Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thalin: Deal 1 damage to each enemy as it is revealed from the encounter deck

Cave Torch: Discard the top card of the encounter deck. If it is an enemy, add it to the staging area (Other cards have a similar type wording of discard/add)

Am I correct in thinking that Thalin's ability will not damage any enemies that come in to play via the Cave Torch?

Related issue: Does a When Revealed effect on an enemy occur when that enemy enters play via the Cave Torch? (That enemy has been discarded and then added.)

thanks,
-TR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrei Ivanesei
Romania
Bucuresti
flag msg tools
I should buy less games
badge
Stop looking at my avatar!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the text on Thalin:

"While Thalin is committed to a quest, deal 1 damage to each enemy as it is revealed by the encounter deck".

His ability only applies during the quest phase. If after that, enemies are added to the staging area, his ability wont come into effect. So if you use cave torch during the third phase, as described in the manual (last 2-3 pages), his ability will work. If you use it after, it wont.

You may wanna take a look at this turn sequence player aid, it's really useful until you familiarize yourself with the phases:
http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/75448/lotr-turn-sequence-a...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Onkel Zorni
Germany
Norden
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the problem is here, that the torch effect makes you to discard the top card and eventually add it to the staging area. it is not stated, that those cards have to be revealed so thalins ability won't trigger during questing phase, though I must admit that I'm not aware if there are official rulings or FAQ items, that adressed this problem

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am aware that Thalin's ability only happens in the quest phase. That has nothing to do with my question. I am assuming that Cave Torch is being used during the quest phase.

My question has to do with the wording. Cave Torch is "Discard/Add". Thalin is "revealed from the encounter deck." I think Thalin's ability does not trigger. Am I correct?

In a similar situation, I'm thinking that if Cave Torch discards/adds a Goblin Follower (When Revealed:...engages the last player), that the Follower will stay in the staging area. (GF is not being revealed.) Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tubarush wrote:
My question has to do with the wording. Cave Torch is "Discard/Add". Thalin is "revealed from the encounter deck." I think Thalin's ability does not trigger. Am I correct?

In a similar situation, I'm thinking that if Cave Torch discards/adds a Goblin Follower (When Revealed:...engages the last player), that the Follower will stay in the staging area. (GF is not being revealed.) Is this correct?

I think you're correct on both counts - Cave Torch goes to a whole lot of trouble in its wording to avoid using the word "reveal".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jurgen Koller
Australia
Cherrybrook
NSW
flag msg tools
Great Underground Empire
badge
Explorer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tubarush wrote:
Thalin: Deal 1 damage to each enemy as it is revealed from the encounter deck

Cave Torch: Discard the top card of the encounter deck. If it is an enemy, add it to the staging area (Other cards have a similar type wording of discard/add)

Am I correct in thinking that Thalin's ability will not damage any enemies that come in to play via the Cave Torch?

Correct. FAQ 1.3 states the following:

(1.22) “When Revealed” Effects
A card is only considered to be revealed if the card or game effect causing the card to enter play specifically uses a form of the word “reveal”.

Therefore, Thalin's ability only triggers when enemies are revealed from the encounter deck.

Tubarush wrote:
Related issue: Does a When Revealed effect on an enemy occur when that enemy enters play via the Cave Torch? (That enemy has been discarded and then added.)

As a result, the answer to this is no as the keyword revealed was not used on Cave Torch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mue makan
msg tools
Cards that are "added" to the staging area are not revealed. Thalin does not work. Also to consider: "when revealed" effects on cards that are added to the staging area don't trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.