10 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Rules

Subject: Strength and encountering ice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Theo Sinitsin
United States
flag msg tools
Still not clear on one thing after almost 10 games..

Do I need to match ice's strength to bypass it? Or do I only need to match to break subroutines?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benedetto Loffredo
Italy
Portici (NA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phenomenon wrote:
Still not clear on one thing after almost 10 games..

Do I need to match ice's strength to bypass it? Or do I only need to match to break subroutines?

Thanks

Search the Official FAQ for bypass:

“Bypass”
When an effect allows the Runner to “bypass” a piece of ice,
he immediately passes that ice and continues the run. Any
subroutines on the ice bypassed are not broken. Bypassing
prevents any unresolved conditional abilities that met their
trigger condition when the ice was encountered from resolving.

and

Bypassing is not considered to be interacting with the ice.

So, no, you don't need to match the strenght.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This one confuses a lot of people.

When you encounter Ice, it doesn't necessarily stop you from going through. Only if a subroutine says "End the run", does it explicitly stop you from going through.

If a piece of ice has no "End The Run" subroutines, you may let the subroutines fire off and walk through.

Strength only matters if you want to break subroutines with Icebreaker programs. Even then, only the Icebreakers' strength matter.

You as the runner has NO concept of strength attached to you.

The term "bypass" is special case and will only apply to a select few cards. In all other cases, you encounter the ice. Breaking subroutines is not the same as bypassing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Poitier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
And in the interest of bypassing ice, like explained above, you don't need to match the strength.

So for example, if you install a Femme Fatale and have it target a Janus 1.0, then when you encounter that Janus 1.0, you can bypass it for 4 credits, using Femme Fatale's bypass technique, without having to boost
Femme Fatale to Janus 1.0's strength before being able to bypass.

You only need to boost an icebreaker to the ice's strength when you want to break the subroutines the "normal" way and prevent them from triggering. You don't need to boost an icebreaker to the ice's strength when you want to let the subroutines trigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Finkle
msg tools
If you are using Femme Fatale's "bypass" ability, no, you do not need to match strength.

If you are talking about simply getting past an Ice, you also do not need to match strength. As long as the Ice does not have any "End the Run" subroutines, assuming you survive everything it throws at you, you will proceed past that Ice after its subroutines resolve. This means Ice like Neural Katana and Hunter never actually stop you, they just damage you to punish you as you run on by them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two BYPASS abilities in the game currently.

Inside Job, which bypasses the FIRST ice ENCOUNTERED (which means the Corp has rezzed it).

Femme Fatale, which bypasses a currently ENCOUNTERED ICE, where the ICE was designated when Femme Fatale was INSTALLED.

Both Bypasses require that the Runner ENCOUNTER the ICE.

Both Bypasses do not require ANY other tools (Icebreakers) to be effective, meaning that an Inside Job played with no icebreakers will BYPASS the first encountered piece of ICE.

Thus - there is no need to 'match strength' of anything to anything in order to use the existing BYPASS abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is this, the fourth thread on this topic in two days?

I'm surprised you don't have a copy-paste answer ready to go, BT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott C
United States
Troy
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that Femme can designate an unrezzed piece of ice as its bypass target, in addition to BT's excellent summation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though this is a common topic, I am very glad I read it as it appears that me and all my friends have been playing Inside Job wrong. We usually pay the 2 credits and toss it down on an unrezzed piece of Ice and the Corp player usually just let's us come through to the Server or the next piece of Ice.

So if I understand this correctly then I should play Inside Job on any Server with Ice and the Corp player actually gets to decide which piece of Ice is encountered. What if the Corp player does not Rez any of his Ice, therefore Inside Job does not encounter any Ice? I assume you still sail on through and Inside Job goes to your discard pile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omahavice wrote:
Even though this is a common topic, I am very glad I read it as it appears that me and all my friends have been playing Inside Job wrong. We usually pay the 2 credits and toss it down on an unrezzed piece of Ice and the Corp player usually just let's us come through to the Server or the next piec of Ice.

So if I understand this correctly then I should play Inside Job on any Server with Ice and the Corp player actually gets to decide which piece of Ice is encountered. What if the Corp player does not Rez any of his Ice, therefore Inside Job does not encounter any Ice? I assume you still sail on through and Inside Job goes to your discard pile?
Correct. Unrezzed ICE is not encountered, therefore Inside Job does not trigger.

If the Corp does not rez any of their ICE, then Inside Job goes to your Heap, having done exactly what it was supposed to do: make it easier for you to run on the server.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.