Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Star Trek Deck Building Game: The Next Generation – The Next Phase» Forums » Rules

Subject: Border Incursion Event rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Artl
United States
New Berlin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm been having a great time with all the Star Trek deckbuilding games but I really need to clear up one area that has been constantly bugging me, and that is rewards/abilities on some space deck cards. Let's talk about the Border Incursion event card specifically. It is an event that starts a war between all players. In the text area it says "Basic Characters get +1 Attack, +1 Speed, +1 Shield". Question...are those bonuses in effect for all players for that single battle or is that a permanent special ability for the rest of the game for only the player winning the card? Another example is the Stone Of Gol event card which seems like it must be an ability that you can use only after you have 3 of them in your points area. So does that mean that Border Incursion works the same way (i.e. only get the bonuses after it is in your points area?). I never know when that text is effective and appreciate the help. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Cassens
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mb
Text is only effective the turn that the event comes into play. some missions have ongoing effects after they are flipped, but those end after someone scores the mission or it is otherwise removed from play. The stones of gol and other hidden items are handled differently, but even their ability, when triggered, only lasts that turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Artl
United States
New Berlin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jacob, I appreciate the response! So the Border Incursion bonuses work for all players in the current war only and then they are gone, and the Stone of Gol ability can be used later in the game but only once. Unfortunately, there are other cards that I have come across that don't seem to follow any set rule.

How about Exocomp? The goal is 2+ characters with 1+ diplomacy each...reward seems to be +2 shield for your flagship and the ability to remove 2 damage from your flagship once during your turn. It doesn't seem like this makes sense to use immediately?!?

How about the Phase Cloaking Device? The goal is 6+ speed and 4+ diplomacy...reward is +5 defense to your flagship. This must be permanent right?

There are others, mainly starship abilities that seem like they would last after acquisition. I hope some of this makes sense, at least more sense than I seem to be able to make of it. Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Cassens
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mb
If you look at those missions, they both say "item" on the little bar in between the picture and the text.

Those missions are handled differently and remain in effect. I apologize about my lack of explication on that, that is one of those missions that is handled differently. There are several: Stone of Gol, Iconian Gateway, etc.

I'm not really sure where it gets explained now that I think about it, but items are described somewhere. I'll do some research and see what I can find for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Cassens
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mb
There are other cards that trigger off of Item cards in the decks as well.

So going through the cards:

Ship Jacking - specifically states it remains in effect for the rest of the game

Thought Maker - Item - but effect does not stay in play except that it remains hidden, which means it could be confused for Stones of Gol or DNA Fragment.

Exocomp - Item - So long as you have this in your points area +2 Shield

Phase Cloaking Device - Item - So long as you have this in your points are +5 Defense

Iconian Gateway - Item - only goes off when received, but again stays hidden

DNA Fragments - Items - 1-3 only have the immediate reward, then they become hidden. 4 has the phrase "at any time" and can be used as such.

Stones of Gol - One time effect that can be gained by revealing all three stones once you have the card with the effect.

That should answer your questions. There were several discussions about these on the Bandai forums, and a couple of them got carried over to here as well. It's worth the time to read through all the questions on this game's forum

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Artl
United States
New Berlin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again Jacob! I thought that I had scoured the entire rules forum for this game but I will run thru it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Artl
United States
New Berlin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny (or maybe not) but I went to the Bandai website and opened the Version 2.0 copy of the rules (not trusting my eyes with the hard copy rules), did a find on the word "item" and got no hits at all so it is certainly not addressed in the official rules. I'm just hoping to find some consistent method for knowing how to handle different cards/keywords/triggers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Cassens
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mb
In the case of missions, you'll notice that cards have the reward text immediately following the term reward. Those are the effects that last that turn only. The cards that have longer term effects will be listed n their own line. As for the other hidden cards, that is addressed (sort of) in the rules. The item keyword also triggers off of other cards that specifically work with item cards.

As for the rules,... Yeah they have issues, but the game works pretty intuitively after you get all this stuff down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Artl
United States
New Berlin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacovis wrote:
As for the rules,... Yeah they have issues, but the game works pretty intuitively after you get all this stuff down.

Well, no doubt that I am really liking the game. I've picked up all 3 sets and it has really fired up my interest in the TV shows. Thanks again for your help and patience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Cassens
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mb
Anytime! I really enjoy this game a lot. If you haven't done so, I recommend checking out TOS version of this game. It is a great version of this, even though I like both of them for different reasons.

During the last couple of years I rewatched all of the shows in order of airing, on Netflix. It was an awesome experience. TOS, The cartoon, The original movies, TNG, TNG Movies, DS9, Voyager. It was a blast, and I'm very tempted to do it again!

All Best,

Jacob

Biker1999 wrote:
Jacovis wrote:

Well, no doubt that I am really liking the game. I've picked up all 3 sets and it has really fired up my interest in the TV shows. Thanks again for your help and patience!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.