Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Hisle
United States
West Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read and reread the manuals, scenarios, forums, etc... re: Driller tiles.

I simply just don't see a strategic, or, for that matter, any other point to them(yet). There is no IPS line on them. They just almost seem to be filler squares.

Can someone help correct my probable false assumptions and misunderstandings? Although I have spent some time trying to find a "point" to the driller tiles, I seem to have missed something.

Thanks!

Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lopez
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. I haven't poured over it, but I can't fathom their value. So the opponent doesn't know what it'll be exactly? They're all pretty similar and seem pointless. Some might block line of sight, I can't remember, and you finalize a character's placement after flipping it, but is that really very valuable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Hechtl
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In SAGS, Driller tiles are probably the strongest pieces. Reason is simple: As NORAD you get easy access to the inside of a building so Salemites have no clue if they have to prepare for MK II inside for example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lear
United Kingdom
Lewes
Sussex
flag msg tools
With skill his story will unfold
mbmbmb
Plus, they mess up the layout of the building, making it harder for the Salemites to build a helpful room layout
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Hisle
United States
West Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. I think I have a better understanding now, although still unclear somewhat.
Does the fact that SAGS always takes place on Salemite ground mean that only the Salemite player places indoor pieces?
Also, does the Driller function as a door to outside somehow?
I'm trying to think of a reason you would want to isolate 2-3 people indoors for NORAD if everyone else will be outside.
The assumptions I am making are that Salrmite begins SAGS indoors and NORAD begins outdoors. I am aware that I probably have it wrong:-)

I now understand the element of surprise factor with Drillers but it still would only make sense to me if those were the only indoor pieces the NORAD player could place. If the NORAD player can place indoor tiles all along, and NORAD players can start SAGS indoors, then drillers seem less effective to me.

Feel free to correct any wrong assumtions.
Bob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Hechtl
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Familyman77 wrote:
Does the fact that SAGS always takes place on Salemite ground mean that only the Salemite player places indoor pieces?

Nope. Each player can place indoor/outdoor tiles.

Familyman77 wrote:

Also, does the Driller function as a door to outside somehow?

Depends on how you rotate it when you reveal it.

Familyman77 wrote:
I'm trying to think of a reason you would want to isolate 2-3 people indoors for NORAD if everyone else will be outside.

It's just an option. Depending on the Salemite setup (clumped up as large group / more evenly distributed) starting inside might be beneficial.

Familyman77 wrote:
If the NORAD player can place indoor tiles all along, and NORAD players can start SAGS indoors, then drillers seem less effective to me.

NORAD starts outside or in Driller tiles (s. rulebook p. 37 - step 4)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirill Krymskiy
Russia
Saint-Petersburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NORAD can start SAGS only outside or on driller tile, so drillers are very important for NORAD to make easy and surprising access inside the building and mess up the beneficial (maybe for salemites) rooms location ..
also, when constructing the map for SAGS, both players can place any tiles (indoor, outdoor) they like..
I think something like this..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Hisle
United States
West Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all so much! I now have a full and complete understanding. Additionally, thanks for going easy where I was simply ignorant!
Bob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Lopez
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, thank you. That clears things up considerably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.