Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:

Bah, exclusive content for a new edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eeeville wrote:

Hopefully they make those available to current owners (even for a small cost).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazareth Minnelli
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the hero/role card's art is different as well, which I wouldn't mind at all...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Nuts wrote:
Eeeville wrote:

I'd be up for a BGG Promo pack with the two new role cards. So long as they don't add anything else to the mix. Otherwise, it will be print-and-play with those roles because I ain't buying another copy of this game for two cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Nguyen
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
Here's the link to what's new. On The Brink box is getting a re-design too.

http://www.zmangames.com/news.htm#Pandemic-5years
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
It mentions a compatibility pack being available for On the Brink (if you want the new On the Brink but have the older Pandemic), but nothing about getting the two new roles. I agree that would be a good BGG promo.

Also, the next expansion (In the Lab) is coming out later this year. Finally, some official word about that! Hopefully, that works on its own, regardless of which versions of the game (and On the Brink) you have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm starting to wonder if this may be some form of marketing technique. A few weeks back a much anticipated wargame (The Guns of Gettysburg) released a proposed box front which drew almost universal condemnation.

The publisher quickly engaged with the unruly masses on BGG and arranged a poll with a couple of new cover designs put forward and then selected the most voted for as the new box cover.

This obviously generated lots of praise from the community and a lot of involvement, which, possibly, translates into increased sales from those who now feel they have taken part in the process.

So I wait for the competition to be announced to select an alternative box front for Pandemic in a week or so's time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Jiménez
Spain
Crevillente
Alicante
flag msg tools
We are talking about the same in this forum...

http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/16140/pandemic-gets-an-ove...

... and people offered interesting information and said interesting stuff. I invite you to take a look if you are interested.

Have a nice day everyone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
This is a really disappointing effort. These people really should know by now, that box art must feature a 17th century merchant (or very similar character).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Photos of the new board, Epidemic card and card back have been posted to the Pandemic Facebook page. Also the photo shows a couple of translucent blue cubes (highlighting the location of a Pandemic Facebook contest winner) but could these be included in the new version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanders
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Notice it goes with Montreal instead of Toronto. So for those that get the conversion pack to play the new version of On the Brink or In the Lab - will have to keep that in mind when they draw the Montreal card, they need to place in Toronto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
JoffW wrote:
Photos of the new board, Epidemic card and card back have been posted to the Pandemic Facebook page. Also the photo shows a couple of translucent blue cubes (highlighting the location of a Pandemic Facebook contest winner) but could these be included in the new version?

What is this? New Zealand finally being on a map in a board game! oh... they cut it in half... never mind.

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure i like the new cover either, but the old cover didn't actually sell the game much IMO. A bunch of scientists and medics on a cover doesn't inspire: "OMG, we HAVE to try this game" reactions much.

Whenever i am in a store, i see people looking at game boxes trying to decide on a game they NEVER pick the Pandemic box. It just looks boring to someone who doesn't already know what the game is.

This cover looks more action-oriented, which may help it sell more to the masses, even if it's still a bunch of scientists and medics on a cover. At least maybe now some people will actually take the box to read what's on the back... which is already a much bigger step for a sale than with the old cover.

So i guess i understand the marketing aspect of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like I'm in the minority of those who like the new cover better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Z-Man needs a new copy editor, the writing and typos in that announcement are staggeringly bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whaleyland wrote:
Mr_Nuts wrote:
Eeeville wrote:

I'd be up for a BGG Promo pack with the two new role cards. So long as they don't add anything else to the mix. Otherwise, it will be print-and-play with those roles because I ain't buying another copy of this game for two cards.

No doubt. I just bought this game a couple of weeks ago because I found it at Target for $40 and compared to the inflated price on Amazon, thought I was getting a bargain. Now I find out that the game is being reprinted with new components and *shocking* exclusive content. The part that really grinds my gears is that I haven't even had a chance to play the game yet. I guess that I should have just waited. shake

Compatability pack? We don't need no stink'n compatability pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thdizzy wrote:
It looks like I'm in the minority of those who like the new cover better.

I'm really not getting the hate for the new cover. It's fine. It's not like the old one was anything great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
O God, thy sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mb
DakotaDevil wrote:

No doubt. I just bought this game a couple of weeks ago because I found it at Target for $40 and compared to the inflated price on Amazon, thought I was getting a bargain. Now I find out that the game is being reprinted with new components and *shocking* exclusive content. The part that really grinds my gears is that I haven't even had a chance to play the game yet. I guess that I should have just waited. shake

DakotaDevil, it's okay. The edition you have now is still a great game. Although we haven't seen all of the redesigned components yet, the older board looks better than the new board, IMO. Crack the copy you have and ignore then new printing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gray
United States
Erie
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DakotaDevil wrote:

"Inflated price on Amazon" = out of print game. You purposely rushed out to pay full retail on an out of print game, whose reprint or rebrand status neither Zman or Leacock had given any information about. You could have lucked out and not had it reprinted for a year -- your copy would have been worth $100. As it is, you took a chance, you knew you took a chance, and now your gears are ground and you're on a forum complaining. Sorry, but it's your fault, man.

That said, Amazon copies are still fetching $50... Seems likely you can sell yours, get most your money back, and start over if you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Hortness
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it kind of funny that so many people are hating on the new box cover. Yeah, it is a bit tacky but it isn't any worse than the original box art.

The original is just plain ugly and makes the game look really boring. Every time I open Pandemic I half expect to find a chemistry textbook inside.

And what is up with the original Pandemic font?!? Is this game about a viral outbreak or is the earth being hit by an asteroid?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ND3G wrote:
And what is up with the original Pandemic font?!? Is this game about a viral outbreak or is the earth being hit by an asteroid?

Funny, I was thinking exactly the same thing about the new font used on the cards and board. It's awful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
DakotaDevil wrote:

No doubt. I just bought this game a couple of weeks ago because I found it at Target for $40 and compared to the inflated price on Amazon, thought I was getting a bargain. Now I find out that the game is being reprinted with new components and *shocking* exclusive content. The part that really grinds my gears is that I haven't even had a chance to play the game yet. I guess that I should have just waited. :shake:

DakotaDevil, it's okay. The edition you have now is still a great game. Although we haven't seen all of the redesigned components yet, the older board looks better than the new board, IMO. Crack the copy you have and ignore then new printing.

Haha, thanks for the reassurance post. I have already opened the game and I had no intent on selling the game for profit because it was out of print. What blind sided me was that there are two new role cards that I will miss out on because I didn't wait for the anniversary edition. Also, if i want to get the anniversary edition of the expansion, I will need to dish out extra cash for a "compatability pack" punishment pack. Seriously missed this announcement by less than two weeks.

That being said, I dislike the new artwork and I'm glad I have the regular edition. But how are we supposed to get these new role cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanders
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The new design for the Scientist role card is up on Facebook page - for anyone interested.

Edit: Now the Medic role is up as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

That being said, I dislike the new artwork and I'm glad I have the regular edition. But how are we supposed to get these new role cards?

The roles are just cards placed face-up in front of you with some text on it.
I have no doubt those two new cards text will be posted by someone on BGG. Just scribble the text somewhere and play those roles.

Wern't there some extra "blank" cards in the old print? Can't remember. If there is, then just use those and scribble on them.

I wouldn't go out of my way to purchase just two cards which are not used during the actual game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.