Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lyle Williams
United States
Tonganoxie
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Rodney!! I always enjoy Watch It Played videos. They are the best! Tell Luke and Andrea "hello" for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew WB
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Totally well deserved - great show! Congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max S.
Germany
Bielefeld
NRW
flag msg tools
Congratulations Rodney!

Your show's awesome and you convinced me to buy some games I wouldn't even have thought of, like Jaipur or even Legendary.

edit: I accidently a word.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Reeves
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well deserved! I've watched every video and purchased more than one of the games featured. Keep up the good work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Urgo
United States
Wanaque
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Rodney...really enjoy your videos. They've gotten me interested in some games I wouldn't have otherwise been interested in (and vice versa, actually ).

My question(s) is...

How often do you actually play games?
Do you play more now because of the video series, or do you think you would play more if you weren't making the videos?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Lawrence
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Congratulations Rodney! And to everyone involved with Watch It Played, this is an extremely informative, and also very entertaining video series. Great work guys. I wish you all the best and continued success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Rooks
Japan
Kobe
Hyogo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rodney, you obviously have a natural gift for speaking and presentation. Do you have a theatrical/dramatic background? Also, does your real life job connect to your video production/gaming in any way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aladar Liu
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi Rodney

Big big congratulation on getting the Geek of the Week, just want to let you know that you are the sole reason for why i am in this hobby right now. I came across your video on youtube while searching for reviews on wrath of ashardalon, and man was i enticed by your presentation of the game. It was all history from there on, i bought four games in a month right off the bat, all because of your informative and charming play through with your lovely family. I was especially hyped when you gave me a shout out during the zombicide play through, i am the ' Aladar from Toronto' . My wallet cries out for vengeance against you, but my buddies and i owes much gratitude towards you. Seriously thou a big thank you, and well deserved.

Questions;

If i ever make a trip to PEI, may i join your gaming group for a game ;D?

Did Luke take all the luck from you, or was he bestowed with such prowess from your wife?

East coast Canada or West Coast Canada?

Thank you for doing what you do

Sincerely
Aladar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
Bahimiron wrote:
As the creator of the Watch it Played geekbadge, this nomination has been very good on my Geekgold bottom line. Wahaha!

Oh, that's so cool, I hadn't thought of that possible impact. Thanks for making the badge!

Bahimiron wrote:
Rodney, do you like reading rulebooks? As someone who hates reading them, your show is a fantastic service for my lazy, easily distracted self. It's funny that you mention Vlaada, since his rulebooks (with the exception of Mage Knight) are probably the only ones that are really fun to read. Dungeon Petz had me laughing out loud. ("Um. It's just a rule.")

I do. I mean I don't, but I do. I really do.

Okay, that doesn't make any sense. The act of sitting down a reading a rulebook is not nearly as much fun as playing the game, but in the same way gamers often enjoying opening a game for the first time and discovering all the goodies inside, I feel the same way when reading rules. "What has the designer done here? Will I read a new kind of mechanism, or use of one? What new ideas about game design might be in these pages?".

Of course, sometimes it's just a jumbled, frustrating mess, but on the whole I like figuring out how everything works.

Bahimiron wrote:
Have you managed to get your wife to play anything with you lately?

She's enjoying Tichu, and I'm hoping to convince her to play a game of Village with me soon.

Bahimiron wrote:
Are you guys still playing Legendary after your playthrough for the series, or has it fizzled a bit for you?

Luke asked to play last night Lately games don't have as much time to fizzle as we've been trying to play through our current collection. Well, that and I've been having a lot of fun with the games we've been learning.

Bahimiron wrote:
Andrea and Luke, what are your current favorite games?

Finally, Andrea is here to answer a question. She is currently enjoying Seasons and Tokaido. Luke is saying Legendary and Looping Louie (we got L.L. for Christmas).

Bahimiron wrote:
Andrea, have you had more of a chance to paint minis? Is it something you're really enjoying now or was it more of a one-time thing for Kola and Andy?

Not a lot lately, her last mini was the Princess from the SDE expansion.

Thanks for the questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kghetto wrote:
Amazing intro video Rodney, and a well deserved honor. Your videos are inspiring to me simply because you are creating life long experiences with your kids when you play these games. My kids are 6, 4, and 2 months and I am just getting starting to have some great experiences with my 6 and 4 yr old.

My question or rather request for you would be to have you fill out your top 10 and hot 10 here on the Geek! Enjoy your week of fame and all the Cash Prizes

Cheers,

Kenny

You know what? I just need to fill out more of my BGG stuff in general! I'm going to take this request as my mission to do that! Thanks for the reminder Kenny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
AaAaAaAaAaAaA! Oh no! You shanked my Jenga ship!
badge
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty, disturbing, uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Rodney!

I just have one question. What are your second, third, and fourth favorite solo games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you enjoy video play throughs and haven't gone to Ricky's channel. Do it. Top notch stuff. http://www.youtube.com/rickkcroyal

ricky2002 wrote:
(1) do you have, or have had, a nickname, and, if so, what is/was it ?

(2) parlez vous francais ? or un autre language at all ?

(3) fave dinner ?

(4) Final question, a board game one: when did you have to stop trying to let the kids win, and begin struggling to win against them ?

1) I had a couple mean ones from the jerks who lived on my street. Kids, Bullys are jerks. Don't be a Bully.

2) Francias, un peu. A very peu. I once made a French song based on all of the French words I know. It became quite well known around my office. It went like this:

Je suis dans
le grande rouge pantalon.
C'est bon, c'est bon.
C'est bon, bonbon.

Les enfants commence
de mange le panatalon.
Arrete, arrete
Ferme la porte.

Yes, I know. It's a masterpiece.

3) I am partial to a good lasagne. Or a box of Oreo cookies.

4) I think Andrea might have been 10 or so. Of course it depended on the game and the luck factor. Luke is 8 and I basically have to try in every game, if I hope to win. Still, we aren't hauling out Twilight Imperium here or anything. I'd like to think I could beat him hands down in a miniatures game, for example. But I'm not going to test that theory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Akashi_12 wrote:
on a more serious note. How do you feel about Gears of War? I am really curious about that and it would be awesome to test that out in your show.

I was tempted to pick up that game when it first game out. I watched some videos over at BlackBeltGaming to set a sense of it, and I didn't see anything I disliked, but I think because I had a number of these kinds of dungeon-crawly type games already on the show (or scheduled for it), I decided not to add that one to the mix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Luc Ramier
Canada
Saint-Jerome
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:
If you enjoy video play throughs and haven't gone to Ricky's channel. Do it. Top notch stuff. http://www.youtube.com/rickkcroyal

ricky2002 wrote:
(1) do you have, or have had, a nickname, and, if so, what is/was it ?

(2) parlez vous francais ? or un autre language at all ?

(3) fave dinner ?

(4) Final question, a board game one: when did you have to stop trying to let the kids win, and begin struggling to win against them ?

1) I had a couple mean ones from the jerks who lived on my street. Kids, Bullys are jerks. Don't be a Bully.

2) Francias, un peu. A very peu. I once made a French song based on all of the French words I know. It became quite well known around my office. It went like this:

Je suis dans
C'est bon, c'est bon.
C'est bon, bonbon.

Les enfants commence
de mange le panatalon.
Arrete, arrete
Ferme la porte.

4) I think Andrea might have been 10 or so. Of course it depended on the game and the luck factor. Luke is 8 and I basically have to try in every game, if I hope to win. Still, we aren't hauling out Twilight Imperium here or anything. I'd like to think I could beat him hands down in a miniatures game, for example. But I'm not going to test that theory.
Haha, I think you should leave the french to Luke!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:

thanks Rodney, but we are more than a few steps away from your success. But, if lots of other folks pick up their cameras and be inspired, what a great thing!

Pelvidar wrote:

Ah, that's sad...I was hoping for something endearing and cute. But here's a thing - when you have kids and they start calling you "Daddy" that kind of makes you bulletproof to bully names.

Pelvidar wrote:

Je suis dans
C'est bon, c'est bon.
C'est bon, bonbon.

Les enfants commence
de mange le panatalon.
Arrete, arrete
Ferme la porte.

haha! fab. Are you sure thus is all your own work, really? If it doesn't have a tune then it needs a tune... I'll write you a tune as une petite treat.

Pelvidar wrote:

Nice... fans can send you those in the post as a treat.. you'll be inundated with lasagne (not oreos, they would get crushed in the post silly).

Pelvidar wrote:

I lose every game pretty much now... I still have the upper hand in chess..but I take soooo looong to make a move.

Great stuff Rodney. thanks! p.s. I check back at 7 wonders earlier and its great to see how much Little Lucky Luke has grown.. I wonder how long the kids will keep playing.. we hope as long as possible. Bye, have fun, Rick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SimGuy wrote:
The year you were born I'd already been playing D&D for a year... You make me feel old. zombie

The young whipper-snappers in my gaming group make me feel old too

SimGuy wrote:

d10-1 Love the videos, especially the fact that you've got your kids into them as well; how long does it take you to turn out an episode (writing to post-worthy)?
d10-2 Who decides which games to play for the vids?
d10-3 Did your discovery of board games sour you on wargames forever?
d10-4 All your games are rated '8', please explain.
d10-5 What color of dice taste best?
d10-6 What is it that keeps you coming back to BGG every day?
d10-7 You are an Admin for a day: what feature would you change or add to the BGG site?
d10-8 You have the floor; anything you'd like to add?

d10-1 Depending on the game it varies a bit, but let's say it's a Mice & Mystics level game, and a regular play through episode, I'd say about 5 hours. Something like when we partner with Plaid Hat games to do one of our "kick it up a notch" instructional videos for their channel takes a lot longer. It's a rewarding experience when it's done and people find it helpful - really makes the effort meaningful. That can't really be overstated.
d10-2 Usually some combination of Luke and I, or Andrea and I, or just me, or, in the case of Jaipur, entirely Andrea.
d10-3 Oh no, not at all. I just got away from wargames, and so I kind of lost what modern wargames were all about. I have a real urge to try 1812: Invasion of Canada as a soft step into wargaming again.
d10-4 lol, this one has been asked a bit, would you mind browsing though the last couple pages for that answer? Bottom of page 8 has one of the answers I gave on that.
d10-5 Was hoping someone would ask me this. Blue.
d10-6 All the fun discoveries. A new game, a controversial thread, a cool user submitted photo, a useful player aid, ten new games I didn't know I couldn't live without.
d10-7 Probably I would try to do something to lessen the density at which information is presented on this site. More white space, etc. But something tells me that this site is like an elaborate fortress of cards, and once you start mucking with one thing, the whole place comes down. So I guess I'd leave it pretty much alone.
d10-8 Sure. For anyone out there, I enjoy playing games on the iphone and ipad when I get a chance, feel free to add RodneyJSmith to your friends list and invite me to a game of something. Just don't put the game on a 1 day timer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hassell
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:

Oreo lasagna! That thought made me laugh, but then I googled it. There are actually recipes for oreo lasagna. Wow.

The internet is a very bizarre jungle, indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt - Conduit23
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:
d10-4 lol, this one has been asked a bit, would you mind browsing though the last couple pages for that answer? Bottom of page 8 has one of the answers I gave on that.

Might wanna add a disclaimer on that subject to your profile.

Pelvidar wrote:
d10-8 Sure. For anyone out there, I enjoy playing games on the iphone and ipad when I get a chance, feel free to add RodneyJSmith to your friends list and invite me to a game of something. Just don't put the game on a 1 day timer.

I just got an iPad basically just to play board games, expect an invite from Conduit23 to play Summoner Wars!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott "Tox" Morris
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:

It went like this:

Je suis dans
C'est bon, c'est bon.
C'est bon, bonbon.

Les enfants commence
de mange le panatalon.
Arrete, arrete
Ferme la porte.

Ouais, rien effrayant à ce sujet! Heureusement vous concentrer sur des vidéos de jeux et non pas le chant / auteur-compositeur carrière! :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kolman
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Rodney definitely deserves this. I have gotten a lot of enjoyment, and gleaned a ton of knowledge concerning how to play a game, from watching his video series!

Well done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Coffin
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland and Labrador
flag msg tools
I like trains.
badge
Nikola Tesla, Rockstar Scientist
mbmbmbmbmb
I've purchased one game and added two others to my wishlist because of Rodney's videos. Game publishers, take notice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driptorch
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Rodney!
Keep up the great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, a little tease here. I decided I would dig up this silly little time waster card game I designed in 2002.

I will foist the full PDF upon you all once I've cleaned it up a little more.

The rules will remain presented in an intentionally overly complex way as an added bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Coddington
United States
Woodbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:
So, a little tease here. I decided I would dig up this silly little time waster card game I designed in 2002.

I will foist the full PDF upon you all once I've cleaned it up a little more.

The rules will remain presented in an intentionally overly complex way as an added bonus.

Madness! We'd have an easier time with the Advanced Squad Leader manual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Truitt Broome
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
Congrats, Rodney. I'm a big fan of WiP, and think you have really hit the mark on what I want from a board game video series. It is informative without being opinionated, and I like that a lot. And your family seems like a wonderful group of people.

My question is a slightly personal one:

Like many people on BGG, I have spend the better part of my life entrenched in the gaming hobby, and I often dream that one day games might be more than just something I do in my free time, but rather branch off into something more (a side business, a job, etc.)

As a guy in his mid 20s with a semi-stable job and a fairly decent income, but a lack of passion for what I'm currently doing (I like my job and I do it well, but I continue to struggle with changing career interests), what would you say about starting a passion project like WiP? I am passionate about games more than anything else in my life, and I want to take that passion somewhere, but I am reluctant to risk the stability of my current life for what might be a difficult road ahead.

Thanks!

Truitt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  7 , 8 , 9 , 10 , 11  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.