Subject: Interesting, for casual play? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric O. LEBIGOT
China
Beijing
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How interesting are What Lies Ahead and, more generally, the Android: Netrunner expansions for casual play?

I'm not so much into deck-building, but I enjoy variety: could expansions help?

One of my general concerns is that deck-building might render the core decks more unbalanced (depending on the skills of the players), which would spoil part of the fun.

What's your take on this subject?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just wondering this as well. Good question!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
The core decks are already unbalanced. After a few games you *have to* deck-build because you start to see the obvious flaws in each deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, it's impossible to use the expansions without deck building.

Also also, half the fun of the game is not knowing what's in your opponent's deck (particularly not knowing what surprises the corp has up its sleeve). I rather dislike playing against my own decks, since I know all the cards in them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't use WLA without deck building, but some of the cards in it are really cool in a casual game. The new agendas, Snowflake, Janus, Morningstar, Imp...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If what you want is variety and a breath of fresh air in your games, the expansions will certainly cover both. Perhaps some expansions more than other. For example, trace amount is about to revolutionize Jinteki.

Note that there is very little power creep. Old ICE and ICE breakers don't just get replaced by new ones for example. Instead, you now wonder which you should include in which type of decks.

That said, some new cards can sometimes open new combos that can sometimes be rather powerful. So rather than specific types of cards getting stronger (ICE, events, etc) it is the strategies that get weak or stronger as the new influx of cards change the "meta".

This certainly bring variety and a sense of freshness to your game. However, like others have said, it's impossible to use the expansion unless you deck build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I would do if I was only interested in casual play, is use the expansion packs to be make 1 deck of each faction that doesn't need cards from other decks. This will allow for less time removing/re-adding cards from deck to deck when one wants to play something different.

Netrunner is the kind of game where player skill plays a much more important role than a few slightly better cards in one's deck. Sure, you may need to deckbuild a bit to make those decks (i.e. don't put 2 spinal modems if you don't have a lot of link cards in the deck), but after that you can let the decks sit as they are, until a new expansion comes out and you decide to build even more decks for variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a nice idea, but it's not actually possible right now, unless he has more than one core set. With just WLA and one core set you can't actually build more than 2 Corp decks before you run out of agendas. And one of them has to be NBN. (HB, Jinteki, and Weyland each have 12 points of in-faction agendas, NBN has 18. There are 15 points of neutral agendas, and you need 20 to make a deck. Trace Amount or a second core set lets you do it. You'd still be strained for economy in all four decks though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Finkle
msg tools
There's some pretty easy substitutions to make to incorporate WLA cards into the base decks without having to really deckbuild, and doing so streamlines the decks a little bit, while also bringing the Corp deck totals up to a preferred 49 cards.

Haas-Bioroid (either identity):
-2 Hunter
-3 Private Security Force
-2 Shipment from Mirrormorph
+2 ASH 2X3ZB9CY
+3 Janus
+3 Draco
+3 Mandatory Upgrades

Jinteki:
-2 Hunter
+3 Braintrust
+3 Snowflake
+3 Draco

NBN:
-2 Hunter
-3 Priority Requisition
+3 Restructured Datapool
+3 TMI
+3 Draco

Weyland:
-2 Hunter
+3 Project Atlas
+3 Draco
+3 Caduceus

Noise:
-3 Access to Globalsec
+3 Imp

Whizzard:
-1 Grimoire
-2 Corroder
-2 Wyrm
+3 Morning Star
+2 Spinal Modem

Gabriel:
-3 Access to Globalsec
-3 Crypsis
+3 Peacock
+3 Cortez Chip

Kate:
-3 Akimatsu Mem Chip
-3 Access to Globalsec
+3 ZU.13 Keymaster
+3 Helpful AI

This trims some of the worst cards on each side, while keeping them all faction-pure.

Now, if you get the second expansion as well, things start to get a little bit more shaken up, as there's fewer automatic replacements as bad as Hunter or Access to Globalsec.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's easy enough to build faction decks and swap between them by just swapping neutrals in and out, but in regards to the same thing for agendas in corps, it's gonna be tricky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Double Plus Undead
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like any other game, it all depends on how much you enjoy the game, and how much you've already played the core set. I don't think it's a good idea to play the core once or twice, and then just run out and buy expansions. You should get a good feel for the core before you start building decks. Moreover, playing the core set is a different experience from playing with the core + expansions (pre-constructed vs. constructed).

Since you've said you're not much into deck-building, but you want variety, I suggest picking up What Lies Ahead, and seeing how it works for you. If it doesn't work out for you, then you've only spent $15.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or ten dollars from CoolStuffInc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.