Subject: Contagion variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete McPherson
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey folks, new player to Pandemic here. As I was reading the rules, I anticipated that it would be possible for a player to contract one of the four diseases. Of course, it isn't. How stressful would it be if one of your own had fallen victim to the very diseases you were trying to cure? Here's what I came up with for a (untested) variant:

Use only four EPIDEMIC cards, shuffled into four piles. If at any point a player is caught in an outbreak (whether they're in the city that outbreaks or a neighboring city that has a cube placed on it as a result), that player has become infected. An infected player will spread the disease of the corresponding color wherever they move by placing one cube on their location. i.e. if they have the yellow disease, every space they occupy during or at the end of their move phase will receive one yellow cube. A player can cure themselves by playing three cards of the corresponding color at a research station. Alternately, if their disease is cured by any player, they are immediately free of illness. Gameplay is otherwise identical.

ALTERNATE INFECTION METHOD:
If a player is on a city whose card is flipped during the infection phase, they themselves are infected. (This may be too difficult as infections would be more likely)

Any ideas on how to better balance this variant are appreciated! I will be testing this this afternoon with some buddies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Ralf
Netherlands
Amersfoort
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, this sounds awesome and chaotic! Not sure if it would be too hard to win this way though. Maybe just discard two cards of the disease's color to cure yourself?

Or maybe it would work to make "cure" an action as well. If a player is on a place where another, diseased player is, he can take 1 action to cure the other of it's disease.

Love the idea though! Would be great if we could somehow find a balanced way of playing this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morcerf
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
I've been thinking too much. Help me.
badge
And what we want, we know we can't believe. We have all learned to kill our dreams.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds interesting.
I think if you had to discard 3 cards to cure yourself every time you fall ill then you would not win because you would run out of cards before you could find the cures. Losing 3 cards of one color to treat just the player pawn would reduce the available pool of cards for that color by too much. At that point, the player would be better off staying infected until they had the extra 2 cards to cure the disease.
I like the idea of players getting infected. If you want to force the infected players to spread the disease, then perhaps simply make it so that treating the player is an action performable only by either another player or self-treatment at a research center.

If players are at risk of contracting the disease; perhaps you should then allow them to inoculate themselves before they even get ill -- allow them for an action to discard one or two cards to place a cube of that disease on their role card to mark they have been inoculated and are immune to it?

How do you mark that a player is infected; Would you place their role card next to the pile of cubes for that color?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Ichamoe
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting idea. Please re-post when you've tested this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.