The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Damrod? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shelfwear
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just had to think about Damrod (Unique Spirit Ranger from HoN) and I'm not sure if his ability is worth using? He feels weaker than Elfehlm, Northern Tracker or Faramir and his ability makes you sacrifice a 4 cost ally and you wont get more benefit from it than for example the 0 cost card Elronds Council. And in case that there are more than 3 enemies in play you usually want as many allies for attack/defense as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Hegerfeld
msg tools
mbmb
Yes, for solo play that is certainly true. He may be worthwhile in 2 player games and certainly in 3 or 4 player games. Though it obviously also depends to some extent on the quest, as you will not face a lot of enemies in some of them. In any case he seems very situational and I would see few reasons to include him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Martin
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of this card and haven't included it in my decks so far. You hit the nail on the head, as you're essentially paying 4 resources to lower your threat by 3, 4, 5, 6 at most? As you said, might as well pay less for Elrond's Counsel or The Galadhrim's Greeting to do the same thing.
If his ability was to lower threat by all enemies in play, he would be a bit more useful, but how often are you going to let the staging area clog up with enough enemies to justify the cost of this card?

But just for the hell of it, I'll try to make some kind of argument for inclusion. For that cost of 4, you not only get the effect, but an ally you can use for other purposes until you need the threat reduction. His base stats are roughly equivalent to Northern Tracker (1,2,2,2), so he gives you a bit more attack and defense than most Spirit allies. Also, he is Gondor, so if there is a Leadership Boromir in play, Damrod would have an attack of 3, which would be the highest in the entire Spirit sphere when it comes to allies. If you are playing a mono-Spirit deck, Damrod might give you some needed attack strength. Also, I'm hoping that more cards come out that play with the Ranger trait, which might up his utility as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek A. K.
United States
flag msg tools
Raven1015 wrote:
If you are playing a mono-Spirit deck, Damrod might give you some needed attack strength. Also, I'm hoping that more cards come out that play with the Ranger trait, which might up his utility as well.

This. I really want to like him, (badass art at least) he's just tough to love right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.