Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Agnew
Canada
Prince Albert
Saskatchewan (SK)
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Decided to give ASL a whirl in the early 90's, having been a long time player of SL and its subsequent gamettes. Unfortunately at the time, I had caught the World in Flames bug, and so most of my gaming time and interest was devoted to it. A '36-'46 campaign game of WIF takes a LONG time to play to conclusion, particularly if you're playing it solo, lol. shake

Anyway, I did delve somewhat into ASL, purchasing the rulebook (of course), Paratrooper, and Beyond Valor. Played it long enough to become, FAIRLY comfortable with the game mechanics, but abandoned it for WIF. Ended up selling my games many moons ago.

Perhaps feeling a bit nostalgic, I purchased a copy of the rulebook (AH-1st edition), on E-bay this summer. I now have my ASL bug again and would like to get back into the game system.

Starting with the rulebook:

- Were there any significant changes between the editions?

- As for the modules, are there any differences between the AH and MMP versions?

- Any compatibility issues?

Thanks,

Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadir Elfarra
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome back, Richard!

Biggest differences between 1st & 2nd edition rule books are that 2nd edition includes some clarifications and errata (though there is also errata to the 2nd edition).

As far as modules go, the MMP versions have larger font sizes making the counters easier to read. Some counters were also corrected. There is probably a master list somewhere of changes, but I don't recall any of them being giant.

You'll want to go to the support pages on MMP's site for a list of the errata.

Beyond that, the production rate is such that you may wish to pick up things that are currently available as they tend to rise (sometimes dramatically) in price once they go out of print.

Also, find some local face-to-face players (see the ASL players google map). That's almost always the fastest way to get up to speed.

-Nadir
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmb
I had a lot of "fun" rebuying stuff. Just don't get hung up on getting everything back you used to own or you'll drive yourself insane. There are a TON of great folks who can help you out if you ask and demonstrate you're not trying to buy it just to resell on ebay which is what you're BOUND to get questions about from random BGG'ers who want to buy your ASL stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dachda
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also 2nd edition rulebook includes Chapter E, which for the 1st edition could only be obtained by buying the American module 'Yanks'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Agnew
Canada
Prince Albert
Saskatchewan (SK)
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks to all who have taken the time to reply.

It's good to hear MMP's font size is bigger, as my eyesight isn't exactly improving with age, lol.

I hear you guys on the cost of acquiring the modules and add-ons. Some of the E-bay stores are asking insane prices. My primary area of interest is the ETO, primarily the Eastern Front, so there are a number of modules and action packs that I know I won't be buying.

FWIW, I found a very informative Wikipedia entry for the ASL system. It looks like my first purchase will have to be BV (3rd ed). That way, I will have my 1-5 mapboards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadir Elfarra
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, Richard, since you're in Canada, be sure to check out Battle School - Chris Doary's blog and kit-shop - he's up your way and carries a bunch of stuff - you can save the cost and headache of ordering internationally from MMP.

http://asl-battleschool.blogspot.com/

-N
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford Town
flag msg tools
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
A second recommendation for Battleschool - they are a great outfit.

As ETO is the OP's principal interest, I think you can't go wrong with Beyond Valor 3rd Edition. It has the components you need for years of Ost Front fun, plus 20 scenarios, many of which are excellent. After Beyond Valor you might also consider the historical modules; Valor of the Guards or Festung Budapest.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Knoll
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
MMP Disliker
badge
Soldier for Up Front, but is my back to the Volga or the Spree river?
mbmbmbmbmb
Where in Canada are you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Agnew
Canada
Prince Albert
Saskatchewan (SK)
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm in Regina SK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Novak
United States
Charleston
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard,

A good place to start investigating the rule book and module versions may be here:

http://www.desperationmorale.com/worldofasl/worldofficial1.h...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Agnew
Canada
Prince Albert
Saskatchewan (SK)
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
big_m0dem wrote:
Richard,

A good place to start investigating the rule book and module versions may be here:

http://www.desperationmorale.com/worldofasl/worldofficial1.h...

Thanks Michael. That's an excellent site. It definately saved me some grief; I found a cheap, shrink-wrapped copy of The Last Hurrah. Nearly purchased it until I realized that Doomed Battalions had the complete OOB for the Allied minors. I imagine a lot of people who purchased TLH were disappointed to find no guns or vehicles. I'll just be patient until I purchase DB (eventually!).

I'm still reading through the ASL rulebook, and I've noticed that many rules sections have large bullets in the left column at the beginning of particular sections. i.e. Assault Fire, Dashes, Spraying Fire. Does this bullet denote a new rule or concept? (compared to the original SL system). I think that some of these rules were introduced in the original SL modules, but only as optional rules. Again, I have the 1st ed. rulebook.

Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadir Elfarra
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard - If I understand you correctly, the large bullets you're seeing reflect the fact that there's been a change in the associated rule.

-N
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Agnew
Canada
Prince Albert
Saskatchewan (SK)
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I see; that makes sense. Thanks Nadir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BattleSchool Managing Editor
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm still reading through the ASL rulebook, and I've noticed that many rules sections have large bullets in the left column at the beginning of particular sections. i.e. Assault Fire, Dashes, Spraying Fire. Does this bullet denote a new rule or concept? (compared to the original SL system). I think that some of these rules were introduced in the original SL modules, but only as optional rules. Again, I have the 1st ed. rulebook.

Richard

Now you have me looking.

Just checked my (2nd edition) rule pages (dated 2000) for Assault Fire, Dash, and Spraying Fire. I don't see any of these large bullets.

However, Nadir is spot on about their significance. Whenever MMP puts out amended rule pages (EX: wall advantage in Action Pack 4, or Platoon Movement in Armies of Oblivion), they do a couple of things. First they append a date to the bottom of the page (EX: 2006 for WA). And second, they place a very large black bullet beside each rule section that has undergone a change. In the case of WA (or Chapter H), MMP occasionally adds extra pages with a letter following the page number (EX: 10A, 10B). This avoids an entire repagination of the rule book.

May I ask what date is at the bottom of pagesA9, and A14?

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Agnew
Canada
Prince Albert
Saskatchewan (SK)
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Chris Doary wrote:
Quote:

Richard

Now you have me looking.

Just checked my (2nd edition) rule pages (dated 2000) for Assault Fire, Dash, and Spraying Fire. I don't see any of these large bullets.

However, Nadir is spot on about their significance. Whenever MMP puts out amended rule pages (EX: wall advantage in Action Pack 4, or Platoon Movement in Armies of Oblivion), they do a couple of things. First they append a date to the bottom of the page (EX: 2006 for WA). And second, they place a very large black bullet beside each rule section that has undergone a change. In the case of WA (or Chapter H), MMP occasionally adds extra pages with a letter following the page number (EX: 10A, 10B). This avoids an entire repagination of the rule book.

May I ask what date is at the bottom of pagesA9, and A14?

Chris

Hmm...now this is getting interesting. All of the pages that have amendments have a small 87 or 89 next to the page number. Assuming that 1989 was the last print year of the 1st edition rulebook? Page A9 has no date, A14 is dated 87. A14 has no less than 4 amended paragraphs for Pin Results on 7.82 VEHICLE/CREW, 7.831 LEADERS, 7.9 COWERING, and 8.1 FIRST FIRE.

Many of these amended rules don't look very familiar to me. I'm thinking that I had one of the early 1st edition rulebooks when I began learning the system previously, which had not yet been amended.

I was hoping I could skim over some of the familiar rules sections, but with all these amendments, I think I'll have to do some more work, lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Whip Cracker
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
dachda wrote:
Also 2nd edition rulebook includes Chapter E, which for the 1st edition could only be obtained by buying the American module 'Yanks'.

and all the Ch K days 1 - 8

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
East Windsor
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in a similar situation as the OP; had elements of ASL, played it for some time, and then sold the whole collection off.

Now, I've been back at it with the ASLSKs, and I am seriously thinking of jumping back in.

So, anyone have compelling reasons why they agree or disagree with this? I'd really be interested to know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zac Belado
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am doing that very thing at the moment. Working through the ASLSK kits as a way to get back into ASL.

Got excited about playing the game again after playing some Combat Commander and Panzer.

The Starter Kits are great as a way to get the basics of the rule system under your belt and they also, for me at least, get your appetite whetted for the full game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Vicca
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
essayons7 wrote:
I'm in a similar situation as the OP; had elements of ASL, played it for some time, and then sold the whole collection off.

Now, I've been back at it with the ASLSKs, and I am seriously thinking of jumping back in.

So, anyone have compelling reasons why they agree or disagree with this? I'd really be interested to know.

Jump right in. ASL has an amazing number of on line players if you can't get a local game easily and you will find it very easy to fill up your dance card with them. I cannot recommend this community highly enough. If you are having real problems obtaining things, time and again I have seen someone step in to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
East Windsor
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be ordering the rules and BV this week!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.