Popular Tags: [View All]
Johnny Haines
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Hi folks,

As I mentioned in my other thread, I just found a bunch of ASL stuff I bought in early 2000. At the time, I simply punched all of the counters out of the Paratrooper boxed set, and sorted them into bags.

In going back and looking at them, I noticed that there are a lot of sprue nubs on the center of each side (because I punched them rather than using an Xacto knife, or researching beforehand).

I have read several threads about clipping corners, but I haven't found anything that specifically discusses the best way to remove sprue nubs from the side of counters after they have already been punched.

Does anyone have any advice, or links they can point me to? My initial test attemps with an Xacto didn't really work as well as I had hoped.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Ing
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A nail clipper is what I used on the old ASL counters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Johnny;

This has come up a number of times including that grand thread on counter-clipping.

There doesn't seem to be a consensus on how to deal with the side-nubs. Different people mention different approaches, for example nail clippers, but no solution seems to really get the job done.

I tried sanding but that doesn't work at all. It ruins the counter.

I think a chief problem is that it's sort of not 100% solvable. The side nubs are small areas that are not initially punched by the die. So, that part of the edge is not curved over like the rest of the edge of the counter. So, no matter how closely one shaves the side nub down, it still looks like there is a nub.

This is different from nubs on the corners because in rounding (clipping) the corners, the problem area is removed altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin REEVE
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good scissors work well too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Florie
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found that a steady hand and a razor blade work very well.

Cheers,

Josh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Reynolds
Georgia
Brezhnevograd
Former Upper Caucasus
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Convex nail clippers.

Left side of image.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.