Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please check out my other reviews at:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/145695/item/2459885#it...

Conclusion:

This is a story driven game. The best comparison is Tales of the Arabian Night, but this game has more "game" than TOTAN. In Agents, you are an agent during the cold war. Think James Bond.

I really like the components for the game and the artwork is very good. This is a fun game with a ticking clock while you play that is counting down till your doom. I like this game more than Tales of the Arabian Night and the theme is better (your mileage may vary).

I do like this more as a solo experience. This story driven games I think just works better solo. At least with my friends, I'm not sure we would pass a book around and read it to each other and there might not be enough "game" there for me. I could see this more as a game with the family or solo (where it feels like you are reading a book).

Components:

All of the components are above average. You get a nice mounted board of the world (ala risk). You get some character sheets (for good guys and bad guys). You get a few decks of cards that are good of quality. You get a book of "stories" that is very good and has ton of stories in it. The book is bound and should last through an "infinite" reading. All the bits are top notch and I was a little surprised that this game came from a small company. Great job!

Rule Book:

While the majority of the game is driven by the narrative, the rule book is above average. You will be able to learn to play this game from the book, but it could have been fleshed out a little. It seems about two sentences are missing and those are important. It was a little difficult to understand how the "bad guys" worked and how everything fit together, but if you sit down and play the game everything clicks. It also helps if you have played Tales of the Arabian Nights.

Flow of the Game:

The flow of the game is rather simple. You are trying to defeat Dr. Lobo. You do this by collecting clues around the globe and defeating his main henchmen a certain number of times.

The turn:

1. You move. You get two movements points. You can also take a plane and/or train and they have their own movement rules.
2. If there is a clue where you end your movement, you can take it (without seeing what is on the other side) or you can turn it in to the discard pile and put a henchmen on the board.
3. You then turn over a card from the continent you are in. You then choose a reaction on the chart from the card you drew. Then, turn over a fate card to get the last number you need.
4. You then you the combination of numbers you drew (and decided on) and you read what happened to you. Normally, at this stage, you roll dice based on your attributes to see if you pass or fail.
5. You then read the result from the book (either pass or fail).
6. If you fail, normally you draw a villain card which moves you closer to losing.
7. You then draw a villain card that moves the clues around the board and normally closes an airport (thus making it harder to move around the board).

During your turn, you can also "fight" henchmen/villains depending on if they are where you are. Usually, this includes rolling dice and seeing if you pass the test.

Depending on the conversation around the table, the games moves pretty quickly. The turns move fast as the decisions you make do not really lend to AP.

Should I buy this?:

Yes. Well, if you like story driven games and you do not mind reading your games. This isn't a brain burner by any means, but it is a game that easy to play. The game is fun as the spy theme is really fund and lends itself well. I like this game a lot. As of this writing, it is my favorite "story" driven game. It plays really well solo also.

If the story driven game is a turn off to you or you don't want to read a lot while playing, then avoid this game.

Survives the purge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Thompson

Las Vegas
Nevada
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those photos look awfully familiar! :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kassanova wrote:

Shush you! Those are some of the best Photos ever to grace the 'Geek.. obviously!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Myers
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kassanova wrote:

They are straight from this web site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.