Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
229 Posts
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [10] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » BoardGameGeek Related » BGG News

Subject: BGG Secret Santa 2012 Wrap Up - Santas, Grinches, and recruiting Volunteers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cesar Puga
Brazil
Itajai
SC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, thanks Octavian for running this, it was awesome again.

Well, I had a great time with my target. The taunting was great and I was really happy to see that he liked it too when he posted here.

Unfortunately, I haven't heard from my Santa. Not even a note saying he sent something.
Living in Brazil, I know I have to (and I even expect to) wait a while for my packages, specially this time of the year. But I have bought Stone Age for a friend on Nov 25th and it arrived within 2 weeks (shipped by USPS).
So, what bugs me is that my Santa could have GM me to say something. If he sent the gift, he should be anxious that I haven't put it on the list yet and a message would help a lot.
Not to mention that I kept my wishlist frozen, not buying from it and letting good deals pass by: Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Blow out sale... I guess at least I saved some money, right?

I'm sad that I have to fill the "grinch" form, but I feel it's important to find out what happened. Maybe it was just a misunderstanding but if it was not, it will be good to tell a Santa from a grinch.

Nevertheless, I was so delighted with the reaction of my target that I'll definitely come back again next time.

Cheers!

UPDATE: Santa arrived!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jamieson
United States
Purcellville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got a note from Santa! I knew he wouldn't forget about me, he said package should be here soon. Can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Cash
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will there be a notification that all replacement secret santas have been assigned? I am eager and happy to help, but if it is not needed funds can then be reallocated to my personal game budget. whistle Thanks!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M Monin
United States
Branford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
skr8cash wrote:
Will there be a notification that all replacement secret santas have been assigned?

They get assigned in waves. Most of them will be assigned at the end of January/beginning of February, but there will be others well after that.

If you want to be removed from the list at any point just let me know. Thanks for signing up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canadian Dave
United States
Lehi
UT
flag msg tools
Wise men say, forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza.
mb
I can't remember if I sent in my missing santa report or if I only thought about sending it. Should I submit/resubmit due to selective memory (if only I could select what it remembers)? shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T
Canada
South Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This was fun even reading all the posts of what everyone received. My SS bailed this year unfortunately, but I still liked shopping for my target!

There should be a Summer SS!

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JD Cash
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
skr8cash wrote:
Will there be a notification that all replacement secret santas have been assigned?

They get assigned in waves. Most of them will be assigned at the end of January/beginning of February, but there will be others well after that.

If you want to be removed from the list at any point just let me know. Thanks for signing up!

Thanks for the reply! I want to help if possible. Keep me on the list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M Monin
United States
Branford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
dblayton wrote:
I can't remember if I sent in my missing santa report or if I only thought about sending it. Should I submit/resubmit due to selective memory (if only I could select what it remembers)? shake

Go ahead. If it's a duplicate I'll remove it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Tjäder
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for organising this, Octavian! This is the third year I participate and I can't complain

My Santa this year has contacted me and provided me with instructions to track the gift. However, the "tracking" provided by the store is nothing more than "Shipped on 07 Dec 12", and they guarantee delivery in 30 days, which means their deadline is next Monday.

They also only accept complaints about non-delivery for 10 days after that deadline. I have edited my profile adding a note for Santa asking to notify the store next week, but have received no acknowledgedment from him.

I am posting this here in hopes that Santa is stalking me or reading this thread

This is in no way a complaint, just an attempt to ping my Santa.cool

Have a happy 2013, everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Iordache
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Octavian, for organizing this. I'm sure no one is left behind.
This was my first SS and, even though I didn't receive a gift, I will definitely take part in SS2013.
I'm happy at least that my target got the games and he likes them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canadian Dave
United States
Lehi
UT
flag msg tools
mb
Yay! Santa contacted me again! I knew he wasn't a scrooge because he taunted me for a month before disappearing. Problems come up. I'm just glad s/he's ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Walerko
United States
Endicott
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My Santa was a complete no-show. It's unfortunate, but I'm glad my gift made it to Germany and is (hopefully) being enjoyed by its new owner. I'm also very grateful that there is such a positive community here to offer support to those of us that were grinched.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink...
mbmbmbmbmb
I went ahead and put in a complaint - I really hope my Secret Santa will come through though because his last note was so promising.

Hopefully it'll come soon.

Thank you for doing this as always, Octavian!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to echo Octavian that it would be great if you could add an entry to the Secret Santa gift list with the gifts you received! Each year we tally up those entries to see which gifts proved to be the most popular. You can check out that list here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Soonsin Lee
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Than ks for a great Secret Santa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Nivet
Ireland
Cork City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be that guy, and off-topic.

Imagine you're a Secret Santa and you send D-Day Dice as a gift to your target with the following message:

"I hope you enjoy your gift! Signed, SS"

...What are the chances?

yuk

Oh and back on topic, I love the Secret Santa initiative! I received my gifts (thanks again Santa!), I know my target received theirs and they had a great time with it. That's what I love to hear.

So much so that I signed up as a volunteer replacement, not that I can afford a million Secret Santas but that way I hope that the gifts I'll send will be the source of many a happy memory.

And that's what it's all about for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1st I want to say thanks again for running the Secret Santa! I look forward to it each year, and this year was no exception. I do, however, have a question. I'm not sure if I should be filling out a grinch form or not. I finally received a message from my Santa on Jan. 2nd stating that my package was on its way. I just recently received another message from him stating that his order was never sent and is currently "pending", with no further information. I don't mean to be surly or suspicious, but I also don't know when the cut off for appealing for another santa is and I'd hate to miss out. Please advise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Lake Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StAtiC9 wrote:
1st I want to say thanks again for running the Secret Santa! I look forward to it each year, and this year was no exception. I do, however, have a question. I'm not sure if I should be filling out a grinch form or not. I finally received a message from my Santa on Jan. 2nd stating that my package was on its way. I just recently received another message from him stating that his order was never sent and is currently "pending", with no further information. I don't mean to be surly or suspicious, but I also don't know when the cut off for appealing for another santa is and I'd hate to miss out. Please advise.

I say fill out the form just in case. Octavian will check into it, and I would bet he does it politely initially and does not get rude or pushy until a Santa either ignores him or appears to be lying.

If I had been late sending my target a gift, I would not be offended if I was contacted by Octavian as a follow-up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
Artist: Shohei Otomo
mbmbmbmbmb
DancerInDC wrote:
I'd like to echo Octavian that it would be great if you could add an entry to the Secret Santa gift list with the gifts you received! Each year we tally up those entries to see which gifts proved to be the most popular. You can check out that list here.

Does that mean we should create a separate GeekList item for each game received? I was one of the many that created an item for one game and just mentioned the other in the post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mousey
Netherlands
Santpoort-Zuid
a nice small town near the sea
flag msg tools
ESSEN The Game: SPIEL '13 Featuring Jonah
badge
RWC2015: Can't wait for it to start.
mbmbmbmbmb
reitoei wrote:
DancerInDC wrote:

Does that mean we should create a separate GeekList item for each game received? I was one of the many that created an item for one game and just mentioned the other in the post.

Just mention the other games in your post, but be sure to write them as boardgame links (insert boardgame).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mousey wrote:
reitoei wrote:
DancerInDC wrote:

Just mention the other games in your post, but be sure to write them as boardgame links (insert boardgame).

Roger dodger - done and done. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mousey
Netherlands
Santpoort-Zuid
a nice small town near the sea
flag msg tools
ESSEN The Game: SPIEL '13 Featuring Jonah
badge
RWC2015: Can't wait for it to start.
mbmbmbmbmb
reitoei wrote:
Mousey wrote:
reitoei wrote:
DancerInDC wrote:

You're welcome Santa

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canadian Dave
United States
Lehi
UT
flag msg tools
mb
Santa came. You can ignore my premature complaint. laugh

I've posted on the list what I received and want to give a shout out to an awesome Santa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua R
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
GO TO JAPAN!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mousey wrote:
reitoei wrote:

You're welcome Santa

Haha - you found me. Well played! Happy new year to ye'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl McLaurine
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...Not one single peep.

Grinched.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [10] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.