tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark van Eikeren
Netherlands
Hoorn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwahahahaha! Oh boy, thanks for that, Rodney! I needed a good laugh just about now. And don't feel embarrassed. We all have done things when we were younger that we are not especially proud off.

And thanks for answering all our questions and giving us a bit of insight into the person behind those great videos. I hope it was as much fun for you as it was for us. Looking forward to the new videos and a big wave from Holland to Christy, Andrea and Luke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
boomstick43 wrote:

d10-1 To you which manufacturer is the most consistent, who in your opinion always hits it out of the park when it comes to games, In quality of design, pieces, playability, rules? Who time after time doesn't fail to impress you (or has yet to)?

d10-2 As a gamer living in a fairly isolated gaming area how did you find a group to play with, as where I am I can't seem to find anyone? Do you have any advise on how to lure them to the table?

Thanks for the comics offer! Dinosaurs and dames? Can't go wrong there can you? Onto the answers!

d10-1 I have to admit I don't often note the manufacturers of games, but if we bumped it up to publishers I don't think I could pick anything other than FFG. The miniatures, the tokens, the cards, the art. Almost always top notch. And you just can't deny what Plaid Hat Games, a relatively new publisher, is doing with each release. Their components get better, more plentiful and the art remains strong.

d10-2 Some part dumb luck and some part perseverance. The luck was hearing another gamer mentioned at a comic shop about 45 minutes from me, who actually lives in my area. i looked him up and found out he played Magic with a bunch of other people. We got a game group going based around that, and I slowly introduced board games into the mix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrifterAlpha wrote:
what kind of activities did you like to do as a kid?

Lego. Lots of Lego! Loved to build it, play with it, and collect it.

GrifterAlpha wrote:
what were/are your favourite tv-shows, if any?

The Prisoner (60's version)
Robin Hood (Richard Greene)
Millennium
The Wire
Parks & Recreation
Community
Treme
Justified
to name a few.

GrifterAlpha wrote:
I'm currently mainly gaming with my ten year old son, since my gaming group of about twenty years fell apart. What is the most important piece of advice in gaming with your kids you feel you could give?

I'll give two. Don't force it. And don't overload the variety of games you throw at them. I have to work on the second one the most. I think it's good for kids to see that you can get a lot out of a single game, rather than having to change it up constantly.

GrifterAlpha wrote:
Oh, and if you ever decide to visit Holland, let us know. I'd love to buy you a beer and talk geek.

For sure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fehrmeister wrote:
Now that your week is almost over, are there any topics or questions that didn't get raised that you were hoping would be?

I really can't think of any. I got many more questions than expected and they went beyond what I would have imagined, so well done BGG!

fehrmeister wrote:
What's the best thing about living in Prince Edward Island?

The pace is much slower. You can almost hear yourself think here. Some people might not like that, but I think it's great, even if I don't always slow down enough to enjoy it.

Also, as an island, you're always close to water, if you like that sort of thing.

fehrmeister wrote:
When I visit PEI for the first time sometime in the future - what's the one thing to be sure I don't miss seeing or experiencing?

I think the Greenwich National Park is worth the trip. And for a more touristy location, hitting Cavendish is a good idea. This is a great stop too: http://www.dunesgallery.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Radlad wrote:
Rodney you forgot my question on pg 9 : (

Ack! You'r right. Let's correct that!

Radlad wrote:
If i ever make a trip to PEI, may i join your gaming group for a game

We're a very small group these dys (down to 4-5 sometimes), so we'd gladly take another visitor!

Radlad wrote:
Did Luke take all the luck from you, or was he bestowed with such prowess from your wife?

It's gotta be from Christy. It really has become almost comical how this rolls are skewed to the higher values on average. Or at least it ccertainly seems so.

Radlad wrote:
East coast Canada or West Coast Canada?

Gotta be East Coast! Got love for the West too, that's where my nephews live.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Hasson
United Kingdom
Derry
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:
boomstick43 wrote:

d10-1 To you which manufacturer is the most consistent, who in your opinion always hits it out of the park when it comes to games, In quality of design, pieces, playability, rules? Who time after time doesn't fail to impress you (or has yet to)?

d10-2 As a gamer living in a fairly isolated gaming area how did you find a group to play with, as where I am I can't seem to find anyone? Do you have any advise on how to lure them to the table?

Thanks for the comics offer! Dinosaurs and dames? Can't go wrong there can you? Onto the answers!

d10-1 I have to admit I don't often note the manufacturers of games, but if we bumped it up to publishers I don't think I could pick anything other than FFG. The miniatures, the tokens, the cards, the art. Almost always top notch. And you just can't deny what Plaid Hat Games, a relatively new publisher, is doing with each release. Their components get better, more plentiful and the art remains strong.

d10-2 Some part dumb luck and some part perseverance. The luck was hearing another gamer mentioned at a comic shop about 45 minutes from me, who actually lives in my area. i looked him up and found out he played Magic with a bunch of other people. We got a game group going based around that, and I slowly introduced board games into the mix.

Thanks for the reply Rodney. I have to admit I panicked there for a while thought you had forgotten me! I have to say Costanza looks pretty fun will deffinately be trying it out next time I have a few friends around. Thanks for a Great Geek of the week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I misunderstood the quiz answer, but it seemed like you admitted to doing all 3 choices. Was the rapper one in jest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Hasson
United Kingdom
Derry
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and thanks for the correction I did actually mean publisher not manufacturer. My bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aladar Liu
Canada
flag msg tools
Thank you for the reply Rodney, whenever you are in town in toronto, let me know would love to buy you a beer and take you to our boardgame cafes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardboardjunkie wrote:
Maybe I misunderstood the quiz answer, but it seemed like you admitted to doing all 3 choices. Was the rapper one in jest?

He said the "fashion show" choice was the "lie," because the question said "forced to," and he admitted to willingly volunteering to participate.

(IIRC)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cedro Gomes
Brazil
Aguas Claras
DF
flag msg tools
Pinky: "Gee Brain what are we gonna do tonight ?" Brain: "The same thing we do everynight Pinky. Try to take over the world !"
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations !

My usual questions:

d10-0 How did you meet BGG ?

d10-1 What are the qualities of a good player ?

d10-2 What is your favorite ABSTRACT GAME ?

d10-3 What is your favorite 2 PLAYER GAME ?

d10-5 Can you describe yourself as a gammer ?

d10-6 Do you have any unfulfilled dream ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DanielCG wrote:
Congratulations !

My usual questions:

d10-0 How did you meet BGG ?

d10-1 What are the qualities of a good player ?

d10-2 What is your favorite ABSTRACT GAME ?

d10-3 What is your favorite 2 PLAYER GAME ?

d10-5 Can you describe yourself as a gammer ?

d10-6 Do you have any unfulfilled dream ?

d10-0 In a bar. We flirted a little, I couldn't get her number.

d10-1 Okay, I was tempted to answer all of these comically, but I'm going to go straight with these after all
1) Good hygiene
2) Friendly
3) Honest
4) Focused
5) Patient when I'm taking my turn. Quick when you're taking yours.
(okay, that last one might have been a bit of a joke ... but seriously. Take your turn already. )

d10-2 I break out in an allergic reaction when I post favs on BGG.

d10-3 See above.

d10-5 You skipped the 4th side I really don't know. I know how I want to be. Not sure if I always manage to be it. I hope to be a willing learning of new games, open to new things, concerned more with people having fun then me winning, I'm pretty serious about not being too serious about gaming too.

d10-6 I wanted to be in a film and learn what that process is like. Even as an extra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like my question from pg. 9 got skipped over too! Here it is, when you get a chance:

jigmelingpa wrote:
Rodney, you obviously have a natural gift for speaking and presentation. Do you have a theatrical/dramatic background? Also, does your real life job connect to your video production/gaming in any way?

Also, one more question:

If you could travel to any country in the world, where would you like to go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jigmelingpa wrote:
Rodney, you obviously have a natural gift for speaking and presentation. Do you have a theatrical/dramatic background? Also, does your real life job connect to your video production/gaming in any way?

If you could travel to any country in the world, where would you like to go?

Gah - I remember reading that question, sorry I forgot to answer it! Glad you reminded me.

I don't know if I have a natural gift or not. I look at other people and think they have more natural gifts in that way. It's fair to say I don't mind being in front of the camera though

I don't have any formal training. I always said if I could go back to when I was making decisions about my schooling, instead of pursuing a job for money, I would pursue it because I had a passion for it. Which would have led to me learning film directing in a professional capacity.

You can't go back, but you can make new decisions going forward - so instead I'm throwing myself at this hobby and my passion for it.

Picking a country to travel to is not easy! Since I was little I always wanted to travel to England, so that's up there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Rodney, I know, a late question, but I wanted to ask, in light of some of the rules videos you have been doing for different games (outside of "Watch It Played")...

If you could do a sponsored/payed "How to play" single video on behalf of a publisher, but not necessarily a new game, one that you think would give you the most creative buzz, and the most enjoyment filming, maybe because the rules just give you that "awesome" feeling, or because you would love to work with the components, whatever your reasons might be.. which would be the one you would love to be asked to do and why (and, er, if you could make the answer longer than the question, that would be nice!)

cheers mate, Rick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Hogan
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ricky2002 wrote:
Hi Rodney, I know, a late question, but I wanted to ask, in light of some of the rules videos you have been doing for different games (outside of "Watch It Played")...

If you could do a sponsored/payed "How to play" single video on behalf of a publisher, but not necessarily a new game, one that you think would give you the most creative buzz, and the most enjoyment filming, maybe because the rules just give you that "awesome" feeling, or because you would love to work with the components, whatever your reasons might be.. which would be the one you would love to be asked to do and why (and, er, if you could make the answer longer than the question, that would be nice!)

cheers mate, Rick

(and the answer SHOULD be Magic Realm )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ricky2002 wrote:

cheers mate, Rick

What a juicy question! A couple answers came to mind immediately, but I want to think this over. Maybe I'll make a top 5, in order.

I will return with an answer...

Hmmmm... *rubs chin thoughtfully*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Clarkson
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait to hear this answer because that is 5 more possible additions to my collect!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ricky2002 wrote:
If you could do a sponsored/payed "How to play" single video on behalf of a publisher, but not necessarily a new game, one that you think would give you the most creative buzz, and the most enjoyment filming, maybe because the rules just give you that "awesome" feeling, or because you would love to work with the components, whatever your reasons might be.. which would be the one you would love to be asked to do and why (and, er, if you could make the answer longer than the question, that would be nice!) Cheers mate, Rick

I thought this was a very tantalizing question.

I don't often think of it in these terms. We pick games we want to feature on our series because they strike us in the moment as something we'd like to do. Sometimes, like in the case of Descent, we hope to find an opening to do it. In this case it lined up nicely with a viewer vote.

Occasionally we get an offer to do a paid instructional video as well (which may also be one we wish we could do a full play through of, but doesn't fit into our schedule at that moment).

So here we have it. I can pick any game, and the publisher will throw their full support behind our video, making it financially feasible to pour all kinds of time into the video itself, and providing us with art assets and other support items (perhaps a decorated backdrop set?).

Music we have covered as Chaz would get a nice payment for his efforts as well. I'd soak them for that. Chaz has done such great, tireless work for the series.

There are really three games, and then some runner-ups. You asked for a lengthy reply, well - here goes.

A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)
I don't get to play this game near as often as I would like. You need to right mix of players (yeah, yeah, so does every game, but seriously...) You have to have people ready to invest several hours in the game play. They have to be ready to strategize and think hard and negotiate. No dice to save you here. Just gorgeous components set in an already richly themed world waiting to absorb you in hours of negotiation and backstabbing.

I love games of chance and randomness, but in this game, the chances comes from whether or not your neighbour will keep your word. Beyond that, will they play the card that can beat you, or will they save it for later? Will the ally who stood steadfast by you for five rounds, chose this moment to leave you alone while you're weak?

I never played the first edition. I'm glad I didn't. This version seems so polished and well put together, I can only imagine that the previous edition, while good, had problems on some level.

I would love to do a video to teach this game. I feel it could use it. I don't personally get to play it enough to remember everything, and I would love to create a resource for people trying to share this game with others, so they could come to game night ready to play. And, well, clearly I love FFG games - we've featured their games plenty on our series, and we'll never see practical support from them, I would imagine. We're a small fish. Boy would I love a chance to partner with them on an instructional video though.

Arkham Horror
What was that I was saying about FFG?

Another game of theirs laden with bits and pieces and the ridiculous fiddliness that I enjoy with their games. The kind of fiddliness that screams out: please make an instructional video for me!

I enjoy the theme, and the components and the desperately difficult co-operative play stretched out for more hours than most can commit to. But beyond that, the characters mean even more to me now then they did when I first played because of the impact of launching our series with Mansions of Madness, which takes place in the same universe.

Arkham Horror kickstarted my re-investment into the hobby. And it was a gaming experience I shared closest with my daughter. It has sentimental value.

And of all the games I am requested to cover, it is the one most often asked for. I WILL do this series, without the partnership of FFG I imagine, but I will save it for something special. Maybe it will be old and out of print and the interest will have died out for it, but I'll be waiting for that right moment.

I always told myself it would be the last game we did on our series. I suspect we will do it before then though.

I can't wait that long to resurrect Harvey.

Mouse Guard
I always told myself I would do this RPG first, but I may not... I may do another one first, but this is one I really hope to cover. I've put a fair bit of time into it already actually, creating support materials to be used when creating a character... a rulebook summary which converts it's many hundreds of pages into 10 practical pages.

I love how this game places such a high premium on the story telling, and that its rewards are more control over that storytelling, not simply a flashy new sword just because an arbitrary amount of XP has been collected (and believe me, I enjoy those systems too).

It's conflict resolution system covers combat, a harsh argument, or crossing a tree branch suspended over a hawks nest... and it is so unique I would love to be able to share it with more gamers, especially those who haven't had an interest in RPGs in the past.

I also really enjoy the direct, collaborative nature of the game. Your fellow party members assist you in practical, story related ways and then share in the results of the outcomes.

Love it and look forward to doing it.

Honorable Mentions
Pathfinder RPG Beginners Box: A fantastic introduction to role playing.
Infinity Miniatures Game: I'm not looking to do another miniatures game on the series anytime soon, I don't even know how well this game plays (I'm just starting to learn it), but it sure as hell needs a comprehensive video tutorial - the English translation of the rulebook is a mess. Thankfully the community around it has gone to great lengths to make up for it with an excellent Wiki.
Ambush!: I spent so much time with this as a kid. Again, sentimental reasons, but it could make for a fun collaborative play with the viewers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt - Conduit23
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, awesome response. And, mind sharing your Mouse Guard rules summary?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mdanuser wrote:
Wow, awesome response. And, mind sharing your Mouse Guard rules summary?

I have a lot of cleanup and modifications I want to do to it, to have it release ready, but I will certainly be sharing it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would LOVE to see a WIP on Game of Thrones. It's one of my favorites that doesn't hit the table enough as well.

As for Ambush, please do this if you ever have the time! I traded for the basic box and the leatherneck expansions a while ago, and have been saving them for a rainy month... It would be great to see you introduce this game to a newer generation of players, and follow along with a mission on youtube with you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jigmelingpa wrote:
Would LOVE to see a WIP on Game of Thrones. It's one of my favorites that doesn't hit the table enough as well.

As for Ambush, please do this if you ever have the time! I traded for the basic box and the leatherneck expansions a while ago, and have been saving them for a rainy month... It would be great to see you introduce this game to a newer generation of players, and follow along with a mission on youtube with you!

I think the game would play so well as a video series. Being able to play cooperatively with the viewers in a solo game was a lot of fun for me with Lord of the Rings, so I would really enjoy doing it again.

So tempting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Rodney!

Great answer ! And some great choices.

I think the Mouse Guard idea is fabulous... you could be a real banner carrier for that game , and something so so new and different for you and Watch It Played. What a fabulous way this would be to try something new. That's it, I'm writing letters !! That would be a real test, and I'm sure you would give it 100% genuine enthusiasm as well as the added professionalism. But just how would you fit this into a single video ????! Talk about a challenge !!

I've been so intrigued by the AGoT board game, being a fan already of the LCG (yes, I do hope to feature this again on my channel now I have got some more experience). But I've not seen enough to get a good idea on the game - a video from you guys would do the job once and for all

AH... ohh... a tough one get right.. there is so much to remember ! Of all the games I've done this one was the toughest and took up so so much time. You are right to keep this one in your pocket though, but you gotta be well prepared !

Any ideas on how a MG video might play ? Is there more to it than a rulebook ? what would you show on-screen ? How would you even start ???!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  9 , 10 , 11 , 12 , 13  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.