Battlestar Galactica» Forums » Variants

Subject: Shouldn't we be refreshing the destiny deck frequently? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Cook
United States
California
flag msg tools
I'm card counting frequently when it comes to the destiny deck. By the time we're 75% through with the deck, I can tell you with good confidence what the destiny deck is likely to be or cannot be, without writing any of this down.

Is this a good thing? Shouldn't we be refreshing the destiny deck every three skill checks instead of waiting for it to run out?

Here's how I propose we handle the destiny deck:

-Make the first destiny deck out of the starter 12 skill cards (10+2 treachery)
-Cut the destiny deck in half, leaving only 6 in, and leave the other destiny deck to the side, as half of the next destiny deck.
-Use the 6 destiny cards normally. When you're out, add only 1 of each skill card to that next destiny deck to make a new destiny deck of 12 cards again, shuffle it, and once again, cut it in half to refill your new destiny deck to only 6.

This eliminates card counting and even keeps you guessing of what's in the destiny deck at all times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRonimo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Shouldn't this be under Variants?

But also.. if you are so good at card-counting Destiny, then your Cylons need to do a better job of spiking checks and spreading doubt.

Also, I think your variant makes things like Leoben's ability weaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "standard" anti-card counting destiny variant around is to use 3 of each type for the initial deck, and add 2 of each type whenever you get down to 1/3 of the original deck - so without Treachery, you start with 15 cards, then, 5 checks later, when you would be rebuilding an empty deck by the original rules, instead you add those 10 new cards to the remaining 5 cards and continue from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
rmsgrey wrote:
The "standard" anti-card counting destiny variant around is to use 3 of each type for the initial deck, and add 2 of each type whenever you get down to 1/3 of the original deck - so without Treachery, you start with 15 cards, then, 5 checks later, when you would be rebuilding an empty deck by the original rules, instead you add those 10 new cards to the remaining 5 cards and continue from there.

Basically the same thing, but I find it better to remove those 5 cards and put to one side, so you can see that destiny has run out, and add 10 new cards to the put aside pile, shuffle, put 5 aside again and put 10 on destiny.

I haven't played a game with the original destiny rules in a long time. No one even attempts to figure out destiny anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kamakaze wrote:
rmsgrey wrote:

Basically the same thing, but I find it better to remove those 5 cards and put to one side, so you can see that destiny has run out, and add 10 new cards to the put aside pile, shuffle, put 5 aside again and put 10 on destiny.

I haven't played a game with the original destiny rules in a long time. No one even attempts to figure out destiny anymore.

Yeah, marking the point at which to rebuild somehow is a good idea, whether it's by putting a strip of paper or something between 10th and 11th cards, or by setting aside the appropriate number of cards as a separate seed for the next Destiny.

The one problem with rebuilding Destiny before it empties is that you then need special rulings to cover the Pegasus card that rebuilds Destiny as pure Treachery (the obvious minimal solution is to keep the seed and use it to rebuild the new Destiny once the treachery runs out)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hencook wrote:
I'm card counting frequently when it comes to the destiny deck. By the time we're 75% through with the deck, I can tell you with good confidence what the destiny deck is likely to be or cannot be, without writing any of this down.

Is this a good thing? Shouldn't we be refreshing the destiny deck every three skill checks instead of waiting for it to run out?

Here's how I propose we handle the destiny deck:

-Make the first destiny deck out of the starter 12 skill cards (10+2 treachery)
-Cut the destiny deck in half, leaving only 6 in, and leave the other destiny deck to the side, as half of the next destiny deck.
-Use the 6 destiny cards normally. When you're out, add only 1 of each skill card to that next destiny deck to make a new destiny deck of 12 cards again, shuffle it, and once again, cut it in half to refill your new destiny deck to only 6.

This eliminates card counting and even keeps you guessing of what's in the destiny deck at all times.

Having to reshuffle Destiny is enough of a hassle that we won't do this. For our groups, we've found that no1 has been that good at card counting the Destiny anyways. More often than not, enough cards get put in that it's hard to know what was in Destiny on more than 1 skill check.

rmsgrey wrote:
"Complex Destiny" variant ain't bad, but I'm worried in a 6p or 7p game, we'll really run low on cards. I guess it's not the worst thing to happen, as some players will just draw short on their colors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 8 27 Feb - 1 Mar 2015 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk Essex Games 27 Jul '15
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Card counting the destiny deck (or trying to) is a feature, not a bug.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think the destiny is supposed to be unknown.

It's what I atleast iniatially considered the most viable source of trying to figure out who's a Cylon. If you don't know what cards goes into that deck that of course become much harder.

Most people aren't just all that good at keeping track as you are. Though I guess it would be a good brain exercise trying to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.