Subject: First Play Yesterday rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Roach
England
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
I can't think of anything I've ever played for the first time where the rules just didn't get me so would up that I'd end up wanting to pull my hair out. I'm not saying it was always easy to understand, or even easy to find the rule you needed, but you just knew what was meant, if that makes sense?

My nephew, who is very knew to gaming, this being only his 3rd different game (in five days!), and I, played the intro scenario like it advises.
In the end we fathomed out how to play (whether that is playing properly or not i don't know :blush: )and spent a good enjoyable 3 1/2 hours playing, in the end I'd say it was quite close, the only real difference coming down to the fact he had a few shields on the board and I didn't :(, so he got fame for a couple of them and the bonus for winning that bit, and that was pretty much the difference in the end.

I was surprised at how useful the wound cards were though, neither of us used one.
Maybe when we start to fight each other that will change?
I think the problem was that if there was an enemy we couldn't beat then we didn't attack and risk getting wounded.

The overall feel is that it's pretty good, but there's something missing, and I don't know what. maybe that missing bit will be found with a better understanding of the game and a few more plays

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend watching some of the videos here on BGG that walk you through how to play the game. They'll help you sort out the rules.

And you'll find if you don't play the walkthrough scenario, that avoiding wounds altogether is almost impossible, and taking a few wounds isn't that bad, and is often the better choice when there is a good reward for winning the battle (free spell, artifact, etc.)

I'd say watch a walkthrough video or two, then sit down and give it another try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stine
Italy
Genoa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I played my first game a few days ago, too. It was a solo game and I played the First Reconnaissance.

I found no problem whatsoever understanding the rules, except maybe having to re-read several times how the dummy player was supposed to work. The only little critique I have, perhaps, is that they could have spared a new player some extra headache by clearly pointing out solo specific rules in the walkthrough itself.

If anything, I found it too easy (found the city on day 2, but it's true I stayed clear of troublesome ruins and dungeons). I am sure real scenarios will be a complete different challenge, anyway. Looking forward to more action, possibly with some playing partner to compete with/bash on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pasiro wrote:
I think the problem was that if there was an enemy we couldn't beat then we didn't attack and risk getting wounded.

Definitely watch the walkthrough videos, or take a look at the PBF's - you might be getting something wrong.

However, I want to pick up on this point specifically, I'm not sure what you meant by "I was surprised at how useful the wound cards were though, neither of us used one."

How useful the wound cards were? They're not useful at all, you dont want to get them!

Saying that, and referring to the part I quoted, the game is designed that face up enemies you can work out the combat in advance. So you are right not to attack them if you cant defeat them, but....

Defeating them and taking no wounds is one thing.
Defeating them and taking wounds is another.

You can defeat a monster but still get wounded by it, as blocking is optional. And in fact, you will find that you often taking that wound and killing the monster is the best move. If you play the whole game not going into a fight if you will take a wound, then you will not do much fighting and wont get much fame overall. And there are plenty of ways of getting rid of wound cards, just try not to get too many.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pasiro wrote:

During the night, or when attacking monasteries, or entering dungeons, or monster dens, etc., you don't know what the enemy is going to be. It's pretty hard to avoid being in a situation where you have any chance at all to take wounds, no matter how conservative you are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berry
United States
Denver
CO - Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
as long as you go into a situation able to deal with the worst case scenario, you should do so. it just really hurts when the unit with paralyze takes away your hand because you didn't plan on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Steynen
Belgium
Wilrijk
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight lesson No 245: Always prepare for the Medusa!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Kuehl
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tekar wrote:

I think it's also safe to add Rule 246 now too: Always prepare for arcane immunity. Such a pain to deal with...I almost miss the Medusas being common.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lim
Singapore
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tekar wrote:

Always make sure you have Cold Toughness before entering a dungeon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i played the 1st scenario solo.. with the tiles in number order.. easy- ish.. 2nd game i had soem bad hands but managed

then i tried mixed up tiles and got owned no villages and exits blocked by keeps and mage towers and me not being powered/leveled up! so instant 3 wounds feel like a muligan redo over..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Roach
England
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
Todays play went better. We played the intro scenario again but added an extra tile to the countryside ones and shuffled them. We also took out the idea of giving fame for turning a tile over and we ended the game when someone got to the city.
I played Norrowas and my nephew played Goldyx and despite taking five wounds by the end of the first round I still managed to win this on 88 - 73 :D
We were at it 4 1/4 hours though, we really need to get quicker :what:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.