Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carol Carpenter
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just surprised that such a lovely game has typos on the back of the box. Perhaps Asmodee or the appropriate person will see this.
The first one is the use of the word phase rather than phrase in "On your turn as the storyteller, give a clue (word,phase,song)..."
Second, it says "...all players guess which card is the storytellers."
Storytellers needs an apostrophe so that it reads storyteller's.

Also, for clarity, the sentence "Once all votes are in the scoring begins" should have a comma and read "Once all votes are in, the scoring begins."

Also, while technically not a typo, the heading the top that says "How to Play?" seems odd with a question mark (I guess it was translated from French).
I would think it should be "How to Play" with a colon or "How do you play?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This feels to me like a wider issue within board-game publishing. Many of my games feature spelling and grammar errors on the game-box, cards, and in the rulebooks. Much of this can be put down to translation errors, since most of the games I play are European. However, that really isn't much of an excuse: games are expensive; the artwork and components are often beautifully produced; why not take the same care over the words and grammar?

You rarely find a translated novel full of grammatical and spelling errors. Admittedly, their publishers are generally larger organisations than board-game publishers, but computer software (spell-checks etc.) should really eliminate this sort of thing.

I am more forgiving of quaint turns of phrase, where a European analogy or idiom is translated rather clunkily into English. These tend to give a gentle reminder of the overseas origin of the game, and sometimes raise a few laughs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Andrikonis
Lithuania
Vilnius
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam78 wrote:

but computer software (spell-checks etc.) should really eliminate this sort of thing.

Well, neither of the errors mentioned by the OP can be corrected by simple spell-check.

And if this is considered bad, then you haven't seen some translations into Lithuanian... In some cases it is easier to comprehend English rules than Lithuanian ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Nicosia
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
SMASH!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The typos on the box are nothing compared to the rules mistake. Notice how in both the instructions and printed on the board itself it tells you only those who guess the storytellers card can get the +1 bonus points. An Asmodee oops! blush

We were playing it wrong until the smart people of BGG set us straight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.