United States
Greentown
Indiana
flag msg tools
I won the 1993 GenCon DnD Open
badge
My Game Convention Logo
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine mentioned they've been playing Fromula D using the SFB impulse chart. Players roll dice simultaneously using their current gear... then mark their speed on the impulse chart. Then you start with impulse one and reference which speeds move. You continue working down the chart until everyone has completed movement. This makes movement happen all at the same time. It seems like an interesting way to play and I'm going to try it out.

Here's a link to the chart: http://www.starfleetgames.com/sfb/sfin/32imp.pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken K
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a rather interesting way to try to play, given the way the cars would move. It would significantly slow down play though. I am interested to hear how this works out and may even try it myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Spears
United States
Athens
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree that, for me, it would probably slow the game down. Playing SFB felt like an eternity. There's also the "slimmed down" chart for Federation Commander.

Alternately you could also use a Car Wars Movement Chart.

Each turn is broken down into 10 phases, speed determines which phases you move your car. You would have to equate the die roll to an MPH speed (or just equate it out like you would the SFB chart).

Have you added Photon Torpedoes to Formula D yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Schwartzberg
Canada
Thornhill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rasslor wrote:
Have you added Photon Torpedoes to Formula D yet?

I know I could get a lot more players if they did .

I would be interested in hearing how the impulse chart idea works out. Has anyone play tested? Anyone want to post a review?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny O'Donnell
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rasslor wrote:
You would have to equate the die roll to an MPH speed (or just equate it out like you would the SFB chart).

That part's easy, at least. 10 times the die roll is supposed to correspond to the car's speed in kph. The conversion might end up being a little awkward, though.

(each turn is also supposed to correspond to an amount of time that makes the scale of the tracks surprisingly accurate. I think it's either 6 or 10 seconds, but I don't remember for sure.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Borba
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played formula d using the star fleet battles impulse chart. One thing very interesting to come out of the experience was what happens when two cars, on the same impulse, plan to move into the same space. I decided this would result in one of the cars being "out-manuevered". This meant the car not being able to move into the space either lost that impulse or had to pick a different space. Deciding which car was able to move into the new space was based on priority using the following:

1. driving at faster speed (higher gear)
2. if same gear, highest roll
3. car on the inside lane

Rules for blocking had to be modified. Instead of possible collisions or having to spend break points, the blocked car would simply lose the ability to move during the impulse, effectively "breaking". The extent of how much they had to break was based on how many impulses were lost. This led to many instances where true racing took place. Cars were able to move into spaces in order to block others.

This brought up an interesting "true racing" scenario in which much slower moving cars stayed out of the way of faster moving cars, purely from having driving etiquette.

A rule we had to implement is that one couldn't self block, in other words, deliberately driving into the back of a slower car in order to slow down their car. This would result in break points being used.

I loved playing this way, but it certainly wasn't everyone's cup of tea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Kjær
Denmark
Malling
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
How was the playing speed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InNC
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MSBorba wrote:
I have played formula d using the star fleet battles impulse chart. One thing very interesting to come out of the experience was what happens when two cars, on the same impulse, plan to move into the same space. I decided this would result in one of the cars being "out-manuevered". This meant the car not being able to move into the space either lost that impulse or had to pick a different space. Deciding which car was able to move into the new space was based on priority using the following:

1. driving at faster speed (higher gear)
2. if same gear, highest roll
3. car on the inside lane

In the past I designed a similar system for Speed Circuit. Instead of a priority system, like the above, I actually had complex charts to resolve "who got the space". This chart could result in crashes so contesting with a faster car could result in a lot of hurt feelings!

(And yes I would consider it a valid in-game decision to cut someone off in a later race if they cut me off in this one!)

(I don't remember F: DE rules that well but,) In Speed Circuit you had to use all your movement points. I allowed a "one free breaking" per turn. You would use this to avoid either running into someone, or to not contest a space with someone. After the free one, you started paying Wear penalties.

I just played this solo, but IT WAS INTENSE! It really felt like racing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Borba
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
took a long time

With a group, played normal

Solo, used impulse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.