Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm reading over the rules and preparing for my first play of FF, and am unclear on the wording around removal of Command markers.

Specifically around pg 7; the terms "removed from the game and placed back into the countermix" and "removed from the map" are used in different cases. Do these mean the same thing?

It seems to me that removed from the game means just that; permanent removal from play, while removed from map returns them to the Pending area just as if they would at the end of a turn of Tactical side.

If there is a difference, in which cases are they removed from the game as opposed to returned to Pending?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwik
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
mbmbmb
If I understand your question, yes, there are two different ways in which Command markers can be removed from the map.

Normally, they are removed at the end of their 'cycle' (rule 4.4) -- in which case they are placed in the Pending Command box and will be eligible to be placed back onto the map at a later time.

It is possible, however, for Command markers to be removed from the map due to enemy actions: via capture (rule 4.34, second paragraph) or sniper (rule 21.12c) -- in which case they are permanently removed from the game and will no longer take part in the current scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
MillertimeRC wrote:
It seems to me that removed from the game means just that; permanent removal from play, while removed from map returns them to the Pending area just as if they would at the end of a turn of Tactical side.

If there is a difference, in which cases are they removed from the game as opposed to returned to Pending?

Yes there is a difference.
Page 7 itself gives you situations where they're removed from play (not just from the map): Capture by enemy unit, and sniper activity. See also 21.12c & 21.12d.

Edit: Ninjaed by Chad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you both! It turns out my main source of confusion was due to my misreading the book.

Quote:
Voluntary—An active Command marker can never be voluntarily
removed from the map.

For some reason I read this as "can be voluntarily removed.." and this created the uncertainty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.