United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
The Cathedral is vast, as are you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of casualties or the box?

Any help appreciated!

Edit: From the rule book—figures must come from those not initially deployed at the start of battle or from casualties. (Not from the box, then.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Symons
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
From the rule book—figures must come from those not initially deployed at the start of battle or from casualties. (Not from the box, then.)

I had interpreted this as figures coming from the box, since (if I'm not mistaken) there are no scenarios in Winter Wars with reinforcements that are not on the board at the start of a scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McCann
United States
Forest
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are like the Frankenstein monster, they are made up from the parts of old dead plastic soldiers. Usually they come from figures that have become deceased on the playing field.

In some scenarios, you must wait for enough of your figures to be killed off in order to have enough figures for NEW zombie units to enter as reinforcements. This situation will vary based on the number of units initially placed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So is the only time they don't come from dead figures is in the campaigns where you can have reinforcements waiting just off board? I vaguely remember this, but haven't played any of campaign books 1 and 2 yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McCann
United States
Forest
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dave65tdh wrote:
So is the only time they don't come from dead figures is in the campaigns where you can have reinforcements waiting just off board? I vaguely remember this, but haven't played any of campaign books 1 and 2 yet.

In either case, the only limitation is that you actually have some figures to place on the board. If you have extra copies of the game, this is not an issue as you can draw from that resource. If not, then you have to wait for some bodies to assemble your units. If you have two dead bodies and two undeployed from the start, then you are good to go to assemble one INFANTRY unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mzungu wrote:
dave65tdh wrote:

In either case, the only limitation is that you actually have some figures to place on the board. If you have extra copies of the game, this is not an issue as you can draw from that resource. If not, then you have to wait for some bodies to assemble your units. If you have two dead bodies and two undeployed from the start, then you are good to go to assemble one INFANTRY unit.
Wait, what? So you're saying you can take them from the box? Thus essentially you can always get a new unit. That's not how I interpret this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Blountville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:
Edit: From the rule book—figures must come from those not initially deployed at the start of battle)
Those still in box

HiveGod wrote:
or from casualties.
Those removed from the game board not being used as Victory Point markers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
The Cathedral is vast, as are you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait—so I can go to the closet, get my other copy of M'44 and drop a free unit out of that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Campaign book rules have restriction that reserves played during game must come from deceased figures. So you have to lose a few figures before bringing reserves out. Different set of rules but could be the same.

I don't like the just use whatever figures are laying Around though. Seems too arbitrary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like just using whatever figures either. If that was the case, why even have verbage about not being able to make a complete figure since you'd always be able to make one with a second set. You would just say 'roll a die, get the new unit, period.'

Furthermore, Reinforcements sound to me like units coming in to reinforce damaged/wounded/weak units, not just starting with an extra unit (since you'd always just play it at the bigging of the game). This seems to me that would make the reinforcement card much more powerful than the other other winter combat cards. There's only a few scenarios that you wouldn't have enough dead infantry troops after a couple turns anyways (Longvilly Trap as the Germans might be the exception as we found out..)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McCann
United States
Forest
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guys, before you get too crazy here just follow the specific rules for each scenario. Some scenarios may limit the Reinforcements to units on the board that have passed (or total number of figures in the box). But it is not true that ALL scenarios do.

The card says SPARE figures, and I think that for the scenarios written where you would use this card it is reasonable to limit the Reinforcements to the number of units in the box. As for an oficial answer, DOW will have to give that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
As it refers to spare figures, then the answer would be, from the box. If you own more than 1 copy, you may draw from both games.

I draw this conclusion from the following section from Campaign Book 1:

Pg 4

"Deployment" / 1st paragraph

"To deply a Reserve unit onto the battlefield, you must have enough spare figures of the matching type available immediately after game set-up (owners of multiple copies of the game are free to use figures from their second game box, if need be).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
jedimusic wrote:
Campaign book rules have restriction that reserves played during game must come from deceased figures.

Reserves which are deployed on the board before a given scenario starts, so they cannot be made of losses from a battle which has not started yet. These must be at full strength though (quote from the book "you must have enough figures left in your stock..). Depending on the scenario one may run short of figs for a unit type, so there may be cases where a Reserve unit cannot be deployed directly onto the board.

A partial unit may be formed in the Reserve Area and from there ordered onto the board at less than full strength. But Reserve units formed in the staging area may be made up:

CB 1 / Pg 4 / "Deplyment to your Staging Area" / 2nd para

"from casualties, spares, or other units of the same type exiting the battlefield,..."

As seen above, players may drawn from 2 different games for these figs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well good to know. Thanks everyone.

Of the 10 WW scenarios, the first 8 have plenty of units available for an immediate, game starting use of the Reinforcement Card. The last 2, well you have to kill off 2 infantry first.

And damn, now my US win in Longvilly Trap has a big asterisk on it.
Still great fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McCann
United States
Forest
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mzungu wrote:
Guys, before you get too crazy here just follow the specific rules for each scenario. Some scenarios may limit the Reinforcements to units on the board that have passed (or total number of figures in the box). But it is not true that ALL scenarios do.

The card says SPARE figures, and I think that for the scenarios written where you would use this card it is reasonable to limit the Reinforcements to the number of units in the box. As for an oficial answer, DOW will have to give that.

http://cdn1.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/en/img/mm_op3_rules_en...

Quote:
When a Combat card refers to Spare Figures, these figures must come either from figures that were not initially deployed at the start of battle or from figures lost in fighting.

So the figures from your box that you did not use in the initial setup AND any figure lost in battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.