Subject: Need advice on a project rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never modified the equipment of any of my games and generally I don't like the idea if the changes cannot be simply undone.

I have a copy of Broadsides and Boarding Parties and thought it might be nice to make sails for the ships, leaving the game playable. The masts will be removed potentially during play and the mainmast has two pieces. Pictures of my ships can be found below:

The masts are not strong plastic and so I was thinking of using crepe paper. I want to rig according to the info found here. I'd prefer to be able to simply remove the sails rather than pasting them on. Any ideas how to make it and what the rigging ought look like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gadi Oron
Israel
Rehovot
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Moshe

I think crepe will be much too fragile - I would go with a simple cloth - it will look better too.

There are some kinds of glue that can be unglued easily - much like it work with a Post-It. I would suggest you place this kind of glue on the sails at the right positions - it will allow you to quickly attach and detach them from the masts.

Goo luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Wanless
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally would use a thin cloth. If you want it the look wind blown; soak the cloth in a half water/white glue mixture and let it harden it the shape you want.
Also you could always build new masts to replace the current ones. Then you don't have to alter those, plus you could make them a be stronger plastic. When you want to play just pull the masts out and replace them with the bare ones.
For the rigging it depends on how crazy you want to get.
Something like this
http://shipmodeling.info/photo/displayimage-772-fullsize-Ful...
which will take a long time

Or something a little easier
http://www.1st-art-gallery.com/thumbnail/239805/1/An-English...
These pictures are pretty good reference photos to see how to sails should sit.
Hope that helps a bit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would use cloth or paper that you could shape and then coat with some glue so it keeps its shape... like Ryan said..

I would attach the sails with thread. Make holes in the corners and make small loops... then find a way to hook them onto the mast.. then you don't use any glue on your original parts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.