Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:

d10-3 Oh no, not at all. I just got away from wargames, and so I kind of lost what modern wargames were all about. I have a real urge to try 1812: Invasion of Canada as a soft step into wargaming again.

1812 is highly recommended! Also, for iOS, do yourself a favor and play Shenendoah Studio's Battle of the Bulge. It's a masterpiece!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
You have been denied our Costanza play through video due to my computer deciding to take a vacation.

Rebuilding it now.

Hoping to unleash this wonder on you tomorrow.

Oh, and I got my bio in from next weeks Geek of the Week. Woohoo!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bravo! Congratulations, Rodney!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snoopys J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geek of the week

Huge congrats Rodney! I hope I'm not too late with some questions!
I've been reading this thread all week but yet to post anything!
I wasn't aware of Geek of the week until you were nominated and to be honest I can't believe you haven't been nominated before

Your videos are superb.
High quality, clear, instructional and fun!

I first came across watch it played when soda pop miniatures mentioned the super dungeon explore playthroughs on Facebook.

I'd been fantasying over that game for a good long while but hadn't bought it yet. There wasn't many video playthroughs online and when I saw watch it played it clearly stood out as being of higher quality.

I then watched nearly all of the WIP back catalogue and have been a fan ever since. This also brought me to BGG and to find out about all these amazing board games.

I'd grown up thinking that board games were mainly like monopoly or risk as these other games are harder to come by in the uk and don't get stocked in major retailers.

I'd played wargames like 40k and board games like heroquest etc but didn't know about all these other board games which blur the line between a wargame and a board game. It really opened my eyes.

As I think most board game questions have been covered I thought I'd try something else, forgive me if there's a cross over with any already asked.

Questions
What kind(s) of music do you enjoy?

Do you have a favourite band(s)?

I know you enjoy iOS games but do you play any computer/console games, if so what?

What's the best board game conversion to video game you've tried?

What's the best video game conversion to board game board game you've tried?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Hasson
United Kingdom
Derry
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Rodney,

Already posted my congrats on being Geek of the week but at time could not think of a thing to ask you but finally I've got something!

d10-1 Ok, I know why you always score games an eight and so I'm not gonna ask you that again. I am curious however to know your opinion on manufacturer. To you which manufacturer is the most consistent, who in your opinion always hits it out of the park when it comes to games, In quality of design, pieces, playability, rules? Who time after time doesn't fail to impress you (or has yet to)?

d10-2 As a gamer living in a fairly isolated gaming area how did you find a group to play with, as where I am I can't seem to find anyone? So at the moment my gaming group consists of my 11 year old daughter and my wife (if I can ever manage to get her to play!) I have some non-gamer friends who live pretty close by. Do you have any advise on how to lure them to the table? (Would bribery work or the lure of my wifes fine cuisine?)PS She makes a mean Lasagne and a wicked Oreo Cheese cake!

Finally thanks for all the hard work and effort you put into your shows they are a joy to watch and it was my pleasure to donate to your show to keep it going. Oh and if you're enjoying the Joe Abercrombie books wait till you read The Heroes it's a non-stop blast. I would also highly recommend The Broken Empire Series by Mark Lawrence and The Kingkiller Chronicle by Patrick Rothfuss, if you haven't already picked them up.

Oh and one more thing I know you're a big comic book fan so I thought I'ld menton this. I have a friend called Stephen Mooney he's a Comic book Artist and Writer (He designed my avatar which was my wedding invitation). He's in the process of finishing his first creator own comic called Half Past Danger being publish by IDW Comics. It's got Dinosaurs, Dames and Nazis in it and is set around the 30's/40's era. It's due out this spring you should check it out but I'll try to send you a copy if I can get my hands on a couple of copies of the 1st print.

Sorry I've waffled on a bit there, anyway thanks again Rodney and Thanks for Reading

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jtboomer2 wrote:
As a guy in his mid 20s with a semi-stable job and a fairly decent income, but a lack of passion for what I'm currently doing (I like my job and I do it well, but I continue to struggle with changing career interests), what would you say about starting a passion project like WiP? I am reluctant to risk the stability of my current life for what might be a difficult road ahead.

I would certainly caution you. I had several safety nets in place when I started this. First of all, we started small and during the Summer when we had more free time. I still had my full time work to fall back on as this was more of a "free time" project.

Once I was sure I wanted to continue doing this, and there was some financial support from the viewers, I was more confident about dedicating more and more time into the series, but again, I had my wife and her stable income to support us.

Here's what I would suggest. Find a way to funnel your passion into a project you can tackle in your free time. It may not be the fullest expression of what you want to do, but then you can gauge how much enjoyment you are getting out of it and if you see a way forward to continue it.

If you do, great - go to the next step, otherwise, you've tested the waters and no harm done.

Best of luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Son of Zod
Australia
flag msg tools
Pelvidar wrote:
Evenhope wrote:
I have a few questions:
Can you fix this wording on your profile?
Quote:
Could a game have that much complexity? I don't think I necessarily appreciated that complexity did not a good game make, at the time, but it got me exploring games.

Oh my. Thanks for that. Fixed. I think it's a little better now

Change it back...it read better the first time.

BTW, you skipped my question on page 4!

Looking forward to the update of your Zombicide video.

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachid Tabti
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well deserved Rodney! I'm a huge fan of the series too. Keep it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott "Tox" Morris
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:

Any hints?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jörg Wollinger
Germany
Frankenthal
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Toxziq wrote:
Pelvidar wrote:

Any hints?

He/she probably likes boardgames.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sperber wrote:
Toxziq wrote:
Pelvidar wrote:

Any hints?

He/she probably likes boardgames.

Curses, you're onto me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bow B4 Zod wrote:
BTW, you skipped my question on page 4!

Check page 6, my friend

And hey, the new Zombicide video just went online!

I'm 2 for 2 so far today
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark van Eikeren
Netherlands
Hoorn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! I wasn't able to tune in until halfway, so it'll be great to watch the start of it all. And it was great fun to play through it with everyone.

Couple more questions before you have to hand over the baton:

-what kind of activities did you like to do as a kid?

-what were/are your favourite tv-shows, if any?

-I'm currently mainly gaming with my ten year old son, since my gaming group of about twenty years fell apart. What is the most important piece of advice in gaming with your kids you feel you could give?

Oh, and if you ever decide to visit Holland, let us know. I'd love to buy you a beer and talk geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snoopyj wrote:
What kind(s) of music do you enjoy?

Kind of like gaming, my tastes vary. Rock, Alternative, Rap, Classical, some Jazz, some Pop.

Snoopyj wrote:
Do you have a favourite band(s)?

Yeah, listing some bands will give you a better idea of my tatstes. Maybe I'll do what Joel did and post some music vids of some favs of mine later. In the meantime: Starflyer 59, Tragically Hip, Heartless Bastards, Paper Lions, Ben Folds, Coldplay, Arcade Fire, Johnny Cash.

Snoopyj wrote:
I know you enjoy iOS games but do you play any computer/console games, if so what?

I don't regret this a bit, but Watch It Played and boardgaming has made PC/Console gaming pretty much impossible to keep up with. I was enjoying Skyrim when Watch It Played really got going, so that is waiting for me, as is Assassins Creed Revelations, and L. A. Noire.

On the PC, I have X-Com waiting, Guild Wars 2 and a couple other Steam games.

My first computer was an Atari 400, given to me by my brother. I loved playing Pole Position and then later got a Commodore 64 and I remember Impossible Mission 1 & 2 best from my time playing that. I would drop my guy down the pit repeatedly just to hear him holler out, I thought it was pretty hilarious.

These days I do manage to get in some digital gaming in on my iDevices. A lot of them are board games though. Go figure.

Snoopyj wrote:
What's the best board game conversion to video game you've tried?

I think Carcassonne, although a simple game, is done wonderfully as an app. I love playing Summoner Wars, so I'm a big fan of that app as well. Alien Frontiers does a good job too. Today I was trying to learn La Havre on the iPad.

Snoopyj wrote:
What's the best video game conversion to board game board game you've tried?

I don't think I've played any... I'm really looking forward to Plaid Hat Games Bioshock boardgame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Rodney! I've got a few questions for you:
- Now that your week is almost over, are there any topics or questions that didn't get raised that you were hoping would be?
- What's the best thing about living in Prince Edward Island?
- When I visit PEI for the first time sometime in the future - what's the one thing to be sure I don't miss seeing or experiencing?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Martin
United States
Reynoldsburg
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Rodney! You might have seen me lurking around on YouTube as Mathieu Martin. I have been watching you guys since the MoM days and I wanted to make sure to drop in here and congratulate you on making Geek of the Week. Well deserved! Best of luck to ya.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Run with me
Singapore
Singapore
TB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Rodney! Hope its not too late but I want to add to your tally of congratulatory for the award. Congrats! I love your videos

PS: psst... I think Luke and Andrea deserve a pat or two too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aladar Liu
Canada
flag msg tools
Rodney you forgot my question on pg 9 : (
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Coffin
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland and Labrador
flag msg tools
I like trains.
badge
Nikola Tesla, Rockstar Scientist
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Rodney! No questions. Just greetings from one great Canadian island to another!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Thomas
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Geek of the Week is almost over, but I did get a chance to upload a small play through for the occasion.

Back to answer some more questions soon! Cheers.

PS. The one thing I dislike most about not putting ads on my videos is being unable to pick unique pictures for the thumbnail. Then again, you wouldn't get gems like the one above...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Son of Zod
Australia
flag msg tools
Nice video...perhaps Vandelay Industries may yet publish the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bow B4 Zod wrote:
Nice video...perhaps Vandelay Industries may yet publish the game

They sell latex AND family card games. They're quite a diverse company.

Congrats again on the GOTW, Rodney.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Marrero
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Rodney!

I usually stick to the wargame boards, but when I noticed that you were chosen as the Geek of the Week, I had to stop by and and say well deserved. I have enjoyed your videos very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott "Tox" Morris
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:
My Geek of the Week is almost over, but I did get a chance to upload a small play through for the occasion.

Back to answer some more questions soon! Cheers.

We just played a game... NinjaZach, once again, smoked me. Good stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  8 , 9 , 10 , 11 , 12  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.