Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From my understanding an emergency happens every turn, and requires a player to use their turn to clear the emergency. With this being the case, surely the fire fighting aspect of the game means it is very difficult to ever start solving the crime? I'm just wondering how you find the time to solve the murder?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the game, but Tom Vasel's review implied that you could just let emergencies fester for a while.

Is there any way to clear more than one emergency in a single turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From reading the rules and reviews, I do not think you need to clear emergencies every turn. Emergencies come in different colors, and only when you have two emergencies of the same color does it become critical.

Also, from my reading of rules you will not necessarily get an emergency every turn. I believe emergencies come from the Event deck; you draw an Event card every turn, but there are other cards in there besides emergencies. (I could be wrong.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ole Steiness
Denmark
Herlev
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything John said is correct! You do not have to clear Emergencies EVERY turn, and not all Events are Emergencies - they can still pose some unwanted challenges, though :-)

Cheers,

Ole Steiness,
Game Designer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
steiness wrote:
Everything John said is correct! You do not have to clear Emergencies EVERY turn, and not all Events are Emergencies - they can still pose some unwanted challenges, though :-)

Cheers,

Ole Steiness,
Game Designer

Would I be correct in describing it as a few neighborhoods might have an ongoing gang problem but as long as they keep it to a minimum the police can focus on the more significant crimes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cactus god
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
steiness wrote:

Cheers,

Ole Steiness,
Game Designer

Would I be correct in describing it as a few neighborhoods might have an ongoing gang problem but as long as they keep it to a minimum the police can focus on the more significant crimes?

This sounds correct to me...that's how I think about it. Realistically, the police can never be everywhere at once and must devote their resources where they feel they are needed the most. Perhaps the gang members are just loitering ;p
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ole Steiness
Denmark
Herlev
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that is one way to look at it...

Also, I added in special events that have odd rules that needed descriptions on the cards themselves, as they require special handling.
I don't wanna reveal all the fun, but one example is the getaway car - it does not have a colour code, but it is time limited and mobile (obviously) and cannot be stopped simply by rolling your usual Emergency Handling dice.
There are other events like this, to keep things fresh - including some events that aren't bad as such, but offer interesting choices to be made...
You might not even get through the entire Event Deck in one game, which means different draws makes for whole different game session experiences. One night your group might loose to the bad guys because you didn't focus enough on the Emergencies - but the next gaming night, you might loose because you didn't see problems rising rapidly in the Bad Hoods, or you failed to see the Street Riot coming... But all that is for you guys to experience, in your own gaming sessions - which we will love to read about on BGG, of course!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jda1974 wrote:
From reading the rules and reviews, I do not think you need to clear emergencies every turn. Emergencies come in different colors, and only when you have two emergencies of the same color does it become critical.

Also, from my reading of rules you will not necessarily get an emergency every turn. I believe emergencies come from the Event deck; you draw an Event card every turn, but there are other cards in there besides emergencies. (I could be wrong.)

John makes a good point here. There is not an "Emergency Deck" there is an "Event Deck", and a certain percentage of those events are emergencies.

Also keep in mind that (as has been pointed out in this thread), not every emergency is a huge problem (right away).

Also worth noting is that, if not properly dealt with an urgent emergency can move the Crime-Track, BUT...

This does not mean that the game is over just because the track moved one time, it must move several times for this to happen, sssoooooo...

A big part of the game is strategically allocating resources to issues. Deciding what issues, when, and how is the challenge to the police Task-Force.

How well this is done (along with a little bit of luck) determines the success or failure of the Police.

It's all about getting done what needs to get done BEFORE falling off the "Crime-Cliff"!

Remember time is ticking during the game and the goal of apprehending the murderer must be met before the Crime-Track or the Calendar-Track deem the game to be over.

surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.