Subject: Learning to subscribe to a geeklist. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope there is something I am missing in geeklist subscriptions.

When I subscribe to a geeklist, it tells me every time a person comments on any geeklist item. This is way more than I almost ever want.

What I want is to subscribe to a geeklist and be told if a new geeklist item for that geeklist comes up.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
After you subscribe, you can click the little drop down arrow next to it and Edit Subscription and turn off getting comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you can also go to your Subscriptions and click Preferences and set up your defaults there, then you won't have to do that every time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Shiny!
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
This arrow:

If you go to the GL and it says Subscribe, then your subscription was triggered by a game or some other subscription. Then only your global preferences will have effect and you won't see Edit Subscription in the pull down menu.

You might be able to fix the above situation by subscribing and then Editing Subscription, but the global subscription might override the local settings. I'm not sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm aware how to turn off getting comments.

Is there a way to subscribe to a geeklist and have it tell you when new geeklist items are made?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geeklist Item is one of the options you can turn on/off when editing the subscription or your preferences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think geeklist item is telling me when someone comments on an item, rather than there being a new geeklist item on the geeklist.

What I do know is that not infrequently one of my geeklist subscriptions will be highlighted with "5 geeklist items" and I will go to the geeklist and the list won't have any new items on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Shiny!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the options from the right column of Subscription Preferences:
GeekLists
Geeklist Items:
Comments:
GeekList Items
Geeklist Items:
Comments:

New/changed(?) GL Items
Global GL comments (those at the bottom)

New(?)/changed GL Item (individual item subscription)
GL Item comments
Also note that at the bottom of the left column, trade GLs have their own settings.

I'm unsure what's going on with the "5 geeklist items" case. One thing to watch out for is the Titles Only function, as it marks everything in the GL as read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
I think geeklist item is telling me when someone comments on an item, rather than there being a new geeklist item on the geeklist.

What I do know is that not infrequently one of my geeklist subscriptions will be highlighted with "5 geeklist items" and I will go to the geeklist and the list won't have any new items on it.

It could be that someone is editing their item, rather than a new one being added, as an edited item will show up in your subscription as a new item. Hence why things like G4GG don't allow multiple item edits, as that triggers everyone's subscriptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Shiny!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
It could be that someone is editing their item, rather than a new one being added, as an edited item will show up in your subscription as a new item. Hence why things like G4GG don't allow multiple item edits, as that triggers everyone's subscriptions.

I think you've got it, there. Although I said "New/changed", I didn't connect the dots from changes to the 5 GL items cases, even though I see that all the time with reference GLs. Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.