Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: completionism [+] [View All]
Curt Carpenter
United States
Seattle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thenyn wrote:
Do you guys not have families and diversity in your friends? I keep 2 kinds of milk because I want the lactaid whole milk while my wife wants 2%. If my sister stays over, I may need to stock soy milk. My daughter prefers chocolate milk.

I didn't say I don't have different kinds of milk. I do. We generally keep five types on hand:
2%
Soy
Almond
Rice
Chocolate

But they're still a lot more similar to each other than Caylus compared to Carson City. But I happen to like worker placement, so I have many.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
deedob wrote:
curtc wrote:
matthean wrote:
Fxguy1 wrote:
At least one game that represents each mechanism or category?

Roughly this.

This seems like a terrible strategy. Wouldn't you want to get more games of the type(s) you like, and fewer (potentially even zero) of those you don't? Isn't that the point of preferences? Do you do the same at the grocery store? At least something form every shelf?

This is not a good analogy. Closer would be: if you have 2% milk, do you also need 0% milk? Sure you like milk, but if you drink one... the other is not going to be used. You'd rather have 1 of each categories in the grocery: 1 bread, 1 meat, 1 milk, 1 fruit, etc.

Do you only eat one exclusive fruit, the same fruit every day forever? One specific cut of meat from one specific animal every day forever? Does a vegetarian eat only one vegetable or an array of them? Doesn't a vegetarian eat more vegetables than any other type of food?

Buying a game with a mechanism or from a category that you don't like, just to have a representative sample, just to comply with someone else's idea of what a complete collection is, seems silly. Completeness is in the eye of the beholder.

To continue the grocery store analogy, vegetarians go to the grocery store but they don't purchase a single piece of meat. Just because other people like meat and put it in their shopping carts, the vegetarian doesn't have to include a meat in her cart. For the vegetarian, her shopping cart is complete with more vegetables and zero meat, while someone else might be happy with a cart containing meat, chips, beer, and no vegetables.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
I didn't say I don't have different kinds of milk. I do. We generally keep five types on hand:
2%
Soy
Almond
Rice
Chocolate

But they're still a lot more similar to each other than Caylus compared to Carson City.

Jeez. This is the reason I have to stop joining a thread on the second page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
matthean wrote:
Fxguy1 wrote:

Roughly this.

This seems like a terrible strategy. Wouldn't you want to get more games of the type(s) you like, and fewer (potentially even zero) of those you don't? Isn't that the point of preferences? Do you do the same at the grocery store? At least something form every shelf?

I don't think deciding pizza, pop, and chips are the best things ever and only getting variations of those will be the best for your diet. While I do get more than one of something if I do like it, I don't go crazy either. Even if I like worker placement games, I don't see the need to own 4-5 of them. I can see getting a gateway version and then a meatier version of a mechanic but that's about it.

Spreading out leads to a more diverse collection for new players I meet and leads me to find things I wouldn't have tried out before, ie wargames. I prefer a small collection of games that I find to be great versus good games. I will as likely get rid of a game as I will get a game at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
United States
San Diego area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's entirely dependent on how often you play and with what variety of gamers. I only play games every couple of months, so my collection would be complete with:

Cribbage
Titan
Hannibal: Rome Vs Carthage
Here I Stand
Space Empires 4x
RoboRally
Arkham Horror
Agricola
Dominion
Ivanhoe
Railroad Tycoon
Star Wars: Epic Duels
Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit
Slide 5
Dixit plus expansions

That covers the variety of people I play with, from wargamers to gamers to family gatherings, and I'd have to play a LOT more than I do to get tired of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheryll Adelt
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
Pinkie Fail
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't that what everyone decides for himself? Someone might want to collect every game from a certain publisher, a certain era, a certain gamestyle etc. Those might be even collections that can be officially finished.
Other people just "collect" all the games they like. That's a criteria that will never allow the collection to be completed at all, since tastes may expand or change.

Personally, I'm not even trying to collect games. I'm perfectly happy with having just a small selection of games I enjoy mixed with some I have mostly for nostalgic value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
I don't understand this "collection" thing. I buy games I want to play. And if I'm really lucky, I play them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sakuko wrote:
Isn't that what everyone decides for himself? Someone might want to collect every game from a certain publisher, a certain era, a certain gamestyle etc. Those might be even collections that can be officially finished.
Other people just "collect" all the games they like. That's a criteria that will never allow the collection to be completed at all, since tastes may expand or change.

Personally, I'm not even trying to collect games. I'm perfectly happy with having just a small selection of games I enjoy mixed with some I have mostly for nostalgic value.

Meh.. Too reasonable. Too grounded. I'm voting for having time enough to play a warehouse full of games and eating one exclusive fruit, the same fruit every day forever in the twilight zone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Koeppen
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
LEGO: Hopeful for new 'Castle' sets in 2015!
badge
Games: Regarding my favorite theme of 'Fantasy', I'm hoping for fewer 'card' games and more 'board' games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin Ralya wrote:
When you're dead.

I'm glad someone said this, because I didn't want to sound too morbid. My collection will be complete when I've died and my collection is sold off to some unworthy son of a b...

I'd love to say "passed down" but I'm not too optimistic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Garber
Canada
Vauxhall
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My collection is complete when there is always at least 1 game in my collection that my wife will want to play no matter what mood she is in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just Another User
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Go to the Games list on this site and print out a copy
2. Circle each game as you acquire it
3. Repeat steps 1&2 weekly, or as often as you need to update with the latest additions to the list
4. When all games on the list are circled, your collection is complete!

OK, I'm not quite that extreme...as those above said, my collection's complete when I say it is. And I'll say it is complete when I have a copy of every game I like to play. Since this will probably never happen, I'll be finished collecting when I'm dead, and before that happens I'll try to ensure that my games pass on to someone else who will enjoy them as much as I did...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what "complete" means. As long as people keep making games I'll keep buying them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan White
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, the answer is 100. I'm not sure I could fit anymore in my closet and it's a nice round number. I'm currently at 65. Ask me again at the end of the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
28green wrote:
For me, the answer is 100. I'm not sure I could fit anymore in my closet and it's a nice round number. I'm currently at 65. Ask me again at the end of the year.

If you are lacking space in your closet for you games, put them in your fridge or on the table center. See wargames are like milk, euros are fruit and ameritrash games are varieties of bread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
28green wrote:

I don't have any more shelf space for my games. But that ain't gonna stop me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
wargames are like milk, euros are fruit and ameritrash games are varieties of bread.

No, wargames are like bread, euros are like veg (and, I guess, some are like fruit), and ameritrash games are like varieties of meat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the limit is not shelf space (this can always be found, especially as I prefer to repack my games to some smaller boxes), but brain space - I don't want to have a game I can't play at least at a decent level. If I learn a game and like it, I want to play it many times, learn its not obvious properties - this is when I enjoy playing the most. I guess this sets my limit around 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
deedob wrote:
wargames are like milk, euros are fruit and ameritrash games are varieties of bread.

No, wargames are like bread, euros are like veg (and, I guess, some are like fruit), and ameritrash games are like varieties of meat.

What i wanna know is where does the baking soda fit in all this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
deedob wrote:

What i wanna know is where does the baking soda fit in all this?

Party game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am approaching 1000 games and my buying is really starting to slow down. I will never stop buying, but as for a well rounded number. 1000 is my sweet spot. I want a game for every type of person for all occasions. I mainly entertain non-gamers, if someone comes over for a game and they like fishing then I want a fishing game to play with them etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
fullerbd wrote:
I am approaching 1000 games and my buying is really starting to slow down. I will never stop buying, but as for a well rounded number. 1000 is my sweet spot. I want a game for every type of person for all occasions. I mainly entertain non-gamers, if someone comes over for a game and they like fishing then I want a fishing game to play with them etc.

This guy bought the grocery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
fullerbd wrote:
I mainly entertain non-gamers, if someone comes over for a game and they like fishing then I want a fishing game to play with them etc.

I'm coming to your house dressed as the Mad Hatter with a stoat on my head just to see what game you offer me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Siouxfire wrote:
curtc wrote:
2%
Soy
Almond
Rice
Chocolate

But they're still a lot more similar to each other than Caylus compared to Carson City.

Jeez. This is the reason I have to stop joining a thread on the second page.

I'm enjoying the discussion, but - good Lord - tears are coming out of my eyes. This is always happening to me where I can't possibly think of an opening into a thread discussion that has already developed to this point.

Hilarious, Sioux.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"I'm coming to your house dressed as the Mad Hatter with a stoat on my head just to see what game you offer me."

Quelf is your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Birder
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Fxguy1 wrote:

Is there a list of mechanisms somewhere around here?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.