Popular Tags: completionism [+] [View All]
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
My collection will be complete when I have enough games to build a "Game Fort".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Eng-Kohn
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
Lost Gamer
badge
I want to live here
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't believe you haven't figured this out, there is an obvious answer.

When your BGG wishlist has zero games on it, your collection is complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're never complete because they're not actually collections, just purchases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When someone else in the house discovers they can't put down the book they're carrying around, as there's no spare shelf space, and decides to instigate "the talk".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siouxfire wrote:
fullerbd wrote:
I mainly entertain non-gamers, if someone comes over for a game and they like fishing then I want a fishing game to play with them etc.

I'm coming to your house dressed as the Mad Hatter with a stoat on my head just to see what game you offer me.

I'd break out Ice Weasels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew McClain
United States
Glen Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
http://www.twitch.tv/cruxcapacitor
mbmbmbmbmb
Going along with the grocery store analogy, the important thing to remember when comparing board games to food is that we never stop buying food. We need sustenance! And tell me, how many of us will ever be satisfied buying the same food every single day? How many people are satisfied going to the same restaurant every week? Variety is the spice of life! Another food analogy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Buckey
United States
Concord Twp
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never!!!!

...unless they stop making games altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Buckey
United States
Concord Twp
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Schroinger wrote:
Normally, a collection is complete when you start asking when it should be considered complete. That usually happens way beyond the point in which you have more games than you can ever play.

I think I might be there...but my collection is nowhere near complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Him
United States
Springfield
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to get in on the chain of witty replies, but I'm feeling uninspired at the moment, so I'll offer a serious reply. What I've learned to do after acquiring, downsizing, acquiring again, trading, etc. is to consider my collection conditionally complete. I know what types of game experiences I like. I found some games with a lot of variability and consequently replayability that match pretty much all of those gameplay experiences. With that in mind, I am satisfied with my collection for now, so for now, it is complete. At some point, I may want another game, but that point is not now. Currently I am happy just with looking toward the expansions coming out this year for the games I like. When I get tired of these games, which will take a while with that variability, then I'll look for something new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Buckley
England
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For each game in your collection estimate how many hours you can spend playing it in a year before it begins to go stale. Next subtract the number of hours you have available for playing boardgames*. If you are left with a positive number then your collection is probably complete.

*Time spent playing boardgames using other people's game collections doesn't count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
thenyn wrote:

Do you guys not have families and diversity in your friends?

Diversity is a great thing. My friends are more important than my choice of game. With the right people, I will enjoy most genres (though perhaps not most games). Having a broad selection allows me to fit the audience while also tying in to my own preferences.

So my answer is similar to the one above. My collection will never be complete, but it is my goal to have a little of everything and a lot of what I love.

Yes, my friends are diverse. But if my friends have different styles of game that they favour, then they can buy the things (and they do).

I have no interest in owning games I don't love. And I similarly have no interest in continual purchases.

My collection, if you wish to call it that, is, for the moment, complete. I see no games that I want enough to buy right now (which I could do quite easily with internet and credit card), and I don't simply mean shiny new stuff from this year. There is a very small handful of games that I might muster the effort to purchase at some point in the future, but buying them is not guaranteed.

So the answer is "when you don't feel the need for more".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Reasoner
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
When you own Through the Ages?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
As available storage space and disposable income go down, the collection seems closer and closer to completion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Kohut
United States
military/mobile
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Your collection is complete when you die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ells
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Here the truceless armies yet / Trample, rolled in blood and sweat; / They kill and kill and never die; / And I think that each is I. // None will part us, none undo / The knot that makes one flesh of two, /
badge
Sick with hatred, sick with pain, / Strangling -- When shall we be slain? // When shall I be dead and rid / Of the wrong my father did? / How long, how long, till spade and hearse / Puts to sleep my mother's curse?
mbmbmbmbmb
BobKo wrote:

Your collection is complete when you die.

Just as no work of art is ever finished, merely abandoned at some point by the artist, thus no collection is ever complete; merely, the collector is stopped only by death in collecting ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
thenyn wrote:
Do you guys not have families and diversity in your friends?

No. soblue

Scott, that's just not true. Why, just last week on a different thread a cheeky yank geek invited you to stop by and play games whenever you happen to pass through New Mexico in the American Southwest. For a Brit, that should help with "diverse" gaming friends! ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starla Lester
United States
Las Cruces
New Mexico
flag msg tools
http://www.meetup.com/Las-Cruces-Board-Gamers/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LegoRick wrote:
Martin Ralya wrote:
When you're dead.

I'm glad someone said this, because I didn't want to sound too morbid. My collection will be complete when I've died and my collection is sold off to some unworthy son of a b...

I'd love to say "passed down" but I'm not too optimistic.

You can adopt me....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Collazo
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jbuckey wrote:
Never!!!!

...unless they stop making games altogether.

Agree... but a bit more emphatically:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer the OP's question: Don't collect and don't wonder about being complete. Build your own ideal gaming library, whatever that is, and let others worry about the games you don't have.

deedob wrote:
You'd rather have 1 of each categories in the grocery: 1 bread, 1 meat, 1 milk, 1 fruit, etc.

So, no bananas if you like oranges slightly more. No chicken if you ever want a hamburger... Is this a joke argument? It doesn't seem like it holds enough water to even finish typing it.

Quote:
When you have two similar games, one will always be played and the other... not at all, gathering dust.

Is this honestly how your group plays? Never more than one preferred game for a given mechanism? I've never seen anyone play like this and find it bizarre to the point of absurdity, even assuming everyone at the table prefers the same representative game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Johnson
Wales
Pontypridd
flag msg tools
mb
For me complete collection means I am showing you everything i.e this is my complete collection of games.
There are no games hidden from you because I am embarrassed to own them. It is an honest account of all the games I currently hold. and with the wishlist facility on here an honest account of all propsective game purchases in he near future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

My criteria:

1. If it isn't in my favorites theme of game, then maybe one or two of each mechanic is good enough. If it isn't a favorite theme/type, then I just focus on the mechanic.

2. If there is a nice twist on a mechanic, then it is a must.

3. If it is a fun game to play, then it is a must.

4. If a game falls into my favority theme/class (ie wargame, horror), then there is never enough.

In closing, my collection will never be complete, unless they stop designing new games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
curtc wrote:
matthean wrote:
Fxguy1 wrote:
At least one game that represents each mechanism or category?

Roughly this.

This seems like a terrible strategy. Wouldn't you want to get more games of the type(s) you like, and fewer (potentially even zero) of those you don't? Isn't that the point of preferences?

This is not a good analogy.

I'm also of the "one of each category". When you have two similar games, one will always be played and the other... not at all, gathering dust.
If the game is alone in it's category, then even if it's a category you don't enjoy a lot, it can still be taken and played a bit. For example: a "party game". Not something you'd play often, but you'd be happy to have it when you need a party game.

No, it's a perfectly good analogy for me. I wouldn't play a party game ever (or a racing game, or a risk game, or a fluxx/munchkin game, or an 18xx game, etc) so there is zero point me having one. If people want to play an 18xx game they play it separately, and wouldn't invite me, if people really wanted to play one when I was at theirs I'd go home if it's there place, or go next door and do something else at mine. There is no point whatsoever in me having games of this category.

On the other hand I love worker placement and engine building games, and have no problem owning 10-15 of each. And they all see play. We don't just play a favourite (hard enough to pick, let alone all agree on), we just play ones we've not played so much recently, so they see fairly even play.

Whether or not this approach makes sense obviously varies on what kind of gamer you are...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A collection is complete when it starts gettin' chicks.

Oh yeah.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Birder
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
hsiale wrote:
MichelleOH wrote:
Is there a list of mechanisms somewhere around here?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/browse/boardgamemechanic

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Anstey
Wales
Barry
Vale of Glamorgan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When your house is completely filled with board games, and you can't afford a bigger house (because you've spent too much on board games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.