Minnesota
flag msg tools
Games on fire
badge
Burning to play!
mbmbmbmbmb
manchuwok wrote:
Hey everyone,

Thanks for participating in and/or thumbing my contest: Manchuwok's Journey: (Win a Free Game from your Wishlist)!.

I've been totally blown away by the magnitude and quality of the responses. So I've decided to give away another game from somebody's wishlist. As you may know, my game Quarantine has been nominated for the Most Anticipated Game of 2013. If you go and vote for it, in up to the 5 categories it's been nominated in, you'll get up to 5 entries for this second giveawy.

VOTE HERE

After you vote, send me a geekmail saying how many categories you voted for it in (all votes are made in the poll in the geeklist header). If you've already voted, just send me a geekmail, and you'll get your entries!

Many thanks, and happy gaming.

Mark

The above was in my mail box.

It's not very fair to try to get people to vote for a game just to think they have a chance to win a game. These awards are meant to reflect peoples opinions. Not to enter a chance to win a game. This gives the game a bunch of votes that are shake And it's not fair to the other nominees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What, shameless self-promotion infecting various BGG modules? Say it ain't so! surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linda Baldwin
United States
White Plains
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I gotta say, that crosses a line for me to, but I suspect alerting a moderator and/or flagging might have been a more appropriate response.

I've gotten GMs asking me to vote for or otherwise support a project that I've previously shown an interest in before, but none that explicitly offered a reward for doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man on Fire
United States
Worthington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Games on fire
badge
Burning to play!
mbmbmbmbmb
Carmilla wrote:
I gotta say, that crosses a line for me to, but I suspect alerting a moderator and/or flagging might have been a more appropriate response.

I've gotten GMs asking me to vote for or otherwise support a project that I've previously shown an interest in before, but none that explicitly offered a reward for doing so.

I think it's best because it informs and educates others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Steubenville
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm tempted to get my votes in and geekmail quickly, then report the behavior thus reducing the number of people who he draws from to draw the wishlist game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Berry
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it a little odd myself. Didn't change the way I voted but the thought crossed my mind as a new shiny game is always welcome. In my mind he wasn't deliberately trying to be shady or underhanded but I agree with you Danny that these types of things should reflect peoples opinions and not be influenced by a chance to win a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M Monin
United States
Branford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmb
Moved to BGG General
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man on Fire
United States
Worthington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Games on fire
badge
Burning to play!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure there were people who would never have voted in the nominations in the first place going to vote just in hopes of winning a game. What if your game lost a nomination because of this. How would you feel. It's unfair.
We are supposed to be good chaps. Anybody would realize that by sending this to peoples mail box would be unethical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man on Fire
United States
Worthington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Games on fire
badge
Burning to play!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quarantine did get 4 of my votes but I don't want to win a game. I think I'll buy Quarantine at some point because it's a game that looks good and is on my to buy list. So many games out there to buy.meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man on Fire
United States
Worthington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Games on fire
badge
Burning to play!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is in the header of the contest.

Voting runs until Sunday, January 13th

Vote for any and all you are excited about. You can vote for multiple games in one category, and/or the same game in different categories.

Whether you're a fan, designer, publisher, designer's mom, or publisher's grandma campaigning during the vote is encouraged.

Heck, there isn't even a rule preventing campaigning within 1000 feet of the polls. Feel free to campaign here or anywhere else.

So maybe I can see why he sent them. Maybe I was a little hard on the enthusiastic game maker. Just keep making good games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Middlesboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I got the same email.

I don't know, man. I don't see a problem with it; I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

I, however, did not go vote for the game. I would never vote for a game (or anything else for that matter) just because someone asked me to, or because I could win something for it. I wish the designer well though, and hope his game does very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man on Fire
United States
Worthington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Games on fire
badge
Burning to play!
mbmbmbmbmb
The game looks really good honestly and did receive 4 votes from me. Giving the header of the contest I think we can say it was ok. The message actually got me over there to vote and I got a chance to participate. I had no influence good or bad and voted for a lot of games. I also found out about some rally cool games including the mentioned game. It has a great theme that I like.meeple
I now seem to promote the game.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Any vote ever made on any subject has always been a popularity contest. This is especially true for something like "the most anticipated game for 2013". Trying to make yourself the most popular goes hand in hand with that. Publicity, marketing, political campaigns... it's all the same.

This is no different than a politician making a promise to lower taxes if he's elected.
This guy is trying to make his game get elected, it's so far nominated because it's popular AND he's doing some promises to promote it.

There's no point arguing that the voting process should not be biased towards the games which can manage to be more anticipated by such outside factors, because the entire ranking system on BGG is biased (more votes = higher ranking), especially for such a thing as "most anticipated game". The games by the big companies (FFG, ZMan games, etc.) are sure to be more anticipated because they have done more marketing than the little companies. Likewise, the kickstarters will be more anticipated because all the backers will vote for it automatically. Those are "outside factors" that are just as valid than a contest if you vote for it.

So I don't see the problem (and mind you, i have no idea what the game is and i'm really not affiliated with it in any way).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick _ aka
United States
East Coast
flag msg tools
Oh, no,,, it's Déjà vu all over again!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought this was going to be about site problems, erm, issues. modest

e.g., R.I.P. Recently Viewed (XP IE 8)... cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone, I apologize if you received my geekmail in error. It was meant to go only to people who had already left a positive comment about anticipating Quarantine on the geeklist contest I was running here (hundreds of you had done so). The anticipated geeklist encouraged campaigning, and since I was only planning to send to those who had stated they were anticipating Quarantine, I thought that was exactly in the spirit of the geeklist vote.

In my haste I accidentally sent to the wrong list (everyone who had thumbed the contest itself). I was in a bit of a hurry since my wife was going into labour. She of course understood that the babies would have to wait, since serious geekmailing was about to happen.

Thanks again to everyone for the thousands of amazing comments your provided on my geeklist!

( Our twin girls arrived safely on Jan 8. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Berry
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on the newborn twins! Very exciting! Having two kids of my own I just can;t imagine how much work twins would be. THo I am sure that will be offset by a lot of Joy they will bring!

Honest mistake and I am glad to here your reasons behind it as that makes sense to me. Look forward even more to the game and hopefully I can get a copy on release! I will be buying!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man on Fire
United States
Worthington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Games on fire
badge
Burning to play!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well this thread turned upside down. Know what's not fair is having to wait to play the final version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man on Fire
United States
Worthington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Games on fire
badge
Burning to play!
mbmbmbmbmb
DRGNLRD wrote:
Congrats on the newborn twins! Very exciting! Having two kids of my own I just can;t imagine how much work twins would be. THo I am sure that will be offset by a lot of Joy they will bring!

Honest mistake and I am glad to here your reasons behind it as that makes sense to me. Look forward even more to the game and hopefully I can get a copy on release! I will be buying!

+1thumbsup Twins! Congrats!!!!!! pictureswhistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlett_O wrote:

I, however, did not go vote for the game. I would never vote for a game (or anything else for that matter) just because someone asked me to, or because I could win something for it. I wish the designer well though, and hope his game does very well.

This.
I never vote on something by request.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Berry
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dan_hnnng wrote:
Well this thread turned upside down. Know what's not fair is having to wait to play the final version.

Well in a good way! I understood your initial feelings as when I first received the email I thought something was strange. Sort of like buying my vote, but I am glad to hear from him as I had a feeling he didn't mean anything negative about it! Good to see a thread end up this way!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man on Fire
United States
Worthington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Games on fire
badge
Burning to play!
mbmbmbmbmb

Looks like FUN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lloyd
United Kingdom
Penmaenmawr
Conwy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have I got this right? Your wife is in quarantine and you want us to buy a game about giving birth to twins? Hmmm, not too sure that game is for me. sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dan_hnnng wrote:
I now seem to promote the game.whistle

Plan suceeded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Asur wrote:
Scarlett_O wrote:

This.
I never vote on something by request.

Wait, don't all politicians ask for votes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Septyn
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
Dereferenced variable scope line 68109: check null set failed (0xff83de47)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manchuwok wrote:
( Our twin girls arrived safely on Jan 8. )

Pics or it didn't happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.