Cadwallon: City of Thieves» Forums » General

Subject: Is this Game done? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Nesbitt
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey everyone!
I was just wondering if anyone has any insight into the future of this game.
I've been playing since it first came out, and while it isn't perfect has a lot of fun elements and theming to it.

That said, recently I've started to wonder what it's future is.
Fantasy Flight Games bought Dust Games a few years ago, and with it the rights to the Cadwallon universe. They released City of Thieves and Re-released Arcana (Which is phenomenal if you're looking for a deckbuilding game).

Recently, however Cool Mini or Not Games had a Kickstarter running for a game called Guilds of Cadwallon and at the end of it they announced they'd be packing in stuff for the new Conflict game (Which was a miniatures game that Cadwallon originated from by a company that went bankrupt).

I guess this just has me confused.
CMoN is going full speed with new Cadwallon games... Does that mean FFG sold the license?
Is City of Thieves dead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG didn't buy Dust games. They just have a publishing agreement with them (which they bought from AEG).

Now, try to follow this (and I'm not sure about all the details, but that is what I know):
When Rackham went bankrupt, they sold the Confrontation/Cadwallon license to Cyanide Studios, which is a video game company.
They, in turn, gave Legacy Miniatures the license to create new miniatures (and the new miniature game Confrontation: Phoenix) in this universe.
Coincidentally (or not), the owner of Legacy is also the owner of Dust Games (or Dust Studios).
Legacy Miniatures had an exclusive deal to sell their minis through Cool Mini or Not, which is, I think, what gave CMoN some rights on using this universe, which allowed them to publish Guilds of Cadwallon.

Makes sense? Not to me, really, but I'm glad they are keeping this very imaginative universe alive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Done? FFG just released a big expansion for Cadwallon: City of Thieves. It is great by the way. I just wished they had released prepainted minis for it. I cannot believe they are going to make me paint my own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Nesbitt
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks Raviv, that answers a lot. You're right, it doesn't make any sense, but it does remove the concern that King of Ashes was the last Cadwallon piece to get published before trading hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I got from this thread was there is more Aarklash/Cadwallon coming. This is good. I love Arcana and really want to get my hands CoT and the expansion. I wish the RPG was still in print, not that I really have a group to play with, it'd be mostly for the fluff. Still, I'm glad this universe survived the death of Rackham.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just picked up the computer game Confrontation from Steam earlier this week on sale... it was like $4 or something like that instead of $20. Pretty good game if you like the storyline. Just FYI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.