Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: completionism [+] [View All]
Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I know, I know. Ask a stupid question get a stupid answer. I know the answer is never, you can never have enough games.

What I am asking is when would you consider a collection to be a pretty well rounded complete collection?

What are some criteria that you use to judge a collection?

Games from the top 100?

At least one game that represents each mechanism or category?

What are your opinions?

Any other criteria you use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smurf-o-Deth
United States
Brownsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's "complete", precious?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Seattle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When they stop making games I want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
When they stop making games I want.

QFT
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TOKYO Heartbroken
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
When I started on German games, it took a while before I played one I really disliked and didn't want to buy. These days, with so many games being published, it's not feasible to play even a fraction of them before buying. But it's enough for me now to know my own tastes and I'm rarely disappointed either way. That is, I know I don't like certain styles of game (such as engine building), and when persuaded to try one, it only confirms my dislike. Equally, when I see placement games, I hardly ever not enjoy them, regardless of winning or losing.

So these days, although I have a massive wishlist, there's only a few games actually missing from my home collection, and even then I'd be owning them with little likelihood of playing them, such as Nuns on the Run.

It's not about being complete, it's about being satisfied, and being able to find a game to hand to suit the people and time and place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmb
I think it's complete when you can ask 100 of your closest friends over and everyone can get into a game that they WANT to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Complete is always after the next purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fxguy1 wrote:

Roughly this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Seattle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Fxguy1 wrote:

Roughly this.

This seems like a terrible strategy. Wouldn't you want to get more games of the type(s) you like, and fewer (potentially even zero) of those you don't? Isn't that the point of preferences? Do you do the same at the grocery store? At least something form every shelf?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
This seems like a terrible strategy. Wouldn't you want to get more games of the type(s) you like, and fewer (potentially even zero) of those you don't? Isn't that the point of preferences? Do you do the same at the grocery store? At least something form every shelf?

laugh

Got an image in my head of someone going into a supermarket and literally picking one of everything off the shelves - even to the extent of opening up packs of fruit to take one raspberry, one grape, one plum, etc, etc.

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
matthean wrote:
Fxguy1 wrote:

Roughly this.

This is not a good analogy. Closer would be: if you have 2% milk, do you also need 0% milk? Sure you like milk, but if you drink one... the other is not going to be used. You'd rather have 1 of each categories in the grocery: 1 bread, 1 meat, 1 milk, 1 fruit, etc.

I'm also of the "one of each category". When you have two similar games, one will always be played and the other... not at all, gathering dust.
If the game is alone in it's category, then even if it's a category you don't enjoy a lot, it can still be taken and played a bit. For example: a "party game". Not something you'd play often, but you'd be happy to have it when you need a party game.

I really do not like party games in general. Yet i can enjoy a game of "Aye, Dark Overlord" once in a while. Similarly, i'm not a big fan of tabletop games, yet i'm happy i have Dust Warfare because once in a while we do get to play it. If i didn't have it, i could get an itch to play it... even if only once a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ralya
United States
R'lyeh
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Engine Publishing (enginepublishing.com)
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
mbmbmbmbmb
When you're dead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sophie Morgan
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine will be complete when I'm dead and I am not around to add anything else to it.

Then my heirs can sell off "Sophie's Complete Collection 'O Games."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is complete when the mounting desire to revisit and replay games you already own surpasses the ever decreasing impulse to buy and play the new hotness or to acquire older games that you know will suit your tastes.

A good rough metric that I've recently hit is that you are done when your list of "owned" games is larger than your list of "want in trade" / "wishlisted" / [unowned] "want to play" games and you stop adding to the latter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:

It's not about being complete, it's about being satisfied, and being able to find a game to hand to suit the people and time and place.

Well said! As my collection has grown, I find myself at the start of the process of weeding through my collection to make it more satisfying. Somethings we know so far are:

1) We are suckers for games with great Art / Theme.
2) We like games with lots of components.
3) While we like heavier games, they don't get to the table as often. Same with games over 1.5 - 2 hours + playing time.
4) We really appreciate games with a sense of humor, such as Belfort or Dungeon Petz.
5) We really like Fantasy / Adventures and Dungeon Crawls.
6) I like Sci-Fi but my wife does not.
7) We enjoy tile placement mechanisms.

So we are beginning to look at additions through this filter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Exit...pursued by a bear.
mb
Quote:
What I am asking is when would you consider a collection to be a pretty well rounded complete collection?

When there is Time Enough at Last...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Seattle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
curtc wrote:
matthean wrote:
Fxguy1 wrote:

Roughly this.

This is not a good analogy. Closer would be: if you have 2% milk, do you also need 0% milk?

Unless you're a chemist, the differences between milk are much slighter than differences between games within a category. Maybe like Puerto Rico Anniversary Edition would be whole milk and regular edition would be 2% or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek Wasilewski
Poland
Warsaw
Falenica
flag msg tools
mb
When You say it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
401k? More like .357
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin Ralya wrote:
When you're dead.

This. And they're all going with me.

Either buried with me, or--to prevent grave robbing for OOP titles by unscrupulous BGGers--they'll make up my pyre as I'm set afloat on my Viking funeral ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minden
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed that the perceived completeness of my collection goes up as my visitation to the Geek goes down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When they bury you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
deedob wrote:
curtc wrote:
matthean wrote:
Fxguy1 wrote:

Roughly this.

This is not a good analogy. Closer would be: if you have 2% milk, do you also need 0% milk?

Unless you're a chemist, the differences between milk are much slighter than differences between games within a category. Maybe like Puerto Rico Anniversary Edition would be whole milk and regular edition would be 2% or something.

Or --- What if you don't like milk at all? Must one buy any milk to complete one's food collection?

If I don't like trick-taking card games, for instance, my collection can be completed without obtaining a single trick-taking card game. Why would I want to buy stuff I never intend to try let alone replay?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nyn -
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
deedob wrote:
curtc wrote:
matthean wrote:
Fxguy1 wrote:

Roughly this.

Do you guys not have families and diversity in your friends? I keep 2 kinds of milk because I want the lactaid whole milk while my wife wants 2%. If my sister stays over, I may need to stock soy milk. My daughter prefers chocolate milk.

But it's still not a good analogy because games are interactive while milk is not.

I have co-op games because my daughter enjoys them and it allows us to play without her having to compete with adults. I have party games because we have friends who love them to the exclusion of anything else. Having my own party games allows me to influence the choice rather than being forced to play the crap trivia that many of my friends would fall back to if allowed. I have light euros and filler games because these are the most realistic for getting playtime at the table. I have kids games because I have a kid (and because I enjoy getting other children hooked on new games).

I haven't even gotten to my favorites yet (heavy Euros, usually).

Diversity is a great thing. My friends are more important than my choice of game. With the right people, I will enjoy most genres (though perhaps not most games). Having a broad selection allows me to fit the audience while also tying in to my own preferences.

So my answer is similar to the one above. My collection will never be complete, but it is my goal to have a little of everything and a lot of what I love.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Seattle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
Or --- What if you don't like milk at all? Must one buy any milk to complete one's food collection?

If I don't like trick-taking card games, for instance, my collection can be completed without obtaining a single trick-taking card game. Why would I want to buy stuff I never intend to try let alone replay?

That was precisely my point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thenyn wrote:
Do you guys not have families and diversity in your friends?

No. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.