Popular Tags: [View All]
James McAninch
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's old, but it's also free!

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/index.html

For all those out there lamenting not being able to achieve the excellence they know they can, here's your opportunity. I got my copy and it works very nicely, thankyewverymuch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
North Wales
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So hear me roar! RAWR!
badge
Her Serenity, The Lady of Pain.
mbmbmbmbmb
GeneralPeeEff wrote:
It's not actually free. You're only supposed to download it from that page if you already own it.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/01/adobe-...

"Effective December 13, Adobe disabled the activation server for CS2 products and Acrobat 7 because of a technical glitch. These products were released over 7 years ago and do not run on many modern operating systems. But to ensure that any customers activating those old versions can continue to use their software, we issued a serial number directly to those customers. While this might be interpreted as Adobe giving away software for free, we did it to help our customers." - Adobe

So basically it is free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, CS2 was written for the PowerPC Macs, so you need to be running an older version of the MacOS which still supports the PPC processor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Either way, you can download and activate photoshop, so that works for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
United Kingdom
North London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Better still, bite the bullet and make a start on learning to use GIMP - the current version is genuinely free, and unless you're a magnificent digital artist (in which case you'll own a current version of Photoshop anyway), GIMP will do everything you'd want to do with Photoshop.

There's a bit of a learning curve, but plenty of tutorials around
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KAndrw wrote:

There's a BIG learning curve, but plenty of tutorials around

fixed that for you ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stexe wrote:
So basically it is free.
I'd vote for no.

It's more like free in the way it's free if you fetch it using a torrent tracker.

Gimp however is free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
Sadly, CS2 was written for the PowerPC Macs, so you need to be running an older version of the MacOS which still supports the PPC processor.
And no way anyone interested in running Photoshop could run Windows?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
kentreuber wrote:
And no way anyone interested in running Photoshop could run Windows?!
\

yeah it's windows too.
P
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madman in a box
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'll just put this over here with the rest of the fire.
badge
Have you tried turning it off and on again?
mb
GeneralPeeEff wrote:
They did it to help their customers, a group which you aren't a member of if you didn't pay for it.

Seriously, man, this is all over the web. CS2 isn't free, Adobe screwed up, end of story.
But it's still there. A screw up would have been pulled within an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brannan
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
GeneralPeeEff wrote:
They did it to help their customers, a group which you aren't a member of if you didn't pay for it.

Seriously, man, this is all over the web. CS2 isn't free, Adobe screwed up, end of story.
But it's still there. A screw up would have been pulled within an hour.

It was pulled, and then it was put back up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KAndrw wrote:
Better still, bite the bullet and make a start on learning to use GIMP - the current version is genuinely free, and unless you're a magnificent digital artist (in which case you'll own a current version of Photoshop anyway), GIMP will do everything you'd want to do with Photoshop.

I've been a heavy GIMP user but if I could get PhotoShop for cheap I would drop it in a heartbeat because GIMP needlessly costs me thousands of keystrokes a year.

The thing is that they default the file save type to their file format and will not let you change the default so every single time I want to save a new file, I have to type the extension.

Every.
Single.
Time.

Every other graphics editing program I have used has let you select what you want your default file type to be but GIMP cares more about frutilessly trying getting people to use their format than they do about their users' efficiency.

That is so infuriating I tell people it is only worth going through learning it if you are willing to put up with such an idiotic policy. If not, don't bother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Slomiany
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KAndrw wrote:

It's been a while since I tried to play with GIMP. At the time, GIMP didn't have the "layer style" blend/effect-y things. Which was a deal breaker for me.

Does GIMP have that capability now? I couldn't tell just by quickly browsing their website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have someone in school or you're faculty, you can get photoshop or the whole creative suite CHEAP.

like 300 bucks.

Use your children, they owe you.
www.academicsuperstore.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
ghostOfChristmas wrote:

It's been a while since I tried to play with GIMP. At the time, GIMP didn't have the "layer style" blend/effect-y things. Which was a deal breaker for me.

I think GIMP has had these (usually called 'layer blending modes') for a very long time.

The problem I always had with the GIMP when I've tried it was that its UI was rather obtuse and unfriendly, and seemed to go out of its way to do things differently from every other graphics package on the planet just so it could be different. So maybe layer blending modes have always been there and they were just hiding somewhere you never expected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bichatse wrote:
The problem I always had with the GIMP when I've tried it was that its UI was rather obtuse and unfriendly, and seemed to go out of its way to do things differently from every other graphics package on the planet just so it could be different. ...

I heard about this yesterday but haven't tried it yet:

http://www.gimpshop.com/

It's a version of gimp that is supposed to mimic PhotoShop's UI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
EvanMinn wrote:

It's a version of gimp that is supposed to mimic PhotoShop's UI.

Maybe it's changed, but last time I tried that it really just changed a few keyboard shortcuts, or something like that. It didn't help much!

(For what it's worth, I'm personally perfectly happy with a combination of Photoshop Elements and Sai; not to suggest that the information couldn't be of use to others, of course.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
North Wales
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So hear me roar! RAWR!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used both GIMP and Photoshop a lot. Both have pros and cons -- I find that Photoshop has a lot of cool features and neat things (like MagicWand and Heal Brush) that are a lot weaker on GIMP. On the other hand GIMP is easier to do small changes since it is faster to load and make edits.

Either way, Adobe did mess up in a sense, but more that they discontinued support for older products due to a technical glitch than for making it available to everyone.

It is "free" in the sense that anyone can download and use it, but I probably would advise against using it for commercial reasons.

Heck, I'm still using my free trial of Photoshop CS6 like 6 months after it should have expired. Not sure how since I didn't crack it or anything, but it still works fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McAninch
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:
If you have someone in school or you're faculty, you can get photoshop or the whole creative suite CHEAP.

like 300 bucks.

Use your children, they owe you.
www.academicsuperstore.com

I am seriously considering using my brother-in-law for this purpose. I would love to get the suite, the newest one, for sure. I keep drooling over it every time I'm in the Apple store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Spears
United States
Athens
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil of Mars wrote:

I enrolled in an accounting class at my local community college about 2 years ago (1) to see if I was interested in going back to school, and (2) legally take advantage of academic software pricing.

I found out that somehow I have less time for school now than I did 10 years ago, but I got a copy of PS5 (at the time) to show for it. 3DMax, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lopuszanski
United States
North Wales
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
So hear me roar! RAWR!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rasslor wrote:
Phil of Mars wrote:

I enrolled in an accounting class at my local community college about 2 years ago (1) to see if I was interested in going back to school, and (2) legally take advantage of academic software pricing.

I found out that somehow I have less time for school now than I did 10 years ago, but I got a copy of PS5 (at the time) to show for it. 3DMax, too.

Yeah, I know a few people who do this. They go back to a local community college to take advantage of a TON of education discounts.

Not only that but he gets access to the school's camera equipment, video editing equipment, and theater majors as free extras for his films. Seems like a brilliant idea to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.