Subject: Dirty Cop and Loyalty cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, maybe I am just missing it, but I've searched the posted rulebook, and I cannot find any rules about handing out Loyalty cards during set-up so that players know whether or not they are the Dirty Cop.

In the section near the end about adjusting difficulity, it indicates that to make the game harder, you can add additional Dirty Cops, but it doesn't seem to define what the "normal" setup is (again -- maybe I am just missing it).

Is it just a matter of dealing out a total of X Loyalty Cards during setup, where X = the number of players, and making sure one of the Loyalty Cards is the Dirty Cop card? Or is it more involved than that?

(I ask because I vaguely remember the earlier version of the rules saying something about having one extra Good Cop card in the mix so you were never sure if there even *was* a Dirty Cop -- but maybe I'm mixing it up with another game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the "(I ask because I vaguely remember the earlier version of the rules saying something about having one extra Good Cop card in the mix so you were never sure if there even *was* a Dirty Cop -- but maybe I'm mixing it up with another game.)" kind of sounds like "shadows over camelot"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never played Shadows, but that doesn't mean I'm correct in my recollection of the earlier Police Precinct rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jda1974 wrote:
Never played Shadows, but that doesn't mean I'm correct in my recollection of the earlier Police Precinct rules
no, my guess is you're correct, or very close...i don't have rules yet either, but i would guess it's something like (if you want to use the "dirty cop" option): if 5 players play, use 1 dirty and 5 clean cards, and deal out randomly (if 6 play, 1 dirty and 6 clean...etc.) with 1 card always going back into the box unseen...that way there's always the poss there's 1 "active" dirty cop, but not necessarily...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal B
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The January 2012 rules says:
Randomly and secretly choosing the Corrupt Cop (skip this in games with only two players):

In a game for 3-4 players: Shuffle the three Corrupt Cop Loyalty Cards and pick one without
looking at it. Put the other two back in the game box without looking at them.
In a game for 5-6 players: Shuffle the three Corrupt Cop Loyalty Cards and pick two without
looking at them. Put the other back in the game box without looking at it.

Take as many Good Cop Loyalty Cards as the number of players, and shuffle them together with the picked
Corrupt Cop Loyalty Card(s).
Hand out one to each player, and put the remaining one back in the box without looking at it. Each player
now secretly looks at their given Loyalty Card for about 10 seconds (to give the possible Corrupt Cop(s) time
to read his/her/their special skill(s)) and place it face-down on the table in front of them. Do not show them
to each other.

That way, one (or more) player(s) might be Corrupt Cop(s), but players can’t be sure of how
many Corrupt cops are in the game, if any at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Michael. I had not saved the earlier version of the rules.

I think some parts of that may have changed, since now the rules indicate that there isn't a Dirty Cop in a three-player game.

It's also not clear if the different Dirty Cop cards have different abilities anymore (it appears that they did back in the old version of the rules -- hence the reason you shuffle the three of them and draw one randomly).

The current rules do not mention the Loyalty Cards in the Components/Setup section, so hopefully Ole and/or Common Man Games will weigh in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jda1974 wrote:
So, maybe I am just missing it, but I've searched the posted rulebook, and I cannot find any rules about handing out Loyalty cards during set-up so that players know whether or not they are the Dirty Cop.

In the section near the end about adjusting difficulity, it indicates that to make the game harder, you can add additional Dirty Cops, but it doesn't seem to define what the "normal" setup is (again -- maybe I am just missing it).

Is it just a matter of dealing out a total of X Loyalty Cards during setup, where X = the number of players, and making sure one of the Loyalty Cards is the Dirty Cop card? Or is it more involved than that?

(I ask because I vaguely remember the earlier version of the rules saying something about having one extra Good Cop card in the mix so you were never sure if there even *was* a Dirty Cop -- but maybe I'm mixing it up with another game.)

Hi John, John, and Michal!

I'm not looking right at the current rule-book right at this moment, and...

I never look at the prior versions anymore, so I'm not sure about that.

But...

I can shed some light on some of this...

Any time you want to set-up a game of Police Precinct follow these simple steps...

STEP 1: decide if you want to use the traitor element (Dirty Cop)

STEP 2: Use the easy set-up chart at the beginning of the rule book to set up the board to be played (all you need to know is how many players are in the game and if you are using the dirty cop element).

STEP 3: deal out one loyalty card per player. In order to do this, be sure to pre-stack the deck so that there is one dirty cop and rest are good cops, also be sure you have the exact same number of cards as you have players. WAIT, before you flip those cards... have everyone read the backside of the loyalty card so they understand how to handle things in-case they are the dirty cop. (you don't want to be caught reading for a long time and thinking and asking questions AFTER you realize you are the dirty cop, this will look VERY suspicious).

STEP 4: Begin the game!

VARIATION #1: Ratio -- The Dirty Cop option is meant only for 4, 5, or 6 player games (larger groups), but you can have one in a 3-person game, it just makes it very challenging for the good cops. The same goes for a 6 person game could have 2 dirty cops (likewise very challenging for the good cops).

VARIATION #2: Mystery -- You can do the "Is there a dirty cop or not" mystery version where-by an extra card is dealt (thus one dirty cop card is available in the deck at the start and then after dealing out cards (one per player) the one remaining card which shall remain face down and a mystery, might be the Dirty Cop, so there may NOT be a dirty cop at all. You can take this one step further and include two extra cards with less of a chance of there being a dirty cop (or more if both extra cards are dirty).
We accommodated in this edition the following numbers of loyalty cards...
6 good cop
2 dirty cop
with this, you can do a lot in terms of playing with the number of cards etc, BUT...
Just to reiterate, the default is to stack the deck with just one dirty and rest good cops and to have NO extra cards after dealing out.

OK have fun!

That is if not knowing who to trust and feeling paranoid is your idea of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One other question: in the earlier version in the rules, I remember something about having to go to the Courthouse (or maybe the Police Station) to take the Accuse a Dirty Cop action. I didn't notice that location requirement in the updated rules. Was that dropped?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jda1974 wrote:
One other question: in the earlier version in the rules, I remember something about having to go to the Courthouse (or maybe the Police Station) to take the Accuse a Dirty Cop action. I didn't notice that location requirement in the updated rules. Was that dropped?

Hi John!

Here are a few thoughts...

1. You might be remembering a requirement of being at the police station. There is no courthouse at this point (maybe we will add one with some expansion at some point).

2. To upgrade your character you must be at the police station.

3 To change car type you must be at the police station.

4. No location requirement for accusing someone of being dirty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jda1974 wrote:
Great, thanks!

No problem.

Happy to do it!

I'm very happy that you will have your game soon!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.