Alastair Cornish
United Kingdom
Croydon
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So having followed Out4Blood and others' posts I think I might try the following (all other peoples fixes), but would like opinions on if it's going overboard:

1) Start with the RaW (1st ed)

2) Remove the French bateaux (as per Out4Blood's suggestion that this is the only good 2nd edition change)

3) Limited shuffling (only after drawing, leaving you down cards often if your deck's too thin)

4) British player can only governor starting locations if he's lost them to a siege or raid (French player has no governor limitations)

So is that going overboard or what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a combo I intend to try soon, but with limited governor for both sides. That looks quite reasonable to me.

If it makes it too easy for the French, you can keep Bateaux in their starting deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ove Ahlman
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I understand this correctly, it is made to fix the so called Hallifax Hammer Issue. But this strategy as far as I know, do not involve the governor to a greate degree, so why limit it?

The shuffling limit seems very booring and counterproductive. In this way players will need to count the number of cards left when it starts to run out. Also the so fun part of deckbuilding games is to cycle through the deck for the good cards. But this rule discourage the players from cycling through their decks and to get a smooth deck, which is directly opposite to what you actually want.

I'd say the best way to avoid the HH strategy is to play with 2 ed rules, and then simply dont do a HH as brit. The HH strategy is very specific (atleast when you use 2ed rules), and need to be started at the first turn, taking Halifax. If you want it even harder for the brittish player, let the french start with halifax (possibly broken to the other side).
Atleast you have to realize that chaning the very core rules like when to shuffle deck and chaning governor (making him worthless) will completely make the game skewed and a loat of other problems will arise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Linkor wrote:
If I understand this correctly, it is made to fix the so called Hallifax Hammer Issue. But this strategy as far as I know, do not involve the governor to a greate degree, so why limit it?

One of the methods of executing HH under 1st ed rules and the only method under 2nd edition rules involves governor greatly.

Linkor wrote:
I'd say the best way to avoid the HH strategy is to play with 2 ed rules, and then simply dont do a HH as brit.

Now that was random. How about playing with 1st edition rules and simply not doing HH? Does it not work?

Linkor wrote:
The HH strategy is very specific (atleast when you use 2ed rules), and need to be started at the first turn, taking Halifax.

This is not true. You are probably talking about a very early version of HH strategy, which evolved with time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hellier
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
Would a simple rule that required you to keep a minimum deck size (both hand and discard) equal to the starting deck size help fix HH? You could also add a card (maybe Bateaux or Militia) to the British hand to increase minimum deck size to eight. To be clear, the reserve would not count towards minimum deck size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.