United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
DigitalMan wrote:
quirogal wrote:
So I know I've read about this before when I first arrived on BGG but what's up with all the cleavage in the Geek images? Unless the photo was of someone's mother, I had to get to page 7 before finding photos featuring normally dressed women. And if that wasn't silly enough, the photos WITH cleavage are so demure, it makes me think you guys are all seriously starving for boobage laugh. I know, it's really about more scandalous photos being rejected. Just poking fun. I don't usually browse the images so I hadn't noticed the overwhelming level of testosterone here until now, war gaming forums aside . I think I need to start posting some beef cake gaming photos to tip the balance laugh. Well, of course, you ladies would have to do some serious thumbing for that to happen.

thumbsup thumbsup

I like your style.

My wife, who's just a lurker here on BGG, would like just walked in and started reading over my shoulder and says she likes your attitude and approach here, too.

Too many of these threads (whether they are about women, or even just about "offensive" terms) just make me shake my head. I'm not sure I've ever seen the word "misogyny" used sensibly on BGG.

Oh, and have some bag for putting yourself out there on this one.

EDIT: And, to some of you who replied... SHEESH, how many smilies does she have to use for you to believe she really is "just poking fun"?

Thanks so much for getting the humor of my intent! I understand the knee jerk defensiveness of a lot of responses. There have been so many genuine complaints about this sort of thing and it's easy to forget that women LOVE men. I even MARRIED one!! I think I find the endless threads about "what games can I play with my wife/girlfriend" more tiresome than cleavage photos. They are necessary and I applaud these men for trying to get their SO into the hobby and the game suggestions are understandably for simpler, non-threatening games...but it irks just a little bit to think some MIGHT think MOST women NEED lightweight games. It's not been said but I have a tiny suspicion. I am obviously biased as a woman gamer so maybe there is more truth to this than I care to admit. I can't speak for regular women. However, none of this really garners much of my attention. Just passing thoughts.

I love your wife too for sharing in the humor . thumbsupthumbsupfor her!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
Portugal
flag msg tools
Check my profile to learn more about these...
badge
I'm thinking of something intelligent to say... this may take a while!
mbmbmbmbmb
ravager wrote:
You have poop as a micro badge.

Yes, but no cleavage!

Please refer your comment to the thread "Geek images and poop"
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pfrsantos wrote:
ravager wrote:
You have poop as a micro badge.

Yes, but no cleavage!

Please refer your comment to the thread "Geek images and poop"
cool

I don't have a problem with cleavage or poop. It's where the two are combined that I draw the line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Christiansen
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
mb
quirogal wrote:
I think I find the endless threads about "what games can I play with my wife/girlfriend" more tiresome than cleavage photos. They are necessary and I applaud these men for trying to get their SO into the hobby and the game suggestions are understandably for simpler, non-threatening games...but it irks just a little bit to think some MIGHT think MOST women NEED lightweight games. It's not been said but I have a tiny suspicion. I am obviously biased as a woman gamer so maybe there is more truth to this than I care to admit. I can't speak for regular women. However, none of this really garners much of my attention. Just passing thoughts.

I don't think this one is so much about gender, as simply easing non gamers into the hobby. I picked Carcassonne to teach my father and mother they're first real boardgame. Really I would bet that there are so many "what game for my SO?" threads because people want to expand the hobby to the person they spend the most time with. Lucky me, my girl likes some very non stereotypical stuff, she was way into us getting Gears of War: The Board Game.

As far as the cleavage goes, never noticed. I tend to skip over the photos where you can see people, it is the game I want to see heh. But hey, if you want to beef it up go for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am on a Journey...
Australia
Lavington
New South Wales
flag msg tools
...to explore and discover games of all shapes and sizes regardless of colour, condition or creed
mbmbmbmbmb
quirogal wrote:
Heliconia wrote:
This website is mainly populated by men.
Most of the men here are between 20-35.
Single men of that group particularly enjoy photos of the fairer sex.
Sex sells.

Yes, I know. It is an achingly predictable reality. Slap boobs on anything and you've got a success. It's Pavlovian, really. Do you think it's only the boobs or does the fact they are adorning a lovely female GAMER add anything at all to the fantasy of being able to bring together these two great passions?
Nah!! It's just the boobs.

Sadly, only one picture of a cat, I think.

Yeah but slap boobs on a cat and looooooook out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Thomson wrote:
quirogal wrote:
Heliconia wrote:
This website is mainly populated by men.
Most of the men here are between 20-35.
Single men of that group particularly enjoy photos of the fairer sex.
Sex sells.

Yes, I know. It is an achingly predictable reality. Slap boobs on anything and you've got a success. It's Pavlovian, really. Do you think it's only the boobs or does the fact they are adorning a lovely female GAMER add anything at all to the fantasy of being able to bring together these two great passions?
Nah!! It's just the boobs.

Sadly, only one picture of a cat, I think.

Yeah but slap boobs on a cat and looooooook out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Gwazdosky
United States
Clinton
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbacon

There. All the men reading this just stopped thinking about cleavage for 1.6 seconds. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Roop
United States
Three Rivers
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't blame me!! I've tried to submit my photos, but the mods keep rejecting them from the Game category....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, "Phineas" "Tolstoy"
United States
Mount Holly (Gastonia / Charlotte)
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That last pic sorta reminds me of an old episode of All in the Family.
Gloria was helping Archie in the bar, waiting tables.
He warned her not to bend over when putting the items on the tables.
She laid her hand just under her neck, pointing out her very high collar, and said, "Daddy, I'm not showing any cleavage."
Archie said, "Yeah, but you're showin' a little cloevage down there," pointing to the rear of her very short skirt.

Still makes me laugh thinking about it.

Hmmm. Might need to post Gloria from All in the Family over here:
[TV] He Ain't a Hunk/She Ain't a Supermodel--But Admit It, You Had a "Thing" for...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
ReignsEternal wrote:
Don't blame me!! I've tried to submit my photos, but the mods keep rejecting them from the Game category....

Oh my god, that is too funny! laugh You read my mind. I was going to suggest someone submit some butt photos to balance out the boobs but it was harder to imagine how that would work out. But low and behold, someone figured it out. Is that real or shopped? That's some crazy butt. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
SomewhatDamaged wrote:
quirogal wrote:
I think I find the endless threads about "what games can I play with my wife/girlfriend" more tiresome than cleavage photos. They are necessary and I applaud these men for trying to get their SO into the hobby and the game suggestions are understandably for simpler, non-threatening games...but it irks just a little bit to think some MIGHT think MOST women NEED lightweight games. It's not been said but I have a tiny suspicion. I am obviously biased as a woman gamer so maybe there is more truth to this than I care to admit. I can't speak for regular women. However, none of this really garners much of my attention. Just passing thoughts.

I don't think this one is so much about gender, as simply easing non gamers into the hobby. I picked Carcassonne to teach my father and mother they're first real boardgame. Really I would bet that there are so many "what game for my SO?" threads because people want to expand the hobby to the person they spend the most time with. Lucky me, my girl likes some very non stereotypical stuff, she was way into us getting Gears of War: The Board Game.

As far as the cleavage goes, never noticed. I tend to skip over the photos where you can see people, it is the game I want to see heh. But hey, if you want to beef it up go for it!

Yeah, lucky you!! I'm always happy to hear about women who defy the expectations of what games she'll play.

I'm trying to talk my husband into posing for a photo, probably a parody of one of the most popular cleavage shots . He gets final approval and he's a little hesitant but I haven't shown him what I have in mind. Won't be near as popular but it might be worth a chuckle laugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Roop
United States
Three Rivers
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The butt is real..
The game is spectacular...

I took a side shot of Antiquity and ran it through paint.net.

Oh, and I love your thread!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
ReignsEternal wrote:
The butt is real..
The game is spectacular...

I took a side shot of Antiquity and ran it through paint.net.

Oh, and I love your thread!

Oh, thanks. It's low brow but it's been pretty entertaining. I've gotten a lot of good laughs. My husband just busted a gut over the poop and boobs comment laugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
quirogal wrote:
Go page by page until you find a woman who is not a mother and not showing cleavage.

While I get that this is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, I did as you suggested and came up with this:

That was on page one.

I believe I correctly did as you suggested with Images>Browse, but I could be mistaken.
When I choose Browse from the Images box it takes me to the URL: http://boardgamegeek.com/images/boardgame/all?sort=hot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
That picture has a comment with 780 thumbs, that's just insane.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some more "hot images" from pages 1 - 6:

Oh, and this made it up to page 8, with 430 thumbsup

Caption: "Perfect opportunity for cleavage? DENIED!"
I love the stories told and the humour in many photos, which are at least as much appreciated here on BGG as some cleavage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Manning
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
err... I like boardgames!?!
badge
D'oh! I bought overtext even though I have nothing interesting to say.
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, I once posted a picture of my wife playing Space Hulk while wearing the same sort of clothes she wears every day. It never occurred to either of us that she wasn't dressed "normally" as some put it. Nevertheless, the photo garnered 175 thumbs, in part no doubt to the discussion about my wife's boobs, which both she and I were somewhat perplexed by. We've since figured that certain geographic regions within the USA (notably the South, and the New England area), though less conservative than some Islamic countries with regards to what women wear, are nevertheless more conservative than most of the East Coast, Europe, and English-speaking Oceania.

This being the internet, people from all over the world can contribute, and they have differing cultural standards to your own. Things that seem strange to one person may be things others hardly notice. For example: I never thought twice about the drive-through liquor stores and bright pink neon-lighted sex shops in Adelaide until a Texan pointed out to me that no such things existed where he lived. Of course, I was horrified when I learned that at home he liked to (and could legally) carry a concealed firearm, so it's not like any one of us is more or less normal than the other.

It's easy to blame the so-called "pervs" who thumb the pictures, or to blame it on a male-dominated hobby, but I'm not sure that's entirely the case. There's certainly an element of that, but often, I feel like the discussion around boobies is as much about the nervous reaction of someone seeing something they're not used to in their own culture than it is about being lecherous. This being a game site, I tend to try and stick to discussing games, and leave the gossiping about what people are (or aren't wearing) to sites like TMZ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smurf-o-Deth
United States
Brownsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Middlesboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ludopoly wrote:
For what it's worth, I once posted a picture of my wife playing Space Hulk while wearing the same sort of clothes she wears every day. It never occurred to either of us that she wasn't dressed "normally" as some put it. Nevertheless, the photo garnered 175 thumbs, in part no doubt to the discussion about my wife's boobs, which both she and I were somewhat perplexed by. We've since figured that certain geographic regions within the USA (notably the South, and the New England area), though less conservative than some Islamic countries with regards to what women wear, are nevertheless more conservative than most of the East Coast, Europe, and English-speaking Oceania.

This being the internet, people from all over the world can contribute, and they have differing cultural standards to your own. Things that seem strange to one person may be things others hardly notice. For example: I never thought twice about the drive-through liquor stores and bright pink neon-lighted sex shops in Adelaide until a Texan pointed out to me that no such things existed where he lived. Of course, I was horrified when I learned that at home he liked to (and could legally) carry a concealed firearm, so it's not like any one of us is more or less normal than the other.

It's easy to blame the so-called "pervs" who thumb the pictures, or to blame it on a male-dominated hobby, but I'm not sure that's entirely the case. There's certainly an element of that, but often, I feel like the discussion around boobies is as much about the nervous reaction of someone seeing something they're not used to in their own culture than it is about being lecherous. This being a game site, I tend to try and stick to discussing games, and leave the gossiping about what people are (or aren't wearing) to sites like TMZ.

Well, I'm just gonna say it: I totally went to your profile specifically to look at your wife's boobs. Are you happy now!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very simple.

Boardgames are great.
Boobs are great.

Put them together, and you've discovered the chocolate + peanut butter of the male geek world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Christiansen
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you.
mb
cbs42 wrote:
It's very simple.

Boardgames are great.
Boobs are great.

Put them together, and you've discovered the chocolate + peanut butter of the male geek world.

Wow, I swear that is almost zen like in its simplicity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyphy wrote:
quirogal wrote:
Go page by page until you find a woman who is not a mother and not showing cleavage.

While I get that this is somewhat tongue-in-cheek, I did as you suggested and came up with this:

That was on page one.

I believe I correctly did as you suggested with Images>Browse, but I could be mistaken.
When I choose Browse from the Images box it takes me to the URL: http://boardgamegeek.com/images/boardgame/all?sort=hot

Oh, that's a great set of photos, no? Did you see the others in that series?

But yes, I know. I went back to show my husband an image to parody and saw that and noticed the things I missed myself. So, I guess that means that even as a woman, I notice cleavage more too, however slight. laugh I guess the difference is that I would never be compelled to thumb the images.

Like I said, this is just a FUN thread. In that regard, I think I should be forgiven for my oversights. I did admit that I may have overlooked some images but I DID NOT think it was important enough to go back and check. Let the public flogging begin!!! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
duchamp wrote:
Some more "hot images" from pages 1 - 6:

Oh, and this made it up to page 8, with 430 thumbsup

Caption: "Perfect opportunity for cleavage? DENIED!"
I love the stories told and the humour in many photos, which are at least as much appreciated here on BGG as some cleavage.

I know! I know! But group shots don't count anyway. My eyes just sorta glaze over when I see them and men are experts at that whole glazing over thing ( or at least my husband islaugh).

I evidently have much more to answer for than my poop microbadge. laugh My oversights were not intentional and my post was impulsive. But I'm glad people are enjoying some laughs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ms. Shug
United States
Round Rock
TX
flag msg tools
Got my eye on you!
mbmbmbmbmb
ludopoly wrote:

That's a very thoughtful response. For the record, I referred to "normal" clothing but I only meant non-cleavage revealing. I never explained so I understand the ambiguity. That's a really funny observation about regional differences in conservatism and largely true. Though, I find they still partake as much in smut, they just lie a little more loudly. I had to call bullshit on two things in your post. #1-your friend from Texas is a liar or he lives out in Big Bend, our most remote national park. I live in Texas and we have PLENTY of sex shops and titty bars, and a thriving prostitute business that is apparent to anyone who has ever worked the night shift in a hotel. I don't think we have MORE than other places but we are not innocent by any means.

Oh, and I'm not calling bullshit on anything else (don't know why I thought I had a second thing) but I don't think most of the thumbers are "pervs". Some might be? Who knows? My husband and I were talking about this last night and it really is just a natural difference between men and women. I see this entire "discovery" as a great example of exactly how sensitive men are to visual triggers. I MIGHT notice the same things but they'll have little to no effect. I just find it interesting to have this little window into these differences and hopefully I understand men a little better because of it.

Now, back to my flogging!! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Gwazdosky
United States
Clinton
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlett_O wrote:
ludopoly wrote:
For what it's worth, I once posted a picture of my wife playing Space Hulk while wearing the same sort of clothes she wears every day. It never occurred to either of us that she wasn't dressed "normally" as some put it. Nevertheless, the photo garnered 175 thumbs, in part no doubt to the discussion about my wife's boobs, which both she and I were somewhat perplexed by.

Well, I'm just gonna say it: I totally went to your profile specifically to look at your wife's boobs. Are you happy now!?

I went to his profile strictly to look at his game collection. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.