Popular Tags: [View All]
Danny Leenders
Netherlands
Bakel
Nederland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

We played a three player game for the first time. In the first round the admiral began played bye Laurence. He played a card that let cara thrace move and use two actions.

She used the action to launch her self in a viper. and moved towards the enemy base star and used the card that let her shoot 4 times. Destroyed all the three raiders and dameged the base star with a critical hit.

Then the admiral turn ended, and kara thrace made her move using another "maximum fire power" and she destroyed the basestar.

Then it was my turn and the FIRST AND ONLY CYCLON ATTACK CRISIS card turned up, and cara thrace used her ability to discard one crisis card.

And for the remainder of the game we had no cyclon attacks. We jumped, we jumped, and jumped. Everything was easy. Halfway through the game i got the "you are a cylon" card as gaius baltar.

I got kara thrace in the brig, and the admiral in the brig. Bud it was to late. The humans one to easy game bye just jumping and all dailes where still high except for population lost to jumping two times bye kara thrace at -3.

We thought we did something wrong because the crisis cards are the only possible way get basestars in the game. We wanted a challinge.

Next time the crisis deck will have 50 cards with all 10 cylon attack cards and and 20 jump marker cards removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You really do need to shuffle the crisis deck well before your first game to reduce the chance of that sort of clumpiness. Even with a well shuffled deck, some games the Cylons just never show up.

Either your next couple of games will be crushing defeats, or something's up - maybe you're really (un)lucky, or you are doing something wrong. Without watching you play, it's hard to say what's going on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmb
Did the humans get out of the Brig? Because if not, they wouldn't really get any jump preps to be able to win. And with both in the Brig, it can be pretty hard to get out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Three player games can be pretty swingy. That being said, it's rare for a character to have two Max Firepower that early and be willing to use them.

Also, vipers only hit basestars on an 8, and it takes several hits to kill them, so most good players would not have even attempted such a thing - its usually a huge waste of a firepower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kārlis Jēriņš
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
I'm a sheep.
badge
A lovely, fluffy sheep.
mbmbmbmbmb
DanLeeDR01 wrote:
He played a card that let cara thrace move and use two actions.

Not that this changes much, but Executive Order gives a move and one action OR two actions, not move and two actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ah good catch. But since Starbuck starts in the Hangar Deck, the sequence as posted would have been legal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DanLeeDR01 wrote:

Next time the crisis deck will have 50 cards with all 10 cylon attack cards and and 20 jump marker cards removed.

I understand your frustration, but I would recommend you play more before you start messing with the distribution in the crisis deck. You just got really unlucky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to provide balance, we played the other day, and managed to get 3 Cylon attacks in a row.

Somehow, we survived.

Next time, we are trying the Cylon Fleet Option from Exodus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Leenders
Netherlands
Bakel
Nederland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

Thanks for al your responses. My friends saw responses on these forums and are eager to play.

The cards where shuffled very good before our first game, we bought the game on ebay so the previous owner als had them mixed up already.

I have got a email from "steyes" (boardgamegeek).

And he tells me to make 10 even piles with one cylon attack card in each pile and then stack then on top of each other. So that we get an even match. Or just get exodus.

Thanks we will play our second game tomorrow evening!meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Nobody is prefect.
badge
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think your biggest mistake was playing with only 3 players. The game isn't well balanced with 3. Only 33% Cylons. And if that lone Cylon comes out as a sleeper agent, he is pretty much frakked.

Play with 5. 40% Cylons is much better; and probably at least one will be a Cylon from the start.

That said, Starbuck is an AWESOME pilot. She can single-handedly stop most assaults. And with three players, her turn comes around VERY regularly, so you shouldn't count on a Cylon victory with assaults anyway. And her bonus ability is much better in the 3-player game than in a 5-player game.

Moreover, Gaius Baltar sucks as a Cylon in the 3-player game. His OPG is only useful as a way to sow suspicion, but if he uses it, Cylon Baltar basically reveals far too much information:
(1) If he does not say what he saw, the others will know that he is a Cylon.
(2) If he says that the cards he saw were of a Cylon, everybody knows that the third player is NOT a Cylon.
(3) If he says that the cards he saw were of a human, everybody knows that that character is REALLY a human (because if Baltar is human he would not lie, and if he is a Cylon that character is definitely human as there is only one Cylon).

The only good thing about Cylon Baltar in a 3-player game is that he is probably the President. But if he hasn't been drawing Quorum Cards like mad, that isn't much use to him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The stacking method will even things out, but I think 1 card per 10 piles is probably too uniform. I have two suggestions.

1) 2 attack cards each, shuffled into 5 even piles, then stacked. This will still give a chance for attacks to happen soon after each other, which I think is a worry you don't want to completely lose.

2) Do as steyes suggests (1 card per pile), stack them, and then give them another quick shuffle. I know that sounds stupid, but it means you are first ensuring that there are no existing clumps, but then you are doing a final randomise, which will give you the uncertainty the game requires.

You don't want to completely even it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
You should definitely do as suggested and split the deck up and distribute the attack cards through them.

What I used to do was to, remove all attack cards, take 2 of them and shuffle them into the crisis deck. Then split the deck into roughly requal piles (so that you can put 2 of the remaining attack cards into each stack)

Then shuffle each stack, and then put them on top of each other. Then finally cut the deck once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Leenders
Netherlands
Bakel
Nederland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Today we have played battlestar galactica again, twice.

The first game, I was (saul tigh), and Laurence was appollo (human) and President Ramon played as Tom Zarek.
We had removed 20 cards from de cris cards, and we were overwhelmed bye cylon attacks. All players liked it because we had to do a lot of decision making. Bud soon we ran out of population.

And at a point the humans had only one population left.

Tom zarek (Ramon)in his turn moved from colonial one to communications to save 2 civilian ships with both -1 pop on them. Then he drawed a crisis card that moved the jump prepariton track towards the -3 location.

Bud Laurence (apollo) still didn't know for sure who was the cylon. He still tought that Ramon (Tom Zarek)was a cylon. So he moved towards the FTL controls and not activate it, and use a action card in his hand as a action.
He did this because now Tom Zarek can't move towards the FTL controls and destroy our last population left.
The track moved towards -1 pop jump bye laurence his crisis card.

Now it was my turn as a cylon, I laught because I was the cylon, I moved towards the FTL controll, and smiled when I threw the dice . I sayed (in Dutch) Wahahahha rofl, rofl there go's your last population.

My victory smile soon turned into a dubble rofl, rofl smile with every one when we all looked at the seven I rolled..

Then I said for the fun: That was all my plan to roll a seven and escape all those enimies saving the fleet.

They sure as didn't beleave me. Next turn I reaveled myself as a cylon (outside the brig and we lost a morale). We decided we should play another game because we only advenced 2 spaced towards earth.

I will post the session report of the second game I played today tomorrow, that game went with a strange twist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Leenders
Netherlands
Bakel
Nederland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
DanLeeDR01 wrote:

Not that this changes much, but Executive Order gives a move and one action OR two actions, not move and two actions.

We understood the executive order.
Bud we where playing with her "expert pilot" ability from her character sheet. I think we did that wrong, since it was not her turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DanLeeDR01 wrote:
TheNameWasTaken wrote:
DanLeeDR01 wrote:

We understood the executive order.
Bud we where playing with her "expert pilot" ability from her character sheet. I think we did that wrong, since it was not her turn.

Yeah, "Expert Pilot" only works on her turn, and only when she starts the turn flying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.