Popular Tags: completionism [+] [View All]
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fullerbd wrote:
"I'm coming to your house dressed as the Mad Hatter with a stoat on my head just to see what game you offer me."

Quelf is your game.

Man, you're good!

What game, pray, would you reach for if a friend of yours whom collected toenail clippings and belly-button fluff called round?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hmmm baring no other information I would suggest a wierd set collection game. Maybe

eBay Electronic Talking Auction Game
or
It's Alive!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is kind of fun. This could be a contest on it's own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Avery
Idaho
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin Ralya wrote:
When you're dead.

I wish I would have been earlier to this thread so I could have been the first to post this.

Here's a thumbsup & a
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fullerbd wrote:
This is kind of fun. This could be a contest on it's own.

You should start one! Call it "Challenge Brad"!

Oh, and, yeah, either of those look like they might be good for my hypothetical toenail and belly-button fluff collector friend of yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J T
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Quote:
What I am asking is when would you consider a collection to be a pretty well rounded complete collection?

When there is Time Enough at Last...

Wow. Second time in the last 20 minutes I've seen this referenced on the internet.

Oh and I agree!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
28green wrote:
For me, the answer is 100. I'm not sure I could fit anymore in my closet and it's a nice round number. I'm currently at 65. Ask me again at the end of the year.

I don't have any more shelf space for my games. But that ain't gonna stop me.

mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan White
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should clarify that although 100 is set in stone (hopefully), the games that make up the 100 are not. The goal will always be to have 100 games that I absolutely love. Anymore than 100 and I might feel like I'm approaching hoarding territory. Of course, this is coming from someone who really tries not to have a lot of "stuff". Now, if we were ever to move into a bigger house and it happened to have a bigger closet, I think I could be talked into re-evaluating that 100
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
deedob wrote:
wargames are like milk, euros are fruit and ameritrash games are varieties of bread.

No, wargames are like bread, euros are like veg (and, I guess, some are like fruit), and ameritrash games are like varieties of meat.

What i wanna know is where does the baking soda fit in all this?

Card sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quelf elf
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fxguy1 wrote:
Ok, I know, I know. Ask a stupid question get a stupid answer. I know the answer is never, you can never have enough games.

What I am asking is when would you consider a collection to be a pretty well rounded complete collection?

When I can have any number of people pop over, with a wide variety of tastes, and still be able to get something off the shelf to play with everyone.

Quote:
What are some criteria that you use to judge a collection?

Does it cover all the bases?

Quote:
Games from the top 100?

Hells, no. There are only 20-25 games in there I consider worth playing. At laest that many I never want to play, and almost that many I never have to play again.

Quote:
At least one game that represents each mechanism or category?

That's a start, assuming I like all of them.

Quote:
What are your opinions?

I'd perfer no sci-fi, but if it intrudes on a good game, that's ok.

Quote:
Any other criteria you use?

Do my geekbuddies like it?
Have I played soneome else's copy and liked it?
What do the (+ and -) reviews say?
How likely anm I to play it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find my collection is nearing completion. I know this because I see the new hotnesses that come out and think 'Ehn it's neat looking, but I already have X and don't need both.' That's not to say I will ever be sure it is 'complete' just that there will be a lot fewer additions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anni Foasberg
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't even pay attention to this thread because when I see the title, all I can think is..

Look at these games
Aren't they neat
Wouldn't you think my collection's complete
Wouldn't you think I'm the gamer,
The gamer who has everything?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Avery
Idaho
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
Ibaimendi wrote:
I can't even pay attention to this thread because when I see the title, all I can think is..

Look at these games
Aren't they neat
Wouldn't you think my collection's complete
Wouldn't you think I'm the gamer,
The gamer who has everything?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wisser
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yes, I know "faith" is misspelled ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
The more games I get, the more difficult I find it to actually discover a new gem that I love enough to buy. Also, as I discover new GOOD games, I start to realize how BAD some of my old ones were. I'm in this weird stage right now where I'm trading instead of buying to purge my collection of terrible games I'll never play again and replace them with games I will. Well, also, there's not much more room for them in my current living arrangements. But I imagine my collection will be complete when I hit that wall sooner or later where nothing is innovative enough for me to want to own it. I generally haven't bought games that remind me very closely of something I already own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Rodrick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's quite simple, really. You take your collection to the National Board for Collection Completion and Evaluation. You show them your collection and a board of experts reviews it. If they judge it to be compete they issue a "Complete Collection" Certificate and then your collection is complete.

Of course the standards vary somewhat from country to country so if you are not satisfied that the Certificate demonstrates your collections completeness you can go the the International Agency for Collection Completion and Evaluation and conduct the process again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rrodrick wrote:
It's quite simple, really. You take your collection to the National Board for Collection Completion and Evaluation. You show them your collection and a board of experts reviews it. If they judge it to be compete they issue a "Complete Collection" Certificate and then your collection is complete.

Of course the standards vary somewhat from country to country so if you are not satisfied that the Certificate demonstrates your collections completeness you can go the the International Agency for Collection Completion and Evaluation and conduct the process again.

Or you can easily obtain a prestigious Certification of Collection Completion, on-line, from the Pennsylvania State Collection Evaluation of Completion Authority, for a small payment of just...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Edward Locke
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffcuetis wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
Quote:

Wow. Second time in the last 20 minutes I've seen this referenced on the internet.

Oh and I agree!

This is the correct, most beautiful, and tragic answer. 'Ol Mr. Bemis haunts me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Ritter
United States
Santee
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Most of my games are in storage in 30-gallon plastic bins. I'm organizing them one bin for each type of game (one action/dexterity, one worker placement, one route-building, etc.)

Each bin seems to fit about 10-15 games.

Within each bin (game type), I'm trying to have games of varying complexity that accommodate different numbers of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MichelleOH wrote:
Is there a list of mechanisms somewhere around here?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgamemechanic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Black
United States
Blacklick
Ohio
flag msg tools
Use an innocuous word the mods don't like... that's a banning
badge
Have an opinion... that's a banning
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Quote:

My collection will never be complete. It's not fair

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Segura
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my case it never will be completed, but I "lowered" the addition ratio when I had > 5 boardgames bought but not played yet. Since 2 years ago I'm just adding some games really really awesome for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aitor
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
In order to slow down impulse buys, I put myself a spatial limit for my collection. My collection will be complete when I ran out of space in my shelves. Which will happen shortly.

I have at least one game from every common theme and category, having more games of the themes and categories that I truly like. However, it's impossible to cover all theme/category/complexity combinations, so even if my collection tries to be thematically wide, it won't cover all niches.

I don't use the BGG top 100 as a guide. But, as those games attract more attention and are more likely published in my country, I am indirectly influenced by it. On the other hand, I usually put on my hipster glasses to search for "indie titles" or "hidden gems", because these rare games are the ones which make a collection unique.

In order to judge a collection, I would look at its size, thematical and mechanical variety, and my personal opinion of each individual game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Kokoska
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time - Merton
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of my games are in storage in 30-gallon plastic bins. I'm organizing them one bin for each type of game (one action/dexterity, one worker placement, one route-building, etc.)

Each bin seems to fit about 10-15 games.

.....Not sure why I cringed when I read this??? Perhaps, the visualization of putting all of those beautiful games in large plastic bins...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Ivanesei
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
I should buy less games
badge
Stop looking at my avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
smurfodeth wrote:
What's "complete", precious?

Epic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Paulino Mora Lizano
Costa Rica
Asunción de Belén
Heredia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally, a collection is complete when you start asking when it should be considered complete. That usually happens way beyond the point in which you have more games than you can ever play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.