Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guidance is internal.
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw this via Lifehacker yesterday and knew some of you creative types might be able to find a use for it. She made her own modified tool, but I wonder if a full-on Dremel tool could do the same without modification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Well, yes. Dremel is a brand name of rotary tools, which Fran is using. She discovered why the one she bought was cheap and replaced parts to de-cheapify it. So, yes, buying a Dremel to start would be the same thing.

Just like she uses her benchtop DC supply and voltage regulator, the Dremel's is incorporated right into the tool. They go from 5K to 30K RPM.

Fran is not happy with the quality of the weld, which I think is fine for the styrene head that is jumping about. One could insert an abrasive head into the tool and work the weld smooth, just like metal welders do.

If you're interested, you don't have to buy a Dremel and you don't have to go all the way to the opposite end of the spectrum like Fran did. There are plenty of house brand rotary tools that are quite inexpensive. In Canada, go for Canadian Tire's Mastercraft version.

I love this thing, will buy the 100 MIL styrene rods ASAP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guidance is internal.
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

Well, yes. Dremel is a brand name of rotary tools, which Fran is using. She discovered why the one she bought was cheap and replaced parts to de-cheapify it. So, yes, buying a Dremel to start would be the same thing.

Right, I have a Dremel, I just wondered if the torque would be better than the Harbor Freight junk rotary tool she manually upgraded. The optimal RPM's aren't necessarily her main concern as the motor actually slowing under load due to lack of amps (like a low-hp router dying on hard wood). Harbor Freight tools are virtually disposable, so I avoid them now. I didn't want to modify my Dremel to do this unless I absolutely had to. I guess a test of my stock Dremel is in order!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guidance is internal.
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, here is a link to some rods that was included with the lifehacker article:

http://www.amazon.com/50-Piece-Plastic-Welding-Rods/dp/B004Q...

And the original lifehacker article (has some decent comments):
http://lifehacker.com/5972326/friction-weld-plastic-with-a-r...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty cool, but if you're welding styrene or most plastics, use a plastic weld solvent. much more elegant.

tenax, plastrux, ambroid, plasticweld to name a few are not glues, they melt the plastic and if you put enough on it and push, a bead will push out of the joint which you can scrape off for a seamless join.

that being said, I would like to try that... it might be cool for something that needs to look like a weld.

Fran is adorkable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:
Pretty cool, but if you're welding styrene or most plastics, use a plastic weld solvent. much more elegant.

tenax, plastrux, ambroid, plasticweld to name a few. they melt the plastic and if you put enough on it and push, a bead will push out of the joint which you can scrape off for a seamless join.

that being said, I would like to try that... it might be cool for something that needs to look like a weld.

I knew of this but didn't remember, if that makes sense.

Now I feel stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guidance is internal.
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:

tenax, plastrux, ambroid, plasticweld to name a few are not glues, they melt the plastic and if you put enough on it and push, a bead will push out of the joint which you can scrape off for a seamless join.

Fran is adorkable.

Yeah, I saw those also mentioned in various comments. I wonder how a strength comparison would stand up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.