Popular Tags: [View All]
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
So I know I've read about this before when I first arrived on BGG but what's up with all the cleavage in the Geek images? Unless the photo was of someone's mother, I had to get to page 7 before finding photos featuring normally dressed women. And if that wasn't silly enough, the photos WITH cleavage are so demure, it makes me think you guys are all seriously starving for boobage laugh. I know, it's really about more scandalous photos being rejected. Just poking fun. I don't usually browse the images so I hadn't noticed the overwhelming level of testosterone here until now, war gaming forums aside . I think I need to start posting some beef cake gaming photos to tip the balance laugh. Well, of course, you ladies would have to do some serious thumbing for that to happen.

EDIT: For those of you who are going to skim past all the other responses and miss my fuller explanation, this post NOT a complaint. I am merely chuckling over how little it takes to engage many men's attention. As a woman, Kingdom Death: Monster makes SO much more sense now. Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
Life is too short to be angry all the time. Smile and enjoy the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
You have poop as a micro badge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McQ
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
This website is mainly populated by men.
Most of the men here are between 20-35.
Single men of that group particularly enjoy photos of the fairer sex.
Sex sells.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
ravager wrote:
You have poop as a micro badge.

And your point is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Heliconia wrote:
This website is mainly populated by men.
Most of the men here are between 20-35.
Single men of that group particularly enjoy photos of the fairer sex.
Sex sells.

Yes, I know. It is an achingly predictable reality. Slap boobs on anything and you've got a success. It's Pavlovian, really. Do you think it's only the boobs or does the fact they are adorning a lovely female GAMER add anything at all to the fantasy of being able to bring together these two great passions?
Nah!! It's just the boobs.

Sadly, only one picture of a cat, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
See my profile to find out what technology has already been fed and added to K-9.
badge
Hard drive is spinning up... WEEEEEEEEEE!
mbmbmbmbmb
quirogal wrote:
I think I need to start posting some beef cake gaming photos to tip the balance laugh. Well, of course, you ladies would have to do some serious thumbing for that to happen.

Don't wait to take your microbadge stance on the subject...

mb vs. mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goes a bit deeper than just cleavage....

Busen Memo is on about 1,730 Geeklists. I'd guess that this "game" is on the most Geeklists of all games in the database.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M T
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
That's because this is a website, which also has a geeky nature, which are usually full of immature men.
It's really a disservice to the boardgame community because it enforces the stereotype of misogynistic gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony DuLac
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nah, it just means that some folks like looking at an attractive female or body part, I think.

I see no harm in it IF the person being photographed was cool with it. I say live and let live.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Bullseye
United States
Brownsburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
herace wrote:

Busen Memo is on about 1,730 Geeklists. I'd guess that this "game" is on the most Geeklists of all games in the database.

Do you even understand how Geeklists work? You add items that are relevant to the Geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Top Images 2012

Not seeing it myself
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Carter
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
quirogal wrote:
...Unless the photo was of someone's mother, I had to get to page 7 before finding photos featuring normally dressed women....

What game was that? I have never come across such a thing. Or is that just gross overstatement to make your point?

Few games have such shots and even the more "famous" ones (Magic the Gathering) there are only one or two. What cleavage images there are are pretty meek from a prurient interest point of view. Gamer pron is rare, anemic and yet... enjoyable.

Personally I am disappointed that there has not been a nice cleavage shot for the Star Wars miniatures game. Leaning over a table to move your ship, what an opportunity. Pitch Car does so much better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mb
Bounder wrote:
quirogal wrote:
...Unless the photo was of someone's mother, I had to get to page 7 before finding photos featuring normally dressed women....

What game was that? I have never come across such a thing. Or is that just gross overstatement to make your point?

Yeah, I'm kinda curious about your search parameters as well. When I sort the images by "People" and look at the most popular ones, this is the first image:

An excellent photo of a customized piece for a new game. A woman in the photo, sure, but she's "normally dressed".

I think you were trying to exaggerate to prove a point, but it's lost on me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
NBAfan wrote:
That's because this is a website, which also has a geeky nature, which are usually full of immature men.
It's really a disservice to the boardgame community because it enforces the stereotype of misogynistic gamers.

Well you're reinforcing the stereotype of people who don't have a dictionary.

But okay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KnobDoctor wrote:
herace wrote:

Do you even understand how Geeklists work? You add items that are relevant to the Geeklist.

KnobDoctor - Yes, I do know how Geeklists work. I have created 22.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KnobDoctor wrote:

You'd really not seen the Busen Memo running joke?

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tania Pouli
France
Cesson-Sévigné
Ille et Vilaine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NBAfan wrote:
...it enforces the stereotype of misogynistic gamers.

Given that the cleavage-related images are taken, uploaded and promoted presumably because people like it, I'm not sure how it's misogynistic. Objectifying perhaps, but misogynistic?

It's just some photos on the internet, anyway. Assuming the people in the shots agreed to being photographed and to their photo being online, I don't really see the issue. It's not as if someone liking a photo of cleavage immediately thinks of the depicted girl as 'meat', existing only for their benefit and desire. (Or if it does mean that, then I'd rather stick with my naive world view.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I don't understand is that you seem to be complaining both that there are lots of pictures with cleavage on BGG, and that those pictures don't show enough cleavage. From my standpoint, these two complaints seem to be mutually exclusive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
rdonato926 wrote:
Bounder wrote:
quirogal wrote:

Yeah, I'm kinda curious about your search parameters as well. When I sort the images by "People" and look at the most popular ones, this is the first image:

An excellent photo of a customized piece for a new game. A woman in the photo, sure, but she's "normally dressed".

I think you were trying to exaggerate to prove a point, but it's lost on me.

Seriously. You are over-thinking this. Go to the homepage, scroll down to Images and click on "Browse". You'll find the most popular images sorted by thumbs given, most to least popular. Go page by page until you find a woman who is not a mother and not showing cleavage. NOW, I'm human and subject to error, but if there was one prior to page 7, I missed it. The purpose of my post was light-hearted fun. Men will be men and I am fine with that. What I found particularly amusing though is that all the OTHER photos are really clever, creative stuff...quite enjoyable to browse through, with this sprinkling of everyday regular girls holding cards or rules and showing a teeny bit of cleavage. It's nothing racy by any means but also, not clever or striking in any photographic sense. Not really a big deal. Yes. I know all about men being more visually wired than women, blah, blah, blah. These images are also the most popular of all BGG time, it seems. Therefore, they would not show up in a "best of 20__" list. In defense of the high number of thumbs, given that they have accumulated over years, it's natural to see that these images would float to the top. However, I love the reasoning that "if I can't find these images then you must be exaggerating." laugh I know. You all were just rankled that I taunted you with the prospect of seeing lots of demure cleavage and then you couldn't find those images. cry My bad. I should've posted how these images came up.

Lighten up. Laugh at yourselves occasionally. I have poop for a micro badge and I got called out on it. I'm laughing. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
spartax wrote:
What I don't understand is that you seem to be complaining both that there are lots of pictures with cleavage on BGG, and that those pictures don't show enough cleavage. From my standpoint, these two complaints seem to be mutually exclusive.

Go look up "complain" dear and then see if you find one in my OP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
lbtori wrote:
NBAfan wrote:
...it enforces the stereotype of misogynistic gamers.

Given that the cleavage-related images are taken, uploaded and promoted presumably because people like it, I'm not sure how it's misogynistic. Objectifying perhaps, but misogynistic?

It's just some photos on the internet, anyway. Assuming the people in the shots agreed to being photographed and to their photo being online, I don't really see the issue. It's not as if someone liking a photo of cleavage immediately thinks of the depicted girl as 'meat', existing only for their benefit and desire. (Or if it does mean that, then I'd rather stick with my naive world view.)

I have to agree that these photos are in NO WAY misogynistic. We've all seen those type of photos elsewhere (NOT ON BGG) and these are definitely not in that category. Not that I think BGG would be immune to it if the moderators allowed it but since that is not the case, no issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trace
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Although this discussion will never be resolved, I really dont mind if there are pics of women with cleavage or not, its how most women look.

I have a few points to to bring up, these are truths of BGG.

1; Most of the BGGers are men.

2; most are in groups [ or have informal game time with friends] these may or may not include women in them.

3; many of the men would like a partner that shared their hobby.

I believe that on the whole the men of BGG would not upload a pic that was inappropriate nor without permission, these are men with mothers/sisters/wives/lovers/girlfriends/daughters/partners and friends whose relationships they value.
Men can act like adorable 12 year olds at the mention of boobs but they are far from stupid.

OH and one more thing it is not my place to judge what another woman deems as appropriate to wear while gaming.

although I have spent the day in my bathers [swimsuit] as its 40 degrees Celsius here [103F I think!!]. I have no air conditioning and we played games after going to the beach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
quirogal wrote:
So I know I've read about this before when I first arrived on BGG but what's up with all the cleavage in the Geek images? Unless the photo was of someone's mother, I had to get to page 7 before finding photos featuring normally dressed women. And if that wasn't silly enough, the photos WITH cleavage are so demure, it makes me think you guys are all seriously starving for boobage laugh. I know, it's really about more scandalous photos being rejected. Just poking fun. I don't usually browse the images so I hadn't noticed the overwhelming level of testosterone here until now, war gaming forums aside . I think I need to start posting some beef cake gaming photos to tip the balance laugh. Well, of course, you ladies would have to do some serious thumbing for that to happen.

thumbsup thumbsup

I like your style.

My wife, who's just a lurker here on BGG, would like just walked in and started reading over my shoulder and says she likes your attitude and approach here, too.

Too many of these threads (whether they are about women, or even just about "offensive" terms) just make me shake my head. I'm not sure I've ever seen the word "misogyny" used sensibly on BGG.

Oh, and have some bag for putting yourself out there on this one.

EDIT: And, to some of you who replied... SHEESH, how many smilies does she have to use for you to believe she really is "just poking fun"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Joose wrote:

Although this discussion will never be resolved, I really dont mind if there are pics of women with cleavage or not, its how most women look.

I have a few points to to bring up, these are truths of BGG.

1; Most of the BGGers are men.

2; most are in groups [ or have informal game time with friends] these may or may not include women in them.

3; many of the men would like a partner that shared their hobby.

I believe that on the whole the men of BGG would not upload a pic that was inappropriate nor without permission, these are men with mothers/sisters/wives/lovers/girlfriends/daughters/partners and friends whose relationships they value.
Men can act like adorable 12 year olds at the mention of boobs but they are far from stupid.

OH and one more thing it is not my place to judge what another woman deems as appropriate to wear while gaming.

although I have spent the day in my bathers [swimsuit] as its 40 degrees Celsius here [103F I think!!]. I have no air conditioning and we played games after going to the beach.

All good points. Nothing to resolve IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.