Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Prime Time
United States
New Plymouth
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the differences between the recent FFG version and the original english AEG/Dust games edition? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have the new version, but it looks to be identical, except I've heard the rules have been cleaned up a bit (although not really changed).

Played one game so far and really enjoyed it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Clensy
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recall from another thread that the only difference is the FFG version doesn't have the nifty insert that the AEG version had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes, it has the default cardboard insert that's in all FFG games. With baggies, I made this work, but it's of course not ideal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keegan Fink
United States
Havertown
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Side note: I hate the FFG cardboard "trench of doom". My first step is to (almost) always throw out the insert, and move all of the pieces into an artbin/plano plastic storage box / bags. The lack of vacuform inserts for FFG titles makes my eye twitch.
shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep it about half of the time. It really depends on the components and if having the cardboard separation of components actually helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got the new version with the Trench of Doom to hold the parts... it works fine.

I have standard sized card protectors that I use to keep the cards separate. These sit nicely between the box's side and the little flip-up bit of cardboard in the bottom of the trench. The other side fits the player cards between the box edge and that side's flip-up bit. The middle of the trench holds the plastic figures, boulder and walls... everything fits nicely and doesn't move around ... and set-up and clean-up is fast.

If you take out the trench.. well.. you'll have lots of little bags sliding all over the box.. which wouldn't be the end of the world either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the gameplay is the same? I just ordered the game so I am curious

I have no problems with the FFG inserts btw. I prefer it since I can sleeve the cards and they will still fit inside the box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Gallagher
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My main question concerning the AEG version vs. the newer FFG version is if the box size is now a standard box size and why the gameplay image on FFG's website shows an extra treasure card across from the rope bridge.

The original AEG version's box was slightly larger than the standard FFG or Days of Wonder box size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The box size is standard; same as Pyramid of Horus.

There's only one treasure across from the rope bridge. The treasure of Chac is across from the waterfall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never played the first edition.. from reading the forums it seems like they've just explained things better. I did see some people suggest as a variant to make the stone of Chac worth 9 points.. it is worth 9 points already in my new edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
History In Action Games
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a PDF available of the new rule book anywhere?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eat2surf wrote:
I never played the first edition.. from reading the forums it seems like they've just explained things better. I did see some people suggest as a variant to make the stone of Chac worth 9 points.. it is worth 9 points already in my new edition.

I thought it was worth 6 in the FFG edition...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanderdecken wrote:

Haven't found one. I can check a rule for you if you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
History In Action Games
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
dojogrant wrote:
Vanderdecken wrote:

Thanks Grant, I have the AEG edition game. I was just wanting to check out the general layout and wording in FFG's version and keep a PDF of it for future reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lo Ma
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gallaghertm wrote:
The original AEG version's box was slightly larger than the standard FFG or Days of Wonder box size.

That's odd - I have the original AEG edition, and the box is the exact same size as Ticket to Ride, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanderdecken wrote:
dojogrant wrote:
Vanderdecken wrote:

Thanks Grant, I have the AEG edition game. I was just wanting to check out the general layout and wording in FFG's version and keep a PDF of it for future reference.

Yeah, I download everything to iBooks myself, but FFG hasn't posted the rule book online yet for some reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Gallagher
United States
Stafford
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LoMa wrote:
gallaghertm wrote:

That's odd - I have the original AEG edition, and the box is the exact same size as Ticket to Ride, etc.

I took a picture of my AEG copy of the first Adventurers. I bought mine at GenCon in 2009 as 1 of 100 being sold about five months before it arrived in stores. Maybe that's why mine is slightly larger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
mbmbmbmbmb
gallaghertm wrote:
My main question concerning the AEG version vs. the newer FFG version is if the box size is now a standard box size and why the gameplay image on FFG's website shows an extra treasure card across from the rope bridge.

Yes, looks like there's an extra alcove to make the bridge more interesting. I think I've read that some treasures values have been changed, too (not only the "6" treasure)...
And also there should have been crossover character stats for Chac / Horus, but I don't know if it has been implemented.

It would be cool if someone would care to list the treasure values in the new edition (a pic of the new bridge treasure area and card would be nice too)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roolz wrote:
gallaghertm wrote:

Yes, looks like there's an extra alcove to make the bridge more interesting. I think I've read that some treasures values have been changed, too (not only the "6" treasure)...
And also there should have been crossover character stats for Chac / Horus, but I don't know if it has been implemented.

It would be cool if someone would care to list the treasure values in the new edition (a pic of the new bridge treasure area and card would be nice too)!

The bridge has a value 5 idol and a place to put it is on the board.. the round rock of Chac is worth 9. .. the Jades are still worth 4.

From the rules I didn't see any differences during a quick skim of the old rules. When I get a chance I'll look through the treasure decks for you.

Edit: The Wall room decks are the same
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you need to open the alcove or is the value 5 treasure just up for grabs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to attempt to grab it (dice roll) while on the bridge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dbc- wrote:
Do you need to open the alcove or is the value 5 treasure just up for grabs?

You have to make a 2nd load check on the bridge.. so.. move onto the bridge and roll to check the bridge for falling pieces... then make another roll to check the bridge again for falling pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cedric DUNAT
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard that the river's treasures are less valuable.
Is there someone with the new version who could tell us the values of the river's cards ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
River Cards in the revised edition:
2 value 4
3 value 3
4 value 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.