think, however, that the "V" I make for removing the cards will give you a grabbing point.

If not, it would be simple enough to use one of the scraps cut out, and tape it on wherever a tab might work best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Excellent idea - I spent part of this evening following this for my new Smersh cards. ;-)

I modified the process in a couple of ways:

- When taping the back of the box together I placed some double-sided tape on the upper side of the lower flap (if that makes sense) to avoid it falling down into the inside of the box when the cards were removed, making it trickier to put them back.

- I didn't cut the v-shape, since my OCD made me annoyed that I couldn't get it perfectly even and centred. I tried using a circular punch to cut a round hole in the same way I've done in the past for card tuckboxes, but it bent and distorted the plastic... in the end I just cut the whole box about a centimetre shorter than the cards. They're still held in pretty well, and it makes it a lot easier to grab them to get them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Ada
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife has made these for our CO2 and Snowdonia cards today. She is thinking about adding a "velcro closed flap" to really hold them in, but the customization of each deck looks like it will not let the cards escape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
(After leaving and returning to my stack of neatly-held-together decks of different thicknesses, there's another extra I'm going to have to add: labels on each one so that I know which deck it is that fits precisely into this particular box!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
(After leaving and returning to my stack of neatly-held-together decks of different thicknesses, there's another extra I'm going to have to add: labels on each one so that I know which deck it is that fits precisely into this particular box!)

Interesting thought. Since I haven't actually pulled the decks out for a game, I've not run into that. But CABS is tomorrow night, so I'll find out. A small adhesive label on the bottom should be easy enough to add without blocking the view of the decks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nickerson
msg tools
I find that printing a tuckbox pattern directly on to atransparency works well. I use a utility knife to cut the lines, then use the back of the blade to score the bends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
Yes chieftain?
badge
Let's ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
What stores carry transparency film? The pack of laminator pouches I have wasn't thick enough to suffice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Live Long and Prospero
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters.
mbmbmbmb
I am constantly amazed at the creativity of this community and its eye for taking ordinary objects (like transparency film) and making it into something else!

Thank You! (I now have to go do this for every game I have.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
trobriand wrote:
What stores carry transparency film? The pack of laminator pouches I have wasn't thick enough to suffice.

any office supply store will have them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Kissling
Switzerland
Olten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried it out yesterday evening. So cool! 10min and you have your transparent deck box.

Thanks a lot for sharing this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve F
United States
wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
transparencies cost $40 a box at staples, so instead I got some sheet protectors from Walmart. Same material but thinner gage.
Still works and I found you do not need to cut out the notch on top of the box to get the cards out because the boxes made with the thin material is flexible enough you can squish the card out by pressing on the bottom of the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kat Tastrophy
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea and thanks for posting the mov. I am definitely going to experiment with transparencies to created deck holders for gameboard placement as it would be nice to place the tall sleeved Mythos cards on the board without all of them falling over. Most awesome! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Live Long and Prospero
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters.
mbmbmbmb
Went to Staples today to make these boxes. Yeah, transparencies are $40+ a box. However, I found binding report covers (for those binding machines) at $13 for 25. It seems to be a little stiffer plastic. Hopefully, it will still work.

Edit: The Binding covers work great. Very stiff and easy to use. This is a great thing for your cards! http://www.staples.com/Fellowes-Crystals-Binding-Presentatio...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! Great follow-up ideas! I had a box of transparencies in the file cabinet so that's what I pulled out, but what you guys are doing makes total sense!

I'm glad my idea is working for you!

Bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
manko wrote:
transparencies cost $40 a box at staples, so instead I got some sheet protectors from Walmart. Same material but thinner gage.
Still works and I found you do not need to cut out the notch on top of the box to get the cards out because the boxes made with the thin material is flexible enough you can squish the card out by pressing on the bottom of the box.

I've kept this most excellent project in my mind since March, yesterday I was in Austin, where I do not live, and dropped by a Goodwill where I found a full box of 100 for $2.99.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Reed
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
wmreed wrote:
Have fun!

Thanks. I plan on using this for Dominion and two expansions. With that volume, I'll be able to make one for size, and then cut all the rest before assembling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.