Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard B
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First a disclaimer: While I am interested in the Napoleonic period, my research and in depth detail just breaks the surface, so unlike some other periods where I know much more about, here uniform inaccuracies and such are much less of a big deal, and some of the below will probably make a nappy grognard cringe.

Anyways, with that said, I wanted to replace the blocks with minis (my preference for C&C games), and for my first foray into this was getting things ready for an epic Waterloo game. (My epic version is a bit lacking in originality - basically just doubling everything on the official Waterloo scenario).

I thought somone else that may be looking to swap blocks for minis may find this list helpful. The criteria was: Scale is 1/72 plastics (this was chosen because they range is failry large, but more importantly to keep the cost done - the infantry basings were 3 solders for each block, so needless to say that number adds up); I tried to choose the best sculpts currently available regardless of manufacturer for each unit type; lastly, I tried to pick troops that were visually different from one another for each unit type.

For the Waterloo Scenario:

Allied Light Cav

Heavy Cav

Guard Heavy Cav

British Rifles

British Line

I'll note here that I am well aware that these are Pre-Waterloo Nappy, but the driving choice was that there were 96 figs in the fairly cheap box & they were close enough for my purposes (and could be used in earlier scenarios as well).

Guards Grenadiers

Note, I have not been able to get these, I cannot find them for sale anywhere; if anyone knows where they can be obtained I'm all ears

Other allied line infantry (in place of the portugese in the scenario)
Dutch Infantry

& Nassau

Lastly, I have no clue what to use to represent British Light Infantry as they appear to look exactly like regular infantry (or am I wrong in that?) If anyone has a suggestion let me know, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard B
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And now the Frenchies

Line Inf

Light Inf

Old Guard

Young Guard

Note, yes the above are actually Middle Guards, but I could not find any Young Guard figs to my liking, so its a close subsitution

Curassiers Cav

Light Cav

Guard Heavy Cav:

I haven't done anything yet with the Artillery, but thats pretty straightfoward, apart from getting the following (to replace one of the British Foot Artillery units just because it would be fun - I havent decided if I will put any special rules with it, but am open to suggestions)

If anyone has any other suggestions or can note anything I have gotten too horribly wrong I'd appreciate it.
Thanks!

(Now back to painting; an about half way done on that front, but the pile still seems huge...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Lastly, I have no clue what to use to represent British Light Infantry as they appear to look exactly like regular infantry (or am I wrong in that?) If anyone has a suggestion let me know, thanks.

Use one or two figures per base instead of 3. and, maybe, only the kneeling figures ?

www.plasticsoldierreview.com has a list of stockists, worldwide, someone, somewhere will have your missing packs

Will you be building a new base board with bigger hexes to hold these bases ?

Looking forwards to seeing this project grow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard B
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWAlbionUse wrote:
one or two figures per base instead of 3. and, maybe, only the kneeling figures ?

www.plasticsoldierreview.com has a list of stockists, worldwide, someone, somewhere will have your missing packs

Will you be building a new base board with bigger hexes to hold these bases ?

Looking forwards to seeing this project grow.

Thanks, I figured I would do something like that with the Light Inf., and maybe make them all have differnt colored facings from the regular inf. & grey rather than white trousers to help differentiate them a bit.

I didnt know their was a stocklist there, I'll check it out.

And yes, much larger hexes. If you have ever seen the rolled up grass mats for model railroads like this:

I picked up one of those which just happens be the exact same size as the surface of my pool table (errr, the battlefield). I spent a night drawing hexes on it with a sharpie. Now just have to get all the troops done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Cutner
Canada
Courtice
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For rockets, look at my 'Saratoga' scenario post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ground Pounder
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several companies that sell gaming mats with preprinted hexes. These are pricier than the railroad ones but much more durable, sometimes using a felt type material instead of the grassy bits that fall off with wear.

You can also get good advice and find second hand minis from theminiaturespage.com. There are some real experts on their fora.

In any case, hats off to you (I couldn't imagine doing all of that sharpie work) and can't wait to see your work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if you are feeling rich..

http://www.hotzmats.com/command_mat.html

and even richer...

http://www.kallistra.co.uk/index.php?page=37

years ago, my friend and I played a lot of 20mm Nappy games. He used one shooting figure per base for light infantry, either standing or kneeling. Was a good way of using them up, out of the packs, so the line infantry could be marching / similar poses.

He also used a yellow highlight on the bases to make them stand out at a distance. Colouring the pants gray would work too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Symons
Belgium
Leuven
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will you be painting the mini's, or just use them in their plastic color instead of blocks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Declan Breen
United Kingdom
Fermanagh
Northern Ireland \ Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Richard great idea. I have done something simular for ancients. I have used 10mm figs as well as 1/72 plastic figs and kallistra Hexon tiles. See the link below

http://thediceiscast.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/C%20and%20C....

I am currently planning to do Waterloo with 6mm figs and the same kallistra tiles.

http://thediceiscast.blogspot.co.uk/search/label/C%20and%20C...

We did a Break Through Vimiero game alot of fun.

http://thediceiscast.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/break-through-vi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david Gorman
Ireland
flag msg tools
Ive done something similar replacing each block with a single painted 1/72 figure

Ive posted it on
http://www.ccnapoleonics.net/index.php?option=com_kunena&vie...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark motley
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If it matters, the figures you identified for Guard Heavy Cavalry are neither guards nor heavy, they are Hussars, which are light cavalry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david Gorman
Ireland
flag msg tools
HAT do some French Horse Grenadiers which is what I used

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard B
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wmmotley wrote:
If it matters, the figures you identified for Guard Heavy Cavalry are neither guards nor heavy, they are Hussars, which are light cavalry.

I did not know this, Thanks! I'll make them the light cav then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.