Subject: Reflective Hide Abuse rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Piata Esquire
Canada
Etobicoke
flag msg tools
mbmb
All but 2 people were dead in a 6 player game. I had Reflective Hide and my friend would attack me, then abandon Tokyo when he got the 1 damage bounce back.

This created a situation where it was impossible for me to heal because I started every turn in Tokyo. All he had to do was attack and abandon Tokyo until he won.

Were we playing this situation correctly? On the surface, it seems right but not entirely fair either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
A big part of this game is taking the best advantage of situations. All's fair in monster city rampaging. I believe that you always have the option to discard a Keep card of yours, so you could have (and should have) done that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only leave Tokyo when someone attacking you rolls a claw, and you only enter when you roll a claw (and there's an opening).

So if your opponent clawed you and your reflective hide damaged him, you could still leave and he still must enter. Thus, you should not have to start every turn in Tokyo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Modreski
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
So if your opponent clawed you and your reflective hide damaged him, you could still leave and he still must enter. Thus, you should not have to start every turn in Tokyo.

I believe what Piata is describing is actually different. Let's say Piata has Reflective Cyerbunny and the opponent has The King.

The King is in Tokyo. The King attacks and does damage to Cyerbunny. Cyberbunny reflects 1 damage back, and The King runs from this reflected damage, thus putting Cyberbunny back in Tokyo.

This is hardly a foolproof strategy though. If The King attacks while The King is OUT of Tokyo, you can retreat and thus start your turn out of Tokyo. And The King might not roll any claws while in Tokyo.

More to the point, I'm not sure on this, but I don't think that's really how the rules work. Reflective Hide does damage to the attacking monster, but is not an attack, and you only can retreat from Tokyo when you get attacked. I don't think a power card that does damage would allow you to retreat either.

Quote:
I believe that you always have the option to discard a Keep card of yours, so you could have (and should have) done that.

I'm not seeing that in the rules. If it is there, can you point out where? (Though I can't see many times it would matter).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
I believe what Piata is describing is actually different. Let's say Piata has Reflective Cyerbunny and the opponent has The King.

The King is in Tokyo. The King attacks and does damage to Cyerbunny. Cyberbunny reflects 1 damage back, and The King runs from this reflected damage, thus putting Cyberbunny back in Tokyo.

Cyberbunny doesn't go into Tokyo in this case. You only go into Tokyo on your own turn, when you roll one or more claws and there is room in Tokyo for you to enter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my understanding is you can only leave tokyo when someone does dice damage to you, not effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sin Sam
msg tools
Damage and attacks are two different things. Tokyo can only be yielded to attacks. The only way to attack is with a claw roll during the normal dice-rolling phase of your turn.

Reflective Hide damage does not count as an attack. Discard cards that deal damage do not count as attacks. Poison token damage does not count as an attack. The only way to attack is by rolling claw dice.

Even if Reflective Hide damage did count as an attack, you would only start every other turn in Tokyo, unless you somehow let him attack and claim Tokyo and then allowed him to yield it to reflected damage in the same turn. If that's what happened, then you played two rules wrong. And even then you'd be getting 3 VP (1 for entering Tokyo and 2 for starting there) for every 1 of his.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.