Subject: Multiple special cards in skill check. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Kaufman
United States
West Hills
California
flag msg tools
Suppose you have two Trust Instincts or two Iron Wills in a skill check, what happens?

For the Trust Instincts, it seems like you draw 4 cards from destiny as there doesn't seem to be a limit to the number of Trust Instincts that you resolve for a crisis.

For Iron Wills, multiple Iron Wills don't seem to matter for the positive effect, based on the wording of the card. In other words, you don't get to be within 8 of the skill check to avoid the failure. However, if the skill check result is less than 0, do the humans lose two morale for two Iron Wills? There doesn't seem to be a restriction against multiple Iron Wills, so I would think so. This happened last night in the game that we played and we decided the humans lost two morale.

For the reckless skill check treachery cards, it specifically says that only 1 of these cards can be resolved per skill check. But it seems to me that unless the card specifies otherwise, you can have multiple of that card in a skill check and each cards takes effect on its own. Mulitple Red Tapes would be the same as one Red Tape. Multiple Establish Networks wouldn't stack, I don't think. So basically your engineering cards are doubled no matter how many Establish Networks.

But for the piloting 0 card (and I am drawing a mental blank on the name at the moment), you could have multiple of those in a skill check and have multiple viper activations. But another question is that if you had two of those piloting 0 skill cards in the skill check, would you need 3 strength or 6 strength to activate both of them? In other words, does one of the piloting 0 cards take out 3 piloting for consideration of the other piloting 0 zero card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steye
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The answer is on page 5 of the Exodus rulebook:

Do not resolve the same skill check ability more than once, even if more than one copy of the same card was played into the check.

And in other words on page 7:

The current player resolves the Trust "Instincts skill" card, adding 2 cards from the Destiny deck into the skill check. If either of the 2 additional cards had a skill check ability icon [other than an additional "Trust Instincts" skill card] the text on that card would also be resolved at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hobbes27 wrote:
For Iron Wills, multiple Iron Wills don't seem to matter for the positive effect, based on the wording of the card. In other words, you don't get to be within 8 of the skill check to avoid the failure. However, if the skill check result is less than 0, do the humans lose two morale for two Iron Wills? There doesn't seem to be a restriction against multiple Iron Wills, so I would think so. This happened last night in the game that we played and we decided the humans lost two morale.

"Within 4 of the difficulty" and "total strength 0 or less" are 2 mutually exclusive things. Even with just 1 IW in play, it's possible to have both happen. There are crisis cards with 6 difficulties. One IW + Jury Rigged means the total strength of 0 is still 4 within 2 (6 - 4), but low enough for -1 morale due to strength being 0 or less

Heck, the most extreme example is an AQ skill check vs. Starbuck.

7 - 3 from Starbuck's weakness = 4
4 - 3 from Tigh's special = 1
1 - 4 from Jury Rigged = -3
-3 - 3 from Assign Aribitrator = -6

Any value total of -6 to 0 means you'd pass the skill check AND get -1 Morale . -7 or -8 with DE

hobbes27 wrote:
But for the piloting 0 card (and I am drawing a mental blank on the name at the moment), you could have multiple of those in a skill check and have multiple viper activations. But another question is that if you had two of those piloting 0 skill cards in the skill check, would you need 3 strength or 6 strength to activate both of them? In other words, does one of the piloting 0 cards take out 3 piloting for consideration of the other piloting 0 zero card.
In theory, 3 strength in red would be sufficient. It doesn't say anything like "....for each 3 strength in red", altho since they never intended for more than one of each type to be resolved, this is moot as the worded didn't even have to account for any of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Kaufman
United States
West Hills
California
flag msg tools
ackmondual wrote:
[q="hobbes27"]For Iron Wills, multiple Iron Wills don't seem to matter for the positive effect, based on the wording of the card. In other words, you don't get to be within 8 of the skill check to avoid the failure. However, if the skill check result is less than 0, do the humans lose two morale for two Iron Wills? There doesn't seem to be a restriction against multiple Iron Wills, so I would think so. This happened last night in the game that we played and we decided the humans lost two morale.

"Within 4 of the difficulty" and "total strength 0 or less" are 2 mutually exclusive things. Even with just 1 IW in play, it's possible to have both happen. There are crisis cards with 6 difficulties. One IW + Jury Rigged means the total strength of 0 is still 4 within 2 (6 - 4), but low enough for -1 morale due to strength being 0 or less

Any value total of -6 to 0 means you'd pass the skill check AND get -1 Morale . -7 or -8 with DE

I realize that Iron Will can grant both the positive and negative effect. My question was based on double counting of cards, which the rules prevent anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hobbes27 wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
[q="hobbes27"]For Iron Wills, multiple Iron Wills don't seem to matter for the positive effect, based on the wording of the card. In other words, you don't get to be within 8 of the skill check to avoid the failure. However, if the skill check result is less than 0, do the humans lose two morale for two Iron Wills? There doesn't seem to be a restriction against multiple Iron Wills, so I would think so. This happened last night in the game that we played and we decided the humans lost two morale.

I realize that Iron Will can grant both the positive and negative effect. My question was based on double counting of cards, which the rules prevent anyway.
Ahh, I obviously missed that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.