Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've looked over the rule file briefly (my game is due today, though I might not be home to have it delivered today as my mail driver is chronically late to get here) and there's something I'm wondering about and that's the apparently random elements of how units are deployed at the start of the game.

Apparently each power draws their forces at random and then deploys them according to the scenario rules. Thus apparently you never know what you're going to get in terms of either troop quality or leadership quality. Sounds interesting, but it may lead to a situation like a French force without Napoleon (presumably occupied with domestic politics). In a Napoleonic grand strategy game you really need Napoleon.

Have there ever been situations in game where the French are without Napoleon as a combat leader for a prolonged period? And how does the French player cope with his absence as he doesn't have anyone else nearly as good (then again, who does?)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ENEMY OF THE STATE

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is your version the 2nd edition? If so, where did you find the rule file? I've been all over their web site and can't find it anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I found it on the Geek, actually.

And I'm still not sure whether I got the introductory deployment rules right. I was wrong about one thing -- the French always start with Napoleon on the map. I have little clue how setup actually works though. Very little clue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ENEMY OF THE STATE

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you have the 1st edition then, and that might explain your confusion. It's really a shame that AP doesn't support its products with living rules, like GMT. Hopefully someone somewhere can post a link or file for the 2nd edition rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Grinch wrote:
Sounds like you have the 1st edition then, and that might explain your confusion. It's really a shame that AP doesn't support its products with living rules, like GMT. Hopefully someone somewhere can post a link or file for the 2nd edition rules.

I'm pretty sure I have the Players Edition, which should be the most recent. I believe that's what AP sold me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ENEMY OF THE STATE

Galt's Gultch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I meant your rule file is 1st edition, because the Players Edition (i.e. 2nd edition) rules don;t seem to be on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OP:
Check the scenario setups.

For example, in the 1803 scenario, the French get Napoleon, Massena and Davout (leaders), one 4-2 army, 4 fleets and 21 other armies.

You only draw the 21 armies (and the 4 fleets) at random. Napoleon appears in the setup of all the scenarios, so you will never start without him.

Note: this is for the original edition; I don't have the scenarios for the player's edition, and it is possible that Napoleon may not be present in, for example, the Spanish scenario. If he isn't, you must make do without him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.