Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a follow up to my last session report, I did some more mixing of the TOS/TNG sets to see how well they fit together.

First session was a 3P TNG starbase against the TOS exploration deck. For the TOS deck, all missions (standard and infection) were mixed together. We played draft five, keep three from the draft missions. There are no terribly interesting stories to be told here as interactions of the TNG cards should already be known to players who have both sets. Without the bonuses from the TOS starter cards and because the TNG starbase cards tend to have slightly smaller stats, it did take a couple of turns longer before players were able to get their deck moving. The non-draft missions are less demanding and war events are equal for all players, so the 6+ cost TNG card were able to handle most of those missions. So, in short, the game requiring a few more turns to complete confirms my suspicions that the TNG cards are weaker than TOS cards, but they still manage to hold their own surprisingly well.

Next session is a free for all with both TNG/TOS starbases and TNG/TOS missions mixed together, but players did not start with draft missions. Players started with the TOS starter deck, but basic characters in starbase were the TNG versions. (Warning: If you do this yourself, note that Ensign/Commander shirt colors are swapped between the two sets. So read the card, not the color.) Goal was set to 500. Derrick acquired two TNG transporters early on with the intent of using a "pull what you need" strategy. I managed to complete a TOS mission on the third turn which awarded two character upgrades, pushing me into three commanders and the ability to buy really good cards much earlier than the other two. I jump to a 175 point lead after three rounds. A few turns later, Derrick used a Comm Badge and a tricorder to diplomacy a warship (4/4/4/10 stats) and was able to catch up to 125. After that, comes a great story...

Ken has McCoy who can ignore all damage if you get your diplomacy up to seven. He flips a war event whose tie breaker is Diplomacy plus XP. I've got K'Mpec which allows me to do something not normally possible - If I trash him, I can attack both players during battle, which I am willing to do if it means pushing forward my lead. Dad puts out McCoy an Ensign, and a Lieutenant which I'm ignoring because there is no attack value. Derrick has a few cards with speed and attack, so I'm watching out for him. Dad puts down a tricorder on the Lieutenant for +2 diplomacy - still ignoring him. I drop my second to last card, holding back K'Mpec for last so I can figure out who I need to crush before battle starts but then Dad plays comm badge allowing him to fish two commanders out of the discard, putting 6 more XP and +2 diplomacy on his bridge. This triggers Bones' effect (ignores all damage). Nobody can damage him, nor can they even come close to the 16 points needed to win the tie breaker and then proceeds to use the 9XP to purchase Abe Lincoln. Next round, Bones pitches in again, allowing him to diplomat a 5/5/3/9 Bird of Prey for another 75 points. A few rounds later and the game is virtually tied with all of us just shy of 300.

At this point, all three players can complete most missions at will because they own starships and good cards. However, three more war events sprinkled in tend throw some chaos into the mix, making deck builds more important. Derrick is still a little behind because his transporters kept popping right after shuffles making them useless and I had junk in my deck due no trashing mechanisms and players ganging up on me during war events back when I had an early lead. Ken's more streamlined deck proves to be most dangerous winning two of the three battles (again, using McCoy to win combat immunity). Also, using an Energize card, he is able to rig the Abe/Mccoy combo, plus 3 diplomacy from the starship means that both events trigger making him unstoppable.

Final scores: Derrick 400 / Me 375 / Ken 500

Thoughts: Its really difficult to draw conclusions from one playthrough where we saw only 1/5th of starbase and 1/4 of the event deck. For awhile it seemed like players were doing better when they had higher a TOS/TNG card ratio in their hand or deck. (To be fair, the double transporter strategy was something not tried before, so Derrick's score could be simply due to experimenting. He certainly would not have caught up without that Warship.) However, the effect of gaining a flagship also created swings and, at the end of the day Ken did have a leaner deck with better combos. Also relevant is that combining starships with the TOS deck can get really dangerous. Granted, an Abe/McCoy combo would be powerful even in a standard TOS game, but using either of them to win a starship which then feeds their own ability is probably not something that the game developers had in mind. Similarly, flagships feeding Type 2 phasers can create an XP engine that was probably not intended either. The TOS cards have rather interesting and powerful effects on their own with a cleverly built deck, but adding a flagship to the mix can yield some crazy powerful stats. Its actually kind of fun if you don't mind a chaotic/powerful type of game (*cough* Legendary *cough*), but it also highlights the criticisms that people have with flagships in the TNG game. If I ever do try this again, I would probably take the ships out of the encounter deck and put the emphasis back on the deck building aspect of the game. Given how well the TNG cards faced the TOS events from the first session, the integration of the sets isn't as bad as I feared it would be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carlson
United States
Westford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the write up, good to see that someone else is enjoying this excellent deck builder!

I liked how your session identified different ways to combine the sets. I have found that there are a lot of ways to do this, and the results certainly seem to vary depending on what you throw together.

My wife and I really enjoy the Borg Invasion cooperative scenario! I haven't tried this with the TOS crew yet, but I am eager to give it a shot and see if Kirk and the gang can deal with this TNG menace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Vore
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your session reports a lot. I've got little play time with the TNG version but I like the mechanics of it a lot. I really need to get the TOS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.