10 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: Hello, i need advice. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ploppy Mac Ploppy
msg tools
Hello,

I'm completely new to boardgames in general but i have a pressing question i was hoping to ask, many years ago i played a game called Hero-quest, i don't remember much of it as i was quite young at the time and it was my cousins that did all the rules and stuff, but i'd really like to play something like that again, some hero's entering a dungeon and battling monsters, and maybe even one player being able to be a dungeon master, is there anything like that today? It doesn't necessarily have to be fantasy, could be futuristic, also i'm not averse to something complicated either, i have time and am willing to learn.

I'd very much appreciate a recommendation if there is anything like that, thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan. These are 'permanent microbadges' to free up space on my microbadge row
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fnool wrote:
Hello,

I'm completely new to boardgames in general but i have a pressing question i was hoping to ask, many years ago i played a game called Hero-quest, i don't remember much of it as i was quite young at the time and it was my cousins that did all the rules and stuff, but i'd really like to play something like that again, some hero's entering a dungeon and battling monsters, and maybe even one player being able to be a dungeon master, is there anything like that today? It doesn't necessarily have to be fantasy, could be futuristic, also i'm not averse to something complicated either, i have time and am willing to learn.

I'd very much appreciate a recommendation if there is anything like that, thanks

The farther down this list you go, the farther you get away from what you're asking about, but any one of these might fit the bill.

HeroQuest
Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game (part of a whole family of games)
Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game
Battlestar Galactica

I'm not familiar with which of these might still be available new, but you could probably find them if you look around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin bad

Reno
Nevada
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Descent: Journey into the Darkness is a pretty good match for what your describing. Its a good and can be played as a campaign.
Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game is a coop and is a little lighter than Descent. Those would be my suggestions of the top of my head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wolfe
United States
Imperial
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello!

I loved Hero Quest when I was growing up as well.

There are several games out there that bring a similar experience to the classic dungeon crawl.

I reccommend Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)

Descent puts one person as an evil overlord (dungeon/quest master) and up to four heroes in a modular game board that can change from session to session. The game comes with a campaign and scenario book where you can string multiple scenarios together for a grand campaign. It is a new release, too, so it is highly likely that new campaign books will be created to support the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuckhazard
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm FREEeeee..ee..e..e...
mbmbmbmb
There is Super Dungeon Explore, a anime chibi style game, and Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition), a more traditional style fantasy dungeon crawler. For scifi Doom: The Boardgame, I don't know if it is still in print. Those all have one player control the monsters and everyone else as the players. Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game has all players working together and the monsters behave according to a set of rules. You could browse the The Definitive DungeonCrawl GeekList and find many other examples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zombicide is like a dungeon bash, only set on the streets, and in buildings, during a zombie apocalypse, all the monsters are different types of zombies, and you search rooms for weapons and items instead of opening chests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ploppy Mac Ploppy
msg tools
Wow thank you very much guys, i wasn't expecting such a quick response, i really appreciate it because i had no idea where to begin, the boardgame world is a little overwhelming at first, at least for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just thought of another one:

Munchkin Quest - which is a dungeon bash that doesn't take itself, or the theme in general, at all seriously. It is also based on a card game (Munchkin) that similarly doesn't take itself or it's theme(s) seriously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Roy
United Kingdom
Bath
GB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fnool wrote:
Wow thank you very much guys, i wasn't expecting such a quick response, i really appreciate it because i had no idea where to begin, the boardgame world is a little overwhelming at first, at least for me.

Well done for asking! In addition to some solid recommendations there are two more that I thought of.

Claustrophobia is a very popular 'dungeon crawler' with great excitement and drop-dead gorgeous (or anti-gorgeous and gruesome) components. It is just a 2 player game, and is relatively simple but has enough strategy for a ton of re-playability, not to mention the fact that it is scenario driver and new scenarios keep coming available online for free.

The second is Catacombs, which has the exact theme you're looking for AND a 'dungeon master', although this player plays against all the other players. What makes this game stand out is it's completely driven by a flicking mechanism - you literally flick discs representing your both your character and any projectile they may fire. The goal is to hit discs representing monsters and the like (and their goal to hit your character disc!) with yourself or your projectiles, like wizard spells or arrows. On the way you can pick up new weapons, health, etc. You play the same character through the game, but it plays quick. Great fun, but might not be what you're after.

Good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.