Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Police Precinct» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
1) If the riot comes out, you put Punks in the street. Are these a separate "space" from the regular Bad Hood? In our case, we had 4 punks in the Bad Hood, then 3 in the street, but if it was all one space we couldn't possibly destroy any of them except maybe with cards.

2) Actually, that brings up a good question: what happens if the number of Punks in a Bad Hood grows beyond 6?

3) I'm sure this is the case, but even though the Murderer counts as 2 for "die roll purposes" I think this only means for determining the successful die roll required, but still only takes one success to arrest him, assuming he is the last on the street to be arrested?

4) I would have liked a summary of when you can receive donuts. The ones I know are: arresting 3 or more Punks, finding the last piece of evidence in a category, and rewards from handling emergencies. Is that it?

5) There are two different styles of cards where something moves across the board automatically. One example was a car we were supposed to escort which I think moved on each player's turn. Another one was either the riot or escaped convicts that I believe were to move "each turn". Do they move on each player's turn, or when the turn marker is moved, and if so might they move right after they are drawn if the last player drew the card?

6) There seems to be more tokens than we need in some cases (FBI, Punks, etc) -- am I missing anything there? On the other hand, I'm 99% sure I didn't get a first player token.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
1) If the riot comes out, you put Punks in the street. Are these a separate "space" from the regular Bad Hood? In our case, we had 4 punks in the Bad Hood, then 3 in the street, but if it was all one space we couldn't possibly destroy any of them except maybe with cards.



You are correct. They are in the street not the bad hood.

BTW - sometimes destroying ALL in a space is hard to do (anything over 3 gets tricky), but if you can get 3 of them all at once, you get a donut, which is nice, and if you can reduce 4 or 5 down to 2 or 3, they become much easier to fully destroy the next time, and or they can be ignored for the time being.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:

2) Actually, that brings up a good question: what happens if the number of Punks in a Bad Hood grows beyond 6?


A die role of 6 is always considered to be a success no matter how many are in the space. So if 8 are in the space and you roll...

1,5,2,6,4,6,3,6

then there would only be 5 after that roll.

PS - if you have 8 in one space, you are doomed!



Keeping the criminal element in check before they form gangs is important in order to have a good chance of winning.



wait... one more thing...

A die roll of 1 is always considered to be a failure even if only one criminal is in the space.

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:


3) I'm sure this is the case, but even though the Murderer counts as 2 for "die roll purposes" I think this only means for determining the successful die roll required, but still only takes one success to arrest him, assuming he is the last on the street to be arrested?


you are 100% correct!

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:


4) I would have liked a summary of when you can receive donuts. The ones I know are: arresting 3 or more Punks, finding the last piece of evidence in a category, and rewards from handling emergencies. Is that it?


yes, you are correct!

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:


5) There are two different styles of cards where something moves across the board automatically. One example was a car we were supposed to escort which I think moved on each player's turn. Another one was either the riot or escaped convicts that I believe were to move "each turn". Do they move on each player's turn, or when the turn marker is moved, and if so might they move right after they are drawn if the last player drew the card?


there are several event cards that require you to monitor a situation over time. The ones you are talking about generally require action on your part at each of the event card phases after the card was first flipped over.
Cards like the gas leak, the stolen car, the escaped convicts, etc.

BTW -- The van you mentioned does not move, except if you help it move and this only happens on the movement phase (you are escorting it during your movement)

One last thing...

The tokens with the Red circle with the slash through them are not required to play the game, but we added them to make it easier to remember things like moving the stolen car in the event phase, so you would place the token on top of the event card deck, which would trigger you to say "hey we need to do something now... oh yea, we need to move the stolen car!" (or something to that effect).

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:

6) There seems to be more tokens than we need in some cases (FBI, Punks, etc) -- am I missing anything there? On the other hand, I'm 99% sure I didn't get a first player token.


Some gaming groups like to customize the games they play a bit, with this in mind, we decided to added in some extra components.

These can be used to alter the experience, making the character in question more powerful, etc. This could be helpful for a variety of reasons, esp if you want to ramp-up the difficulty in one of the many ways we suggest.

There are, as Tom Vasel pointed out, MANY ways to alter the experience. Tweaking this and tweaking that. With this in mind, the game can be as difficult as you want it to be, or as easy as you want it to be.

The default 100% pure Co-op version of the game, straight out of the box with no tweaks whatsoever is VERY carefully designed to be balanced in a way that is both difficult, but also very achievable. 99% of the time that I have played (and I have logged in MANY sessions) the good cops win or loose by a very tiny margin (it's a nail biter down to the wire). Furthermore, I would say that the good cops win about 60% of the time. New players might find that they win less often, but it doesn't take long to get the hang of this game, and once you do,...

Have fun tweaking the difficulty all you want to match your groups abilities and desires.

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Common Man Games wrote:
The default 100% pure Co-op version of the game, straight out of the box with no tweaks whatsoever is VERY carefully designed to be balanced in a way that is both difficult, but also very achievable. 99% of the time that I have played (and I have logged in MANY sessions) the good cops win or loose by a very tiny margin (it's a nail biter down to the wire). Furthermore, I would say that the good cops win about 60% of the time. New players might find that they win less often, but it doesn't take long to get the hang of this game, and once you do,...



So, that raises a question... From what you say, it sounds like most 100% co-op games are won about 50-60% of the time, based on level of experience (and without adding in any tweaks like Madmen cards, etc.).

My question is: Have you figured out the right mix so that games with Dirty Cops are won about 50% of the time? (Assume that all players have a few games under their belt, so there aren't a lot of "newbie" learning mistakes.) Is a game with 3 Good Cops and 1 Dirty Cop about a 50/50 balance? If we play a five-player game (4 Good Cops, 1 Dirty Cop) or a six-player game (5 Good Cops, 1 Dirty Cop), should I throw in an extra Madman card or two to compensate for the extra Good Cops?

I know we'll experiment with the game to adjust difficulty, but I just wanted to get your opinion on what works for you.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
In our 4-player game, I think if we had a traitor we would have definitely lost, although admittedly we were new players... but one sample is not much to draw a conclusion from
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
jda1974 wrote:
Common Man Games wrote:
The default 100% pure Co-op version of the game, straight out of the box with no tweaks whatsoever is VERY carefully designed to be balanced in a way that is both difficult, but also very achievable. 99% of the time that I have played (and I have logged in MANY sessions) the good cops win or loose by a very tiny margin (it's a nail biter down to the wire). Furthermore, I would say that the good cops win about 60% of the time. New players might find that they win less often, but it doesn't take long to get the hang of this game, and once you do,...



So, that raises a question... From what you say, it sounds like most 100% co-op games are won about 50-60% of the time, based on level of experience (and without adding in any tweaks like Madmen cards, etc.).

My question is: Have you figured out the right mix so that games with Dirty Cops are won about 50% of the time? (Assume that all players have a few games under their belt, so there aren't a lot of "newbie" learning mistakes.) Is a game with 3 Good Cops and 1 Dirty Cop about a 50/50 balance? If we play a five-player game (4 Good Cops, 1 Dirty Cop) or a six-player game (5 Good Cops, 1 Dirty Cop), should I throw in an extra Madman card or two to compensate for the extra Good Cops?

I know we'll experiment with the game to adjust difficulty, but I just wanted to get your opinion on what works for you.


VERY good question John!

You literally just hit the nail on the head so far as what we were trying to do.

The goal is that every game scenario is about at that same level of difficulty, whether you have a traitor or not, and no matter how many players are involved.

The game gets much harder or much easier depending on those factors. This is why the easy set-up chart was invented, to solve this issue.

It varies the number of certain things in the opening set-up. So our goal was to create the perfect balance in every game. I think we did a very good job on that.

Can't wait to hear your experiences.

PS - most Domestic orders shipped today, so you should have your's soon!!!


3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Blountville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Common Man Games wrote:

PS - most Domestic orders shipped today, so you should have your's soon!!!


That is what I was waiting to hear!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MyUPS ship notification received - delivery tomorrow!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Common Man Games wrote:

The goal is that every game scenario is about at that same level of difficulty, whether you have a traitor or not, and no matter how many players are involved.

The game gets much harder or much easier depending on those factors. This is why the easy set-up chart was invented, to solve this issue.

It varies the number of certain things in the opening set-up. So our goal was to create the perfect balance in every game. I think we did a very good job on that.

Can't wait to hear your experiences.

PS - most Domestic orders shipped today, so you should have your's soon!!!




Excellent, thanks!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrod Babel
United States
Lewis Center
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domestic kickstarter and preorders or just KS?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
mbmbmbmbmb
jbabel wrote:
domestic kickstarter and preorders or just KS?


I believe I was one of the first two KS backers to receive my copy (at the Atlanta Game Fest) and that was on Jan 4, 2013.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Common Man Games
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
jbabel wrote:
domestic kickstarter and preorders or just KS?


I believe I was one of the first two KS backers to receive my copy (at the Atlanta Game Fest) and that was on Jan 4, 2013.


I can confirm that!!!

In fact I did here...

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/11005850#11005850

It went like this...

Tom Vasel #0 (since he is not a Kickstarter backer)

Will-call Man #1 (your Santa Claus)

Con Delivery #2 (you)

Then the flood gates opened.

By the way, I still don't have a copy, that's how smokin' hot off the press these babies are!

A skid is coming our way on Monday.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.