Popular Tags: [View All]
Johnny Haines
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Hi folks,

I just found some ASL stuff I bought back in the early 2000s which includes the 2nd Edition 1st printing rules binder, module 2 (Paratroopers), and Squad Leader map boards #1 - 4, and ASL map boards # 6, 8, 20, 21, 22, 23, and 24.

I would really like to get into the game now (having never played it), but it seems quite dense, and I can't find an ASL Starter Kit, or when I can, they are ridiculously priced. Same goes for the Beyond Valor supplement.

That said, any suggestions on where to get those products at a fair price?

Failing that, any other suggestions on how to get started?

Finally, are the previous editions of Beyond Valor much different than the 3rd Edition? I have seen some of those at reasonable prices. What about the 2nd printing of the rulebook? Am I good to go with the 1st printing binder?

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how much you want to spend. But you may be able to play some with what you have. The Paratroop scenarios were designed to be easier.

Rules 2nd edition is preferable, but the differences are mostly clarifications.

Beyond Valor. At some point you want this. I think 3rd edition is preferred.

There is a thriving ASL community in Austin. Hook up with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Henninger
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Johnny,

here's a link to that excellent Austin group:

http://texas-asl.com/

Click the Austin link in there and you should be good to go.

They may have some leads on sellers.

CSW is a good spot also.

http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.ee6b46b/54315

Pete
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Cocke
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The first printing of the ASLRB 2nd edition is the same as subsequent printings except that later printings updates the dividers to fix some errata. You should be able to pencil that in from our website.

BV3 is an excellent value and highly recommended, but you would get plenty of use and value of out BV1 (although you already have the boards it contains 20-23).

As previously mentioned, Paratrooper (when combined with boards 1-4) has all you need to play the classic scenarios therein.

That being said, you might still want to start off with ASLSK#3 or ASLSK Expansion Pack 1 which are both readily available and provide the streamlined SK entry into the world of ASL dudez, gunz, and tankz.

We are working on getting ASLSK#1 back into print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Haines
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the super fast replies, folks.

So based on that info, a few follow up questions:

ASL Starter Kit 3 has all I need to learn and play the game in an introductory format (I don't need Starter Kit 1 and 2 as well?

Does Beyond Valor 3E have hardback map boardsJ

The boards 1 thru 4 that I have for the original Squad Leader - Are those the same boards 1 thru 4 for ASL?

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Baume
Australia
Lismore
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flakpanzer wrote:
Thanks for the super fast replies, folks.

So based on that info, a few follow up questions:

ASL Starter Kit 3 has all I need to learn and play the game in an introductory format (I don't need Starter Kit 1 and 2 as well?

Correct. SK#1 is Infantry only, SK# is Infantry and Guns, while SK#3 is Infantry, Guns and AFVs. Each SK builds on the previous one so SK#3 has all the rules found in SK#1 and SK#2.

Quote:
Does Beyond Valor 3E have hardback map boards

No. It has the thinner SK-style boards.

Quote:
The boards 1 thru 4 that I have for the original Squad Leader - Are those the same boards 1 thru 4 for ASL?

They are essentially the same. The artwork has been up-dated for the new SK-style boards but they are the same boards. Both style of boards are compatible with each other.

Quote:
Thanks again!

No worries!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vicca
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The third edition of BV is a very packed box and has the advantage of having the night counters, more map boards and more scenarios.

Having said that, you can play for decades without ever playing night games.

SK3 or SKEP are more complex than SK1 but the rules are still less than 20 pages so either is fine to start with. They are also "one box" games and totally self contained.

Unless money is no object, I would pick up a second hand copy of BV to start with and go on from there. If you have local players, you may not even need to do that as you only need one set to play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Haines
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Great info.

Thanks again, folks.

One additional question - What supplement has the counters needed for aircraft (like the Stuka illustrated in the rules binder)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Roundhill
United States
Lago Vista
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Vinnie37 wrote:
If you have local players, you may not even need to do that as you only need one set to play!

He definitely has local players! There is a gameday almost every Saturday in Texas - Austin is normally the first Saturday of each month, but January has been pushed back to the 19th. ASLSK, ASL, and a little more!

Johnny, come join us at http://www.texas-asl.com. We are friendly and happy to teach.

Third edition of BV is easier for new players because it has more, making it easier to collect everything, but is not required.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know exactly how aircraft were reprinted, but mine came from Yanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Hadady
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
Flakpanzer wrote:
Great info.

Thanks again, folks.

One additional question - What supplement has the counters needed for aircraft (like the Stuka illustrated in the rules binder)?

You get Axis/Allied DB & FB in BV & YA.
You get Ja FB in CoB.
You get Hu & So FB in Festung Bud.

There may be others, but I think that's it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Cocke
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hadady wrote:
Flakpanzer wrote:
Great info.

Thanks again, folks.

You get Axis/Allied DB & FB in BV & YA.

Generic Axis/Allied FB and Axis DB lanes are in BV3 and Yanks but not BV1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.