Popular Tags: completionism [+] [View All]
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone ask this about other collections like music or dvds?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M T
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I feel my collection is complete, there is really not much I would want to add.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Dudley
United States
Barboursville
WV
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a new and upcoming collection of games and I've thought about when it would be necessary to cut back. When will I be satisfied? Then I looked at my rated games in descending order. I want to own every game that I love (every 9 and 10), most of the games I really like (the majority of my 8's), and finally some of the games I enjoyed and would make a good addition to tend to the interests of certain groups (some 7's).

Seeing that I'm always playing new games, the list of games to be in my "complete" collection will grow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am on a Journey...
Australia
Lavington
New South Wales
flag msg tools
...to explore and discover games of all shapes and sizes regardless of colour, condition or creed
mbmbmbmbmb
For me a collection is a little like the concept of learning. It is forever ongoing, updating and evolving.

And for each person the answer is likely to be different. For me owning multiple copies of dice driven Euros is a must as I love that genre, whereas one great auction based game is enough. For someone else it may well be the reverse. It would also be much the same on a theme level, "How many zombie/sci-fi/Egyptian games do I need?"

For me, my collection now is working on two levels. Trying to keep the best examples of genres and getting rid of second tier titles that can't compete for my desire to play another similar game and...

Getting games in simply for the joy of learning what they have to offer, writing about them and then moving them on again. This is something akin to an ongoing education of the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I own every game that I want to play frequently. When I stop playing a game frequently, I stop owning it.

My collection is "complete" each and every day, even as it changes. This isn't very complicated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
xethair wrote:
To answer the OP's question: Don't collect and don't wonder about being complete. Build your own ideal gaming library, whatever that is, and let others worry about the games you don't have.

deedob wrote:
You'd rather have 1 of each categories in the grocery: 1 bread, 1 meat, 1 milk, 1 fruit, etc.

So, no bananas if you like oranges slightly more. No chicken if you ever want a hamburger... Is this a joke argument? It doesn't seem like it holds enough water to even finish typing it.

Quote:
When you have two similar games, one will always be played and the other... not at all, gathering dust.

Is this honestly how your group plays? Never more than one preferred game for a given mechanism? I've never seen anyone play like this and find it bizarre to the point of absurdity, even assuming everyone at the table prefers the same representative game.

I've seen threads detailing this system. Someone even gave it a formal name a couple of years ago. As you say, one of each type, and only one. If something better of that type comes along, you supplant the existing game. Allegedly it means you have the best of the best, and need never require any other games (except if something better comes along).

Absurd, yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Matecha
United States
Florence
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Me my policy has been to limit my collection to 200 games. I still allow myself to purchase or trade for new games provided I sell/trade enough to keep at 200 games or less.

Then this holiday season two things happened to change this:

1 I realized I had not entered most of my kid/family games into my collection database, the correction to this bumped me up to about 240 games.

2 I decided it was time to start trading away my massive Heroscape collection and ended up with 45 more games and no visible dent in my HS pile.

So! I'm at 285 games of my 200 game limit right now and decided to just stop worrying about it. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.J. H.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been thinking about this, because I've only recently gotten into board games as a hobby. I only have 35 games, if you count expansions separately (20, if not.) My collection is "complete" right now, in that after one last delivery gets here, I'll have most of the games that interested me in my initial love affair with the hobby.

I've learned a lot about what I thought I would like and what I actually liked. I plan to keep looking for new games and expansions, but I certainly don't feel like my collection is "incomplete." They aren't pokemon, after all. I can't possibly collect them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
When my wife says it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
depends on what you are collecting for?

Are you collecting games that you want to play?

Or do you just collect all things related to the board game hobby, games, posters, swag, etc and just collect stuff you like?

Or are you collecting Mint, unopened or rare games because you think they will increase in value and can sell them at a later date?

For many people their collection will never be complete and for most it is when they run out of storage space and or money to buy new games.

I don't really "collect" anything anymore because it tends to be a never ending cycle, but I do buy games that look interesting and that I want to play and when a game doesn't get played for a while its gets traded, donated or sold

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveyJJ wrote:
When my wife says it is.

Walk with me, my friend, and I shall teach you the ancient art of "Sneak-it-in."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The great part of having so many games is that she won't ever notice 1 or 2 more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.